A question about iso shares and 'playing' them

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
desnap
Starting out

A question about iso shares and 'playing' them

Post by desnap »

Could someone give me some advice about mounting DVD ISOs?

Ok, I managed to create an .iso file of a DVD using DVD Decrypter and stored it on my 239 NAS under /multimedia.

So then I created an 'ISO Share' using the above .iso file and sure enough, it popped up on the Windows network.

However, when browsing to this share, I was surprised to see it appear as a *set* of files, i.e. VIDEO_TS and a bunch of .VOB files. I don't know what I was expecting, really, maybe just a share with one file in it that I could pick with a player, bit I can see the logic behind the mounting :? Ho Hum...

Regardless, what I'd liked to do is play the DVD from the NAS using the share. Which players can play this 'share'? Freeware, if possible, or trial-ware? What do I select in the player, the folder or the VOBS?

Cheers,
Crush
Been there, done that

Re: A question about iso shares and 'playing' them

Post by Crush »

VLC Media Player will play this, either select the 'Folder' as the source (i.e., VIDEO_TS folder) to play the whole DVD including menu, or you can select a specfic VOB file within the folder.
Chris H
QNAP TS-453Be 4x4TB Ironwolf, 8GB RAM. QM2-2S10G1T, 2x Kingston m.2 240GB
QNAP TS-873 8x3TB WD Red, 2x Kingston m.2 240GB, 16GB RAM, MSI 1050Ti.
QNAP TS-419PII (firmware 3.6.0 build 0210). 4x Seagate ST33000651AS 3TB drives. Netgear GS108Tv2 switch, VirginMedia Netgear modem/router, APC 1500VA UPS.
QNAP TS-201 - still working but retired, QNAP 419PII also retired :)
Lian-Li EX-503 with 5 x 2TB Samsung HD204UI for backups
Main PC Gigabyte, 4790k, 32GB RAM, 30TB disks, Twin Dell 27" screens
desnap
Starting out

Post by desnap »

Thanks, Crush. I'll check this out.
Bob5AD
Know my way around

Post by Bob5AD »

You don't mount .iso files in the NAS you just play them like any regular video with the appropriate media player like VLC, Potplayer or XBMC.
redgoblin
Know my way around

Post by redgoblin »

Bob5AD is quite right to say, "You don't mount .iso files in the NAS" but you might prefer to do so on the client system for arguably simpler playing - in short, horses for courses:
  • No need to bother if you're au fait with where to find the ISO file, don't mind navigating your way there when you feel like playing one and/or you have its type associated with a suitable player
  • Mounting one onto a virtual optical drive emulation point in (say) Windoze has the virtue of being like popping a CD/DVD into a physical optical drive - in that Windoze then automatically offers to launch an appropriate application for the detected disk content (e.g. VLC for a video DVD). Keeping all my DVD ISOs in one place remembered by DAEMON Tools Lite, for instance, it doesn't take me many clicks to mount an image c/o its system tray icon should I wish to do so.
And although Crush is right about possibly diving into the VIDEO_TS folder and playing files directly, there's not much point unless some corruption is stopping you playing it as a DVD complete with chapter markers (as jump points) etc. Plus you'll find the video files in there have usually been unergonomically/cryptically-named by whichever DVD authoring system was used to create it. Should you want to bone up on video DVD content, Wikipedia's a good place to start or you could just skip to one of these handier references:
desnap
Starting out

Post by desnap »

Thanks, redgoblin. Lots of advice to consider :idea:

Return to “Media Streaming”