Surveillance Station Pro - only provide 1 free IPcam licence

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
maxilogic
New here

Surveillance Station Pro - only provide 1 free IPcam licence

Post by maxilogic »

Just want to confirm what really is the situation. I am planning to monitor 2 IPCAM with TS-212 and understand that should work without the need to purchase extra license.

What if I upgrade to firmware 3.7 (with Surveillance Station Pro) in the future, can it still support 2 IPCAM or do I need to pay for the 2 licence. According to the following link, Surveillance Station only comes with 1 IPCAM licence. Please confirm.

http://web2.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=4699
Last edited by maxilogic on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Surveillance Station Pro - only provide 1 free IPcam lic

Post by schumaku »

We were told that the number of already installed cameras on the "old" Surveillance Station will be migrated to the Surveillance Station Pro.

Obvious, the change in te licensing requirement is highly disputable - as all existing NAS are explicitly sold wiht two resp. four supported cameras. Something QNAP can't change on the fly, even when adding more cameras, o say finally updating Surveillabce after years. In my personal opinion, this change in licensing is _not_ acceptable for the existing NAS models in the field - as support for two resp. four cams is part of the sales contract.
AlexKe
Experience counts

Post by AlexKe »

Only TS-x69 will equipped with Surveillance Station Pro on 3.7.0. For other Turbo NAS models, the Surveillance Station Pro will be available on 4.0.

After upgrade, the NAS still can record, search, and playback the video without extra license installed, but the limitation is cannot change the camera setting before required additional license install.
//Support Resource//
Online User Manual: http://docs.qnap.com
Tech Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=4574
Download Center: http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=848
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Alex, You perfectly know this policy is not acceptable. QNAP is selling the NAS at massively higher prices than what the competition requesting additional licensing is asking for. The hardware and software sepcification were an integrated part of the product offerings, a part of the sales contract, and can't be changed post sales.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

QNAPAlex wrote:Only TS-x69 will equipped with Surveillance Station Pro on 3.7.0. For other Turbo NAS models, the Surveillance Station Pro will be available on 4.0.

After upgrade, the NAS still can record, search, and playback the video without extra license installed, but the limitation is cannot change the camera setting before required additional license install.
I sure hope QNAP-Legal has deep pockets. My NAS packaging and manual says it (QNAP TS-419P+) supports 4 cameras. I expect no fewer than 4 licences, if QNAP is licencing on a per-camera basis. I already paid for support for 4 cameras, I expect support for 4 cameras. (The argument that it does support 4 cameras, but that I need to buy licences to "change the camera setting" is not acceptable)

If QNAP wants to change all their packaging, and manuals for "future" customers, that is their right, but my supplied manual clearly states 4 cameras are supported. If I wanted this type of software licencing on my File Server, I would have purchased a Microsoft product. This is a very sleazy move!

I love your product, but I will not tolerate post-Sale reduction in promised functionality, nor will I pay "extra" to get that functionality restored. After the 3.7.0 Upgrade fiasco, I'm surprised QNAP feels the need to further alienate their existing customers. I can't image that the additional profit return will be worth it.

I'm already on my second QNAP NAS, I'd like to think that when I outgrow it, (which I will do), I'd like to think that my next NAS will be another (even more expensive) QNAP model, but this "Surveillance Station Pro" move has me seriously reconsidering my future NAS choices.

Respectfully,

Patrick.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
snedker
Getting the hang of things

Post by snedker »

Schumaku and pwilson .... i totally agree
couldn´t say it better
If this would be tolerated ... what limitation would be next ???
TS-459 PRO+, Firmware 3.8.0
TS-859 PRO+, Firmware 3.8.0
]
.:Plasma:.

Post by .:Plasma:. »

I came here to find out if there were iPhone / iPad apps for the surveilance software as I understood the QNAP to have 4 licenses. After reading this I think its made my mind up to go with Synology. Changing terms on existing customers doesn't fill me with confidence that other "features" will suddenly become licensed in the future.

Also it doesn't look like you have iPhone / iPad apps for surveilance anyway, so again that pushes me towards the synology.

Plasma
QNAP TS-431XeU w/ 4 x WD Red 4TB 7200rpm (RAID5) - FW: 4.4.1

Before I make my final decision on which NAS to buy can someone point eat a page showing the UK Prices for Camera Licenses? I've looked at the "Where To Buy" page but none of the resellers seem to sell licenses. I think it will come down to the price of the Licenses as I notice the VMobile app can connect to the Surveillance Station from an Apple device.

Can someone confirm I can use VMobile with a NAS and also the camera license pricing.

Plasma
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

HI Plasma,
Currently only TS-69 NAS series have the new Surveillance Station Pro, with 1 default license included. (firmware 3.7.1)
The additional licenses will be available at $55 each next week through QNAP online store with online/offline activation.

Ok I'm probably thinking of getting a TS-4xx or a TS-2xx can you confirm if I get one of these I will be able to remotely use the Surveilance Station on my iPhone / iPad to view camera feeds etc.

Plasma
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Sure, here is the app you need: http://itunes.apple.com/app/vmobile/id397737345?mt=8

Please allow the reminder: This is only supported with the Surveillance Station Pro, actaully available with the TS-x69 models only (ie. TS-469 Pro, TS-269 Pro [the later one will finally hit the market these days]).

For all other QNAP NAS, Surveillance Station Pro will become available later, hopefully during summer of 2012.

Apologies if it seems like I'm asking the same question again, I'm thinking of buying a TS-419P II.

If I read your answer right you are saying the VMobile app will only currently work with the TS-469, however Surveillance Station Pro will be avaliable for the other NAS's (inc TS-419P II) later this year?

Sorry for being so picky but I want to make sure I can do what I want before I take the plunge and buy one.

Plasma
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi Plasma,
Yes, currently Surveillance Station Pro & Vmobile are only available for TS-x69 series.
All other models will get the new Surveillance Station Pro around the end of Q3.

Jason
JoeJoeJoe
Easy as a breeze

Post by JoeJoeJoe »

So my several NAS boxes which now support 4 camera such as the TS-419P, will be reduced to only support 1 camera?

What if I only use 2 cameras on them, will their limit be changed to 2, and not 4?

Can you please explain?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

JoeJoeJoe wrote:So my several NAS boxes which now support 4 camera such as the TS-419P, will be reduced to only support 1 camera?
That was the QNAP original plan...
JoeJoeJoe wrote:What if I only use 2 cameras on them, will their limit be changed to 2, and not 4?
Inofficially, we were told that the number of installed cameras on the "old" Surveillance Station will qualify automatically for a license of the same amount on migrating to Surveillance Station Pro. However, this is not good enough, as the specs- which are a clear part of the contract closed when buying a QNAP NAS - say something different.
JoeJoeJoe wrote:Can you please explain?
I _think_ this disscussion is not finished yet.

QNAP NVR/VIoStor product management does still think they need to protect thier NVR business - and have not understood that a NAS with Surveillance does not substitute a pure NVR solution. Customers looking for a NAS see the NVR option as an added value ot the NAS - not as a replacement of an NVR.

Return to “Presales”