Google Music Qpkg

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
hartam01
Starting out

Google Music Qpkg

Post by hartam01 »

A qpkg that will run on the qnap server to integrate with an account associated with the google music.

http://music.google.com/about/
spoon.uk
Been there, done that

Re: Google Music Qpkg

Post by spoon.uk »

Which part of Google music has Linux/Windows client?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Can't find an official API - so doubt there are any third party integrations yet.

Certainly the Android Music app (com.google.android.music) for Android 2.2 and up can interface to Google Music.

Afraid, I'm not in the US, so can't confirm the exact functionality.
pERUVIANeDDIE
New here

Post by pERUVIANeDDIE »

I second this request
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

As far as I understand it Google Music is a cloud storage solution that isn't complementing but totally replacing the NAS media streaming services. What kind of integration do you want between them?

Music upload is a one-time action that can be done from an already supported client. Of course that could in some way be done by a software on the NAS but it is hard to understand the benefit for Qnap to endorse services that effectively makes their own products useless.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
gekkonaut
New here

Post by gekkonaut »

The functionality would be to simply sync one's Music folder on the NAS with Google Music. It would be a large initial upload, and regular sync's after.

Personally, I still want all my Music on the NAS - but being able to access my collection on my phone over my mobile network is where this does what the NAS doesn't do easily. Unfortunately my uplink is so terrible at home that streaming from google to the phone would be better.
watso4183
Getting the hang of things

Post by watso4183 »

Thread is a bit old, but I'm new to QNAP (just got my 459 pro+) and noticed the last this was discussed there was no linux version of Google Music Manager. Now that google has released the linux version, could this be accomplished?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

watso4183 wrote:Thread is a bit old, but I'm new to QNAP (just got my 459 pro+) and noticed the last this was discussed there was no linux version of Google Music Manager.
Have you spotted any source ode and/or protocol specifications?
watso4183 wrote:Now that google has released the linux version, could this be accomplished?
The availability of an desktop music upload application does not imply it's useable on a headless appliance.

Please keep in mind, Google Music is _still_ an US-only sevice. IThis fact is not limited ot the ability to buy music - but also to managa his own music library in a competitive way to the Apple cloud services. This is for the worldwide Google fan community and any Android user a big disappointment! In my opinion, Google Music can be recosnideed if it's available in the majority of the worldwide markets, and not before.
watso4183

Post by watso4183 »

Have you spotted any source ode and/or protocol specifications?
https://github.com/simon-weber/Unoffici ... -Music-API

As far as being US only, I can understand how this would impact you and other non-US based individuals desire to see this implemented, but I find it hard to believe that 1) I'm the only US based individual seeking this and 2) Google music will not expand outside of this restriction in the future.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

watso4183 wrote:2) Google music will not expand outside of this restriction in the future.
Why is the rest of the world for Google second or more third-class only, while for Apple 99.99% of the world are potential customers? Yes, I am tisll a Google and Android fan - but the absence of Google Music (hey, not the player - the clouud service I'm talking of at least) is a show-stoppper. This summer, my mobile contact is due for renewal - so either Google is ready to serve lower-class people, or they will start to loose more and more customers. Because this is really, really, really disappointing!

However, when reading the US are attempting to introduce CISPA ...

[quote]The end of Internet privacy

Right now, the US is poised to pass a new law that would permit US agents to spy on almost everything we do online. But we can stop them before the final vote.

Companies that we trust with our personal information, like Microsoft and Facebook, are key supporters of this bill that lets corporations share all user activity and content with US government agents without needing a warrant in the name of cyber-security -- nullifying privacy guarantees for almost everyone around the world, no matter where we live and surf online.

If enough of us speak out, we can stop companies that profit from our business from supporting cyber-spying. Sign the petition now![/quote][/color]

I think it's time to take action and sign here: http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_corporate_global/?fp
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

watso4183 wrote:2) Google music will not expand outside of this restriction in the future.
Why is the rest of the world for Google second or more third-class only, while for Apple 99.99% of the world are potential customers? Yes, I am tisll a Google and Android fan - but the absence of Google Music (hey, not the player - the clouud service I'm talking of at least) is a show-stoppper. This summer, my mobile contact is due for renewal - so either Google is ready to serve lower-class people, or they will start to loose more and more customers. Because this is really, really, really disappointing!

However, when reading the US are attempting to introduce CISPA ...

[quote]The end of Internet privacy

Right now, the US is poised to pass a new law that would permit US agents to spy on almost everything we do online. But we can stop them before the final vote.

Companies that we trust with our personal information, like Microsoft and Facebook, are key supporters of this bill that lets corporations share all user activity and content with US government agents without needing a warrant in the name of cyber-security -- nullifying privacy guarantees for almost everyone around the world, no matter where we live and surf online.

If enough of us speak out, we can stop companies that profit from our business from supporting cyber-spying. Sign the petition now![/quote][/color]

I think it's time to take action and sign here: http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa_corporate_global/?fp[/quote]

Not convinced I still want the Google Music cloud...
watso4183

Post by watso4183 »

Clearly this wouldn't be for you. I'm not looking to debate policies or access. If there are others that do want this and have the skill set to bring it to the platform, that's great. I'm not looking to convince you or anyone else that this is needed. Those that are interested and do want in will continue to participate in this discussion, otherwise I don't see how your participation in this thread is productive. You neither want nor need this feature.

Edit:

I've read this a few times and can't tell what tone this comes across as. From what you have posted, it does not seem like this is something your interested in and to that end, I'm not sure why you've commented. Many features both existing and requested will not be used by everyone, but that does not take away from the fact that they are valid and productive features for those that do.
Last edited by watso4183 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

watso4183 wrote:You neither want nor need this feature.
As mentioned before: I would like to - just like millions of Android users for example... There is not much I can do from here, not even play the promisosng API. Convinced, there are many more QNAP users in the same situation.

Heads up... CISPA will go down the Mississippi river, just like the other attempts before.

I really expect Google to wake-up and realize there are more urgent things than creating ugly names like Play Shop. The wrold wouldd prefer a real, legal, fully functional music shop, and the promised music cloud with a lot of marketing noise - heard worldwide, loud and clear. :mrgreen:
watso4183

Post by watso4183 »

If you would like to use it, you can. http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/19/how- ... -the-unit/
Its a one time setup using TOR as your proxy. After the initial setup, you can access just like anyone else would. As far as the android app is concerned, you simply side load the app.
I understand this isn't a preferable method, and it should be just as accessible to you being in Switzerland as it is to me in the United States, but it is a workaround.
watso4183

Post by watso4183 »

Hey guys,
Little workaround I've done for now.
I have the Google Music application running on my Windows PC (*same network as QNAP, though I doubt that needed to be stated)
I Made my profile ex: username1 the owner of the Music folder instead of Administrator (hope this isn't a no-no).
I Mapped the folder on my pc and pointed Google music to that folder as my music storage location. It's syncing perfectly at the moment.
Hopefully this does not conflict with anything on the QNAP.

Return to “Features Wanted”