Path for ISO Share Folders

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
T-One
New here

Path for ISO Share Folders

Post by T-One »

Hello,

is it possible to set a path where the mounted ISO Share folders are displayed? If i Mount a ISO file via the "ISO Share Folders" Menu the mounted ISO will be displayed at the top of my NAS in /[isofoldername] but i want them to be mounted in a subfolder of my qnap, is that possible? I have about 40 ISO-Files to mount and with all ISOs mounted at the top-level it will be get pretty messy.

Thanks in advance

T-One
T-One
New here

Re: Path for ISO Share Folders

Post by T-One »

nobody an idea?
T-One
New here

Post by T-One »

*bump*

best support page ever.... is here even someone from qnap who gives a damn...?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

A wish is a wish ... what you you expect?

Further on, this is community forum and not an official support channel. Support can't help on suggested features and wishes. TIme will tell if you find more users supporting your suggestion, and raising the demand, or if you will reamin alone with the idea.
T-One
New here

Post by T-One »

It was a question if it is possible...... not a wish or feature-request. so regarding to your answer i think its not possible at all?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Look, anything is possible - however its not implemented in this way...
T-One
New here

Post by T-One »

Do you know where the qnap software stores the configs for the loop mounts?
maybe i can change them by hand...
TascaP
New here

Post by TascaP »

Good suggestion!

Any news?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

T-One wrote:Do you know where the qnap software stores the configs for the loop mounts?
maybe i can change them by hand...
If you don't want to use the built-in functionality for this, then you should not mess with the config file it uses at all.
You can mount ISO images on your NAS using the same "mount" commands as any other Linux distro.

To figure out how to do this please consult Google.

There are issues to consider when working on an embedded Linux machine, so please research this very carefully.
For example the "/etc/fstab" on your NAS resides in the RAMdisk, so you'll need to figure out how to manipulate it safely at each boot to get the desired results. If you are Linux CLI savvy, then perhaps you'll want to look into it. If you aren't then you would be well advised to not attempt it.

I can share that it is possible. (I do it here, in order to support my PXE Server on my NAS). I am loath to provide a script example of how I do it, as playing with the "mount" command can be dangerous if not used properly. Please research it yourself, so that you are fully aware of the issues in play.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
denniskarlsson
New here

Post by denniskarlsson »

Old thread. But this really need to be fixed.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

denniskarlsson wrote:Old thread. But this really need to be fixed.
It ain't broken.

We can't do much to help you with your undisclosed Firmware Version/Build on your NAS Model: None. Perhaps if you provided some information for us we could actually help. Have you tired looking at the correct manual for whatever NAS model you are actually using?

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

denniskarlsson
New here

Post by denniskarlsson »

pwilson wrote:
denniskarlsson wrote:Old thread. But this really need to be fixed.
It ain't broken.

We can't do much to help you with your undisclosed Firmware Version/Build on your NAS Model: None. Perhaps if you provided some information for us we could actually help. Have you tired looking at the correct manual for whatever NAS model you are actually using?
The problem is that the path is not configurable from the GUI and that problem is not fixed.

My NAS is not selectable in the forum.

Operating System used to access the NAS. Linux
TS-869 Pro
Firmware 4.1.4 20150522
IEEE 802.3ad
RAID6
Number of drives 8
Seagate and WD 3TB
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

denniskarlsson wrote:The problem is that the path is not configurable from the GUI and that problem is not fixed.
There is nothing to "fix" as it isn't broken. It simply was never designed to work the way you want.

It could of course be implemented as a new feature, if enough people requests it. Considering the action in this thread, the demand seem to be minimal but please contact Qnap support and request the feature with Qnap instead. The community here in the forum doesn't decide on what new features will be implemented.
My NAS is not selectable in the forum.
Yes it is. TS-X69 Pro applies to the complete line of TS-X69 Pro models, regardless of number of disk bays (the "X" signifies that it could be replaced with any number, including an "8").
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
denniskarlsson
New here

Post by denniskarlsson »

P3R wrote:It simply was never designed to work the way you want.
That IS the problem. And problems can be fixed. This one... very easily.

P3R wrote:...but please contact Qnap support and request the feature with Qnap instead.
I guess I'll do that.

P3R wrote:Yes it is. TS-X69 Pro applies to the complete line of TS-X69 Pro models, regardless of number of disk bays (the "X" signifies that it could be replaced with any number, including an "8").
ok, didn't see that. Thank you.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

denniskarlsson wrote: The problem is that the path is not configurable from the GUI and that problem is not fixed.
Forgive me, but the QNAP design makes perfect sense. They are mounted as "shares" so they can be mounted/dismounted at will. You can always setup an "ISOs" share, and then create symlinks to point to each individual ISO share as you desire from there. This would give you the "logical" layout you want, without breaking anything. :twisted:

(I too am a Linux user. I've been running Linux since 1991).

If you insist on doing this manually, simply add your mount commands to your NAS's "autorun.sh" file. (I definitely do not recommend doing this), and then manually create "shares" to point to these folders. It would be far safer to use the symlinks via a dummy "ISOs" share to provide the logical structure you are looking for.

All your "shares", including ISO Shares, get mounted at /share under QNAP's design.

Remember that creating a ISO share is a two step process, these steps are done automatically by the Firmware.
  1. It mounts the ISO file to a folder (via a Loop device)
  2. It shares the newly mounted ISO folder out via AFS, SMB/CIFS, and NFS so all your client devices can access it.
I won't help with an "autorun.sh" file for this purpose, but I am willing to help you create an "ISOs" dummy share, with symlinks to the real ones. If you want to pursue this idea, simply create the ISO shares using the Firmware, and explain the logical structure you are looking for:

Perhaps you want a logical structure such as:
/share/ISOs/Ubuntu
/share/ISOs/Redhat
/share/ISOs/Win8
/share/ISOs/Win7Sp3

I need more information in order to be able to help.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”