TS-412 won't boot after firmware update

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
CharlieHD
New here

TS-412 won't boot after firmware update

Post by CharlieHD »

My 412 was running very smoothly until I updated it to the latest firmware through the UI.

Now it won't boot. After powering it on, it gives 1 short beep, then a long beep a bit later. The light keeps blinking red the whole time and doesn't stop.

-I tried removing the HDD's didn't do anything.
-I tried pressing the reset button on the back, didn't do anything.
-I tried this guide to restore the firmware:http://docs.qnap.com/nas/eng/index.html ... ooting.htm but it's not working for me. I've got a Macbook Pro and burned the .iso to a dvd and boot it on my mac. I'm pretty sure it boots fine, it gives me two options (memory test and linux recover etc.) then it gives a few errors and after a minute says something like "Busybox version 1.1.3".

Doing what the guide says doesn't do anything either. Is the linux disk not booting correct? Or is my QNAP wasted due to a bad firmware upgrade?
CharlieHD
New here

Re: TS-412 won't boot after firmware update

Post by CharlieHD »

I could really use some advice as I need to access the info that's on it.
aledwidge
New here

Post by aledwidge »

Just came around your post, my Qnap is doing the same as yours. What did you do to fix it.
Any help you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Ledwidge
ppuls
Starting out

Post by ppuls »

Same thing happened to me on my 412 yesterday! i just wish i hadn't clicked the update button, as i was not having series issues.

any clue on how to solve the situation? i am quite unwilling to send in the has AGAIN.

an FW update should be clean, if it is published!

cheers,

philipp
-------------------------------
'if i could calculate as fast as you, the electron would be
forced to surrender in the face of my equations and the
hydrogen atom would have to present an excuse for the
fact that it does not radiate. ...'
(hilberts remark on einsteins calculations)

Philipp A. Puls
CharlieHD
New here

Post by CharlieHD »

Mine is still bricked. Waiting for someone from QNAP to reply to this.

Honestly, this is a serious screw up QNAP made.
ppuls
Starting out

Post by ppuls »

I've written to qnap' support and they asked me to send it in as it appears to have a broken DOM. It's on it's way to the netherlands now, i' ll keep you posted on the process.
Phil

Philipp A. Puls
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

CharlieHD wrote:Waiting for someone from QNAP to reply to this.
This is a user community forum where Qnap only occasionally appear. If you want help from Qnap support you need to contact them here.
'
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
CharlieHD
New here

Post by CharlieHD »

Thanks for the info.

I've written a mail to support as well. Still ridiculous, as a customer I should expect this stuff to be tested.
madoti
New here

Post by madoti »

Same problem here (Netherlands). Any news to report wiith regard to this problem?
Tried several Fora en Qnap sources, no luck. My Model TS412 just can't be reached.
Please help!
madoti
New here

Post by madoti »

Solved the problem with this:

http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Reco ... _based_NAS

For me the 2nd Option with Vmplayer worked.

However my connected external drives have permission issues. Permissions are set to 000 instead of 777. Several thousand files to be set manually??
And as far as I can see, permissions that in some occasions where set to 777 return to 000 (no access) state ??? Folders tend to accept the 777 however the files in them do not.
Anybody got any idea how to to fix this globally i.e. for the whole external drive at once?
Thnx
zol
New here

Post by zol »

Hello,
I've got exactly the same issue with my TS-412...
I've tried this http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Reco ... _based_NAS (both method), but it didn't work.
Can't skip "login" in Ubuntu...
I've wrote to Qnap support, but don't have an answer yet...

I've just got an answer from Qnap Support. Maybe I Will have to contact my dealer for reparation...
ppuls
Starting out

Post by ppuls »

I told you, that i sent mine in to qnap directly (netherlands) and i got it returned yesterday, with a repair-sheet saying "firmeware repair". I have just installed all the drives agian and am waiting for the boot process to complete now. Will give you notice, on the progress.

Philipp A. Puls
bayliner
First post

Post by bayliner »

Am I led to believe that an update from QNAP the company has now completely rendered my ts-412 unusable and I need a replacement? I have had some issues with this thing, but after this is replaced im going to sell it and move on. Truly uninspired by the prospect of having to send my "BACKUP" device to another country for repair, if QNAP cant update their software without bricking the hardware then it is completely unreliable. Thanks guys, nice f$%cking work.
jamesmoon
New here

Post by jamesmoon »

Well, add another one to the list here - having exactly the same issue after updating to the latest firmware (3.5.2). Have contacted Qnap support and am still at the "try the firmware recovery" step. Have had 1 go, no luck. Seemed to take a few tries of holding both the reset and the power button for just the right amount of time before the fix image was pulled off the boot CD. I got to the step where you're supposed to plug the HDDs back in (step 15 in the first method) and reboot but on doing so was presented with more or less the same situation as before - which is that Qnap finder finds my TS-412 but the IP is 0.0.0.0 and the firmware reports as back to 3.4.0 - but that's it. Server is unreachable/unmanageable/unconfigurable via the browser or Qnap Finder - anything I try just gets a "server is not responsive" error. I'm going to try the procedure a few more times before conceding defeat. Am pretty @#$@#d off right now...
fedoralinux
Easy as a breeze

Post by fedoralinux »

did you guys installed the correct firmware?
i can imagine that when installing the incorrect firmware, the devices are mixed up

i have installed latest firmware on both qnap TS 212 en TS 112 succesfully.
PC: dell laptop running Fedora 18
wd tv live as network mediaplayer

FREE cloudstorage on dropbox
dropbox

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”