TS-509 Pro System Boot hangs

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
FeverNightFever
New here

TS-509 Pro System Boot hangs

Post by FeverNightFever »

Hi,-

I'm running a TS-509 Pro with 5 HD's in RAID 5, using firmware 3.3.0.0629.

After initiating shutdown by briefly holding the Power button, the unit did not go through the usual shutdown procedure but instead, instantly powered off.

Since then the unit is no longer able to boot.

When powering on unit, there is a permanent red light in HD 5 indicator, permanent blue light in USB indicator, intermittent orange light in LAN indicator and display shows "SYSTEM BOOTING" with arrows ">" running endlessly. The system fan runs at a constant fairly high RPM.

Powering on unit without any HD's results in the same behaviour.

Please advise.

Thank You and Best Regards.
Don
Guru

Re: TS-509 Pro System Boot hangs

Post by Don »

Connect a monitor to the back of the 509 to watch the boot messages.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
FeverNightFever
New here

Hi,-

Your quick reply is greatly appreciated.

Connected a monitor to the "Reserved" connector on the back of the unit.

Powering on unit with or without HD's results in the same behaviour.

Monitor does not receive any signal.

Please advise.

Thank You and Best Regards,-
FeverNightFever
New here

Additional information:

No beeps are heard.

After approx 15 minutes the blue light in USB indicator goes off and the top INFO indicator starts flashing green.

Permanent red light in HD 5 indicator, Intermittent orange light in LAN indicator and display showing "SYSTEM BOOTING" with arrows ">" running, continues.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Did you reboot after you connected the monitor?

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
FeverNightFever
New here

Well,- you can't really term it a "reboot" I guess, because there's not booting going...

But yes, I had the unit powered OFF, then connected the monitor, then powered the unit ON.

Thank You and Best Regards,-
FeverNightFever
New here

The below is a MSN Messenger conversation I just had with QNAP support. From this, apparently the diagnose is "U-BOOT/BIOS Boot Fail" with a recommended return to dealer/distributor for checking/repair.

I assume this means there is nothing more I (the user), can do by myself?
Conversation with q.support@hotmail.com
(20:57:35) FeverNightFever: Hello. Looking for support for my TS-509 Pro, please
(20:58:12) QNAP: sure please
(20:58:39) FeverNightFever: My name is FeverNightFever. I logged in a support form on the QNAP site yesterday
(21:01:20) QNAP: ok
(21:01:37) QNAP: Please follow below procedures to test the problem before sending back to the local dealer/distributor for checking and repairing.
Remove all the HDD(s) from the NAS, press the power button.
Check: LED on the from panel turns on ?
=>No: P1: Can Not Power On
Check: The NAS sound a short beep ?
=>No: P2: U-BOOT/BIOS Boot Fail
Check: After 2-4 minutes, the NAS sound one or three long beep(s)
=>No: P3: Firmware on Flash/DOM failure
Check: Connect the NAS to PC directly and run QNAP Finder. Finder should find the NAS.
=>No: P4: Network Failure
Check: Hot-plug the working HDD(s) then click the details button. All the HDDs should be on the list.
=>No: P5: Drive Bay Failure (Note: Make sure the HDDs are on the QNAP HDD compatibility list and working.)
Note: Do not re-initialize the system when the QNAP Finder prompt a message, if you have some useful data in the disk
(21:04:39) FeverNightFever: Well... Eh.... I get guess my unit fails at P2.... I get some lights and the display works, but after that nothing really happens anymore.... and there is no beep
(21:05:28) QNAP: i see
(21:05:45) QNAP: Please send it back to the local dealer/distributor for checking and repairing.
(21:07:22) FeverNightFever: OK, I was sort of expecting that would be required, I just wanted to make sure there was NOTHING for me to do. Thank you
(21:07:45) QNAP: welcome :D
Floydman
First post

Post by Floydman »

Hey FeverNightFever did you ever get it repaired and working?

My TS-639 is now doing the same thing.
FeverNightFever
New here

For the final chapter in the story...

I removed my harddrives and turned in the unit to the dealer, who made clear that there is no local support here (Bangkok, Thailand) and therefore the unit would be sent to Taiwan. Dealer said expected time to repair would be 1 month.

In fact it turned out to be 7 weeks, after which I received a different unit (Different MACs and Serial... and a couple of scratches). From the condition it must be a "refurbished" unit, or perhaps more likely a returned unit. Dealer claims this is what they got back from Taiwan. Procedure was free of charge (Unit is under warranty).

I mounted the harddrives and unit booted up, configuration automatically restored. The unit had the original firmware, so I upgraded it to the latest version and the unit is now running as before the issue occurred.

On the positive side: I now got my data back online

On the not so positive side: This was exactly the one and only thing that I had concerns about before purchasing the unit... If the thing breaks, you are proper f****d! You are 110% at the mercy of your dealer and QNAP. This would definately not be the case if I had chosen a NAS solution based on standard hardware/software (homebuilt or otherwise). With standard components I would have had 100s of possibilities to fix this myself, instead I had to be without my data for 7 WEEKS.

I doubt that I will be going for proprietary device like this, ever again.

Lesson learned and shared. Good luck.
QNAPFrances

Post by QNAPFrances »

Floydman wrote:Hey FeverNightFever did you ever get it repaired and working?

My TS-639 is now doing the same thing.
Hi Floyman,

Please un-plug all the disks and then power on the NAS first.
If you can hear one beep, you may do a reflash DOM procedure on your own or contact our Tech Support and let us help remotely.
franz.skaaning
New here

Post by franz.skaaning »

I am experiencing the same with my TS-509 now. No beeb after power on with no disks. My NAS is aldo on wars ty, so I guess I Will need to hand it over to the dealer.
Franz Skaaning
TS-509 / SSOTS
patbaker82
Getting the hang of things

Post by patbaker82 »

My TS-509 just encountered the same thing. I will attempt to connect a monitor to it tomorrow to see if I can discover anything. Super disappointed.
patbaker82

Post by patbaker82 »

No luck. No monitor output, just completely dead. Looks like I've gained a heavy paper weight. To note, this happened when I updated to the latest firmware; 3.5.0 Build0815. I can't even attempt to reflash the DOM.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

A firmware update does not change the bios on the motherboard so you should see something on the screen when you power it on.

patbaker82

Post by patbaker82 »

Don wrote:A firmware update does not change the bios on the motherboard so you should see something on the screen when you power it on.
I agree with you, however I don't see anything. Looks to be a malfunction with the motherboard.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”