iPad: stream videos from QNAP device

iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android
pablik
Starting out

Post by pablik »

Is there any way to stream videos over wifi on-the-fly using an iPad 2?

Thanks

Pablik
Q
Experience counts

Re: iPad: stream videos from QNAP device

Post by Q »

hi

yes.

option 1: any upnp client app (plugplayer etc.), playing only formats (codecs and containers) which your ipad supports: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ (it's pretty limited)

option 2: qmobile app by qnap, playing only formats which your ipad supports.

option 3: airplayer app by olimsoft (jonathan young), there exist also some other similar apps but i can't remember the names. it can play formats which your ipad doesn't support - however decoding happens on the ipad itself and performance is limited by its CPU (no hardware acceleration possible due to apple's restrictions) - so most HD content won't play, depending on bitrate, at least not without stuttering or slowdown.

option 4: using air video by inmethod. you need to buy their ios app and then you also need the free server software on your nas: qpgk for qnap x86 (intel cpu, NOT available for ARM i.e. your nas) nas only: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=234&t=44475. it can also play formats which your ipad doesn't support - however the transcoding happens on your nas, and on-the-fly (live) transcoding needs A LOT of CPU power! so it's highly suggest you have a dual core nas (x59 Pro+/II), and even on those it will have problems with HD videos - only the 809 can maybe handle it (for sure the new x79, but those are surely "a little bit" too expensive for home use ^^). that's not a problem of qnap nas or the software, transcoding just needs raw power. you can also do "offline" transcoding with this software, if it's no problem for you to wait for some hours that will also work on a entry level x86 nas by qnap (for example TS-239 Pro II). instead of installing air video on your qnap nas, you can install it also on your pc or mac (which probably has a faster CPU, for on the fly transcoding) and let it have access to your qnap nas share, see http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/ - however then your pc/mac always needs to be on, as long as you want to have access to your files.

alternative solution: transcode/convert your vids on your computer first into ipad compatible formats and copy to your nas afterwards. for example a free windows software to do that: http://www.formatoz.com/
I am Q
www.qnap.ch

I don't work at QNAP.
And RAID is really NO backup!
onlyalex
Experience counts

Post by onlyalex »

Option 4 AirVideo is really good. Im using it daily. Recommendation for on thefly conversion is a fast cpu, preferable an x86 model.
You can also do a regular convert to an ipad friendly format of your video, and watch it when it's converted if your unit can support sufficient cpu power for on thefly conv...

Cheers.
Nas1: Qnap TS-809 Pro "3.7.1 Build 0615"
Nas2: Qnap TS-119 "3.5.0 Build0816"
Nas3: Qnap TS-119P+ "3.5.0 Build0816"
Nas4: Qnap TS-212 "3.6.0 Build0210"
Nas5: Qnap TS-259 Pro+"3.5.0 Build 0815"
Nas6: Qnap TS-459 Pro II "3.5.0 Build 0815"
iPad2: 64Gig 3G "iOS 6"
UPS: APC Back-UPS RS 550VA

QNAP Comparison Cart HERE | 1Bay | 2Bay | 4Bay | 5Bay | 6Bay | 8Bay | 1U | 2U |
QNAP Compatibility List HERE | Online User Manual | Tutorials | Frequently Asked Questions |
arnax
First post

Post by arnax »

I tried option 3 (airplayer installed on my ipad2 and streaming from Twonky Media installed on my TS-239 Pro II).
Result is really not satisfactory. I tried different formats (mkv and VOB) and the rendering on the ipad is not fluent at all. Images are freezing, a lot of frames are skipped, sound is sometimes dissynchronized.
I guess that my ipad is struggling and not powerfull enough to convert the format on-the-fly, even with DVD-quality files.

Option 4 seems the only way to go (as I do not want to convert all my videos and do not want to use a PC for the conversion), but I am afraid my NAS is not powerfull enough too (I have a TS-239 Pro II+). Correct? Is there a way to beef-up my NAS? Can a Network Media Player be used between the NAS and the ipad?
Thanks for your advices.
Eliboom
New here

Post by Eliboom »

I use XBMC to stream from my TS219P but you need to jailbreak your IPad.
pablik
Starting out

Post by pablik »

I hace installed XBMC on a jailbreaked iPad2 and streams fine from a TS109
keule
Getting the hang of things

Post by keule »

My recommendation is BUZZ Player.
It can Play any Format without conversion and Supports upnp and Samba Shares.

My APP of the week :-)
QNAP TS-419P, 2x Samsung 1.5TB istalled, EXT3, no raid, Firmware 4.0.1.
maxsto
Starting out

Post by maxsto »

keule wrote:My recommendation is BUZZ Player.
It can Play any Format without conversion and Supports upnp and Samba Shares.

My APP of the week :-)

+1 :wink:
kasper_b
Starting out

Post by kasper_b »

+1
En1
New here

Post by En1 »

You can use Plex.
Im using it and it works great. (plex app for ipad 1/2 is like 3 or 4 euro) and install the plex qpkg on ur nas (free)

you can try flex:player also only difference with this one is that you copy the media files to the ipad itself so your not streaming it but it works alot faster.
greenwendy
New here

Post by greenwendy »

Should I absolutely jailbreak to make it work? hmm, I don't want to jailbreak, frankly.
enderlabs
Getting the hang of things

Post by enderlabs »

Plex does not work with HD movies. I have a 439 Pro and Ipad2 with plex. All went well with the installation but the streaming of HD content works very badly.
I have used also Buzz witch works better with HD 720p but not a great deal better.
Qnap TS-670 Pro
sc0ri0n
Starting out

Post by sc0ri0n »

@Q Very informative post, thank you.

I came across a new(ish) free app called Air PlayIt: http://www.airplayit.com/
It looks similar to Air Video by definition. I just played a couple of .avi files and it seemed to do OK.
bladepopper
Starting out

Post by bladepopper »

I've been using air playit before I got a ts212. I would be great if I can use it with nas. Is it possible to use air playit with iPad and nas?

Return to “Mobile Devices”