Mounting a drive over VPN

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
dthomas86
New here

Mounting a drive over VPN

Post by dthomas86 »

Hey,
I have set up a mycloudnas account and have VPN working thanks to this tutorial http://docs.qnap.com/nas/en/index.html?vpn_service.htm.
I have AFP enabled and can not seem to get my server to show up in Finder to mount the shared drives. Am I meant to use the connect to server method in Finder, if so where can I Find my servers ip to connect to?

Thanks
schumaku
Guru

Re: Mounting a drive over VPN

Post by schumaku »

On the VPN, the NAS is the .1 address on the subnetwork (resp. the client pool) configured for the respective VPN.

For PPTP, the NAS adress to use is 10.0.0.1, for OpenVPN it's 10.8.0.1 when I'm not wrong.
dthomas86
New here

Post by dthomas86 »

schumaku wrote:On the VPN, the NAS is the .1 address on the subnetwork (resp. the client pool) configured for the respective VPN.

For PPTP, the NAS adress to use is 10.0.0.1, for OpenVPN it's 10.8.0.1 when I'm not wrong.
Thanks for the email so once I connect by VPN using PPTP should I select connect to server and type in AFP 10.0.0.1.

Sorry I'm new to networking and want to get this working thanks for the help.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

dthomas86 wrote: Thanks for the email so once I connect by VPN using PPTP should I select connect to server and type in AFP 10.0.0.1.
Yes - unless you have changed the PPTP VPN Pool network on the NAS PPTP VPN config.
dthomas86
New here

Post by dthomas86 »

Would you recommend me to connect using WebDav instead of VPN?
Basically I want my shared drives to be mounted when ever I am either on LAN or WAN automatically. What would you say is the best way to achieve this? I'm using a Mac cheers mate.
brokamonster
New here

Post by brokamonster »

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue. I wanted to VPN with PPTN and then map drives but I can not find my shares once I'm connected to my NAS via VPN. The VPN is connected and working okay, and I can find the NAS at 10.0.0.1 but none of the shares, which I though should be at 10.0.0.2.

I've tried using NetDrive for WebDav but I've found it to be painfully slow.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

There is no "find" as the shares are not announced.

All you have to do is to use the URI \\10.0.0.2\[sharename] ie. in Windows Explorer.
xiaozhuang
Starting out

Post by xiaozhuang »

Hi, Kurt

I have the same issue. I am able to connect to TS-210 at home by VPN through PPTP and couldn't see any shared folders. I can see my remote computer has been assigned IP address 10.0.0.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.255 and default gateway 0.0.0.0. I am able to ping 10.0.0.1 but can not connect to any share in windows explorer. Please hlep.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

AFAIK you can't browse the shares using ie. Windows Explorer - enter \\10.0.0.1 or \\10.0.0.1\[sharename] in Explorer.
xiaozhuang
Starting out

Post by xiaozhuang »

I did use Windows Explorer but windows just not able to access the share. error code from windows is 0x80004005
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Get the same when using \\[yournas]\ and \\10.0.0.1\ - or just on accessing a share using \\10.0.0.1\[sharename] ?

If the regular way to connect a share fails (as it does - the NAS name is not announced over the VPN AFAIK), and you were forced to connect by ip, getting error 80004005 would make sense: This is typically something around access denied, wrong permissions, insufficient rights. Your network or the NAS shares might be cocnfigured to share IP access control.
xiaozhuang
Starting out

Post by xiaozhuang »

I get same result either use \\NAS_Name\ or \\10.0.01

My NAS is set up at high security with a very short IP whitelist. Is this the cause of share access denied?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Of course ... add 10.0.0.2 resp. better the complete VPN pools (according to the VPN settings) as trusted hosts, too.
xiaozhuang
Starting out

Post by xiaozhuang »

Weird. Eventually find out it is windows Firewall on my win 7 laptop that blocks the access. Once turned off, the share is then accessible. I though such situation would only occurs to OpenVPN but happens to PPTP VPN as well.

Return to “Users' Corner”