WD RED Drives (WD10EFRX WD20EFRX WD30EFRX)

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
dynek
Experience counts

Re: WD RED Drives (WD10EFRX WD20EFRX WD30EFRX)

Post by dynek »

Orderable is a big word :-)
They showed up on Steg PC: http://www.steg-electronics.ch/de/artic ... 0&y=0&cp=1
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Key differences are primary warranty and the on-recoverable read errors per bits read.

---
Red: RPM IntelliPower (variable)
Reliability/Data Integrity WD30EFRX WD20EFRX WD10EFRX
Load/unload cycles 4): 600,000 / 600,000 / 600,000
Non-recoverable read errors per bits read: <1 in 10^14 / <1 in 10^14 / <1 in 10^14
MTBF (hours) 5) 1,000,000 / 1,000,000 / 1,000,000
Limited warranty (years) 6) 3 / 3 / 3

4) Controlled unload at ambient condition.
5) Based on a typical NAS product environment under normal operating conditions.
6 The term of the limited warranty may vary by region. Visit http://support.wdc.com/warranty for details.
7) No non-recoverable errors during operating tests or after non-operating tests.
Longer warranty coverage The WD Red drive is backed by a 3-year limited warranty for greater peace of mind.
---

---
RE: 7200 RPM
Reliability/Data Integrity WD2003FYYS / WD1003FBYX / WD5003ABYX / WD2503ABYX
Load/unload cycles 2) 600,000 / 600,000 / 600,000 / 600,000
Non-recoverable read errors per bits read <1 in 10^15 / <1 in 10^15 / <1 in 10^15 / <1 in 10^15
Limited warranty (years) 3) 5 / 5 / 5 / 5

2) Controlled unload at ambient condition
3) The term of the limited warranty may vary by region. Visit support.wdc.com/warranty for details.
4) No non-recoverable errors during operating tests or after non-operating tests.
---

Sources: WDC Datasheets
Red: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/S ... 771442.pdf
RE: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/S ... 701338.pdf
TonyPh12345
Been there, done that

Post by TonyPh12345 »

hoit wrote:I might consider the new RED drives if WD offer a refund for the ** WD10EADS they sold me.
Why would they do that?
occamsrazor
Know my way around

Post by occamsrazor »

I'm definitely interested in these for my TS-239 Pro II. But slightly off-topic... Can anyone tell me if, taking into account their supposed NAS/RAID friendly features, whether these would also be suitable for an external direct-attached hardware RAID-1 external FireWire drive?
TS-451 [4 x 10TB WD Reds in Raid-5]
TS-239 Pro II [2 x 3TB in Raid-0]
pfSense router and Ubiquiti Unifi switches
Mac Minis, MacBook Pro, iPhones
Clarke
Starting out

Post by Clarke »

My co-worker and I bought the TS-669 Pro yesterday and bought 6 each of these RED drives today. We were going to go with a Hitachi but as soon as we saw this and the benchmarks today, we e-mailed our contact to get us these. So we have both products on the way.

We're planning on using a RAID5 when we set this up so we can try to answer some questions for you guys regarding these drives.
TS-669 Pro
6x 3TB WD RED in RAID5
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

schumaku wrote:The key for the HDD prcing are (beyond size and capacity):
a) RPM
b) Warranty terms
c) MTBF
Add to that list the Non-recoverable Read Errors per Bits Read specified. With very, very few exceptions that is always 10 times less for desktop disks compared to enterprise models.

That particular value is also more and more critical the larger the disks become.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Let me remind everybody about one thing in this sudden euphoria over WDs return with a usable desktop disk: using a very recently introduced disk is always a gamble.

There have been several examples of disks that have been on the Qnap disk compatibility list and then later removed when problems have started (several so called WD IntelliPower disks come to mind in this regard :wink:). At least this time WD will probably assist in resolving the problems but it will probably not happen instantly.

I do however find it very pleasing that the WD strategy of banning the use of desktop disks in NAS/RAID-application have apparently failed big time. :twisted:

Us customers that have been persistant in not using any WD desktop disks have actually made an impact. This is consumer power in action! :D
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

occamsrazor wrote:Can anyone tell me if, taking into account their supposed NAS/RAID friendly features, whether these would also be suitable for an external direct-attached hardware RAID-1 external FireWire drive?
As far as I know there is no FireWire-interface on any Qnap so the question is off-topic in this forum.

Furthermore since the disk is hardly even introduced yet, it have definately not been available for any mere mortals to gain any experience with it.

You should ask the manufacturer(s) of the equipment you want to use it with if it is compatible.

paolomarino
Easy as a breeze

Post by paolomarino »

In the Qnap compatibility list there is the WD30EFRX for the TS509 with no note.
So this 3TB disk is compatible with the TS509 ???
Thanks.
Happy Qnap TS-509 Ultra (Intel E7500 + 2GB RAM + 20TB WD RED) Owner :)
Happy Qnap TS-870 Ultra (Intel I7-3770T + 16GB RAM + 64TB WD RED) Owner :)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

paolomarino wrote:So this 3TB disk is compatible with the TS509 ???
No, since the TS-509 doesn't support anything above 2 TB that's a mistake.

The 3 TB model should, as all other 3 TB or larger disks in the disk compatibility list, have Notes 11 and 12 as a remark. I will make Qnap aware of this and hopefully it will soon be corrected.

zxlife
Starting out

Post by zxlife »

If you are wondering what the difference between the green and red drives are then this article may help:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/We ... ull-Review
QNAP TS-412 (4 x 2TB WD RED)
spc337
Starting out

Post by spc337 »

I took the plunge as my green drives were dying..

I suspect I may regret the early adopter status as the drives are "chirping" louder then any drive I've ever owned. It's not constant but the Raid 1 is still doing it's initial sync. Been a while since I've done that and with 2x2TB Red Drives, taking nearly 7 hours to Format/Sync before I've loaded any files.

When I'm not hearing the chirp, they are nice a quiet, over course the fan in my 439pro is causing more noise. Wonder if I can swap that with something more silent.

UPDATE - :oops: So the Chirping noise turns out not to be the Red Drives.... But my external backup drive that I was restoring from - that drive has been silent until now and given my distaste from the Green Drives and frustration trying to overcome the Raid issues, I jumped the gun with my conclusion.. Sorry for the confusion. Move along...
Last edited by spc337 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TS-439Pro with 2xWD20EADS SSOTS
redgoblin
Know my way around

Post by redgoblin »

spc337 wrote:"chirping" louder then any drive I've ever owned.
As one of the above review's conclusions was "Whisper quiet operation, even while seeking!" (underlined here by "No rattles, ticks, or other sounds you'd hear from the other drives. The Red is clearly tuned for dead-silent NAS operation.") you may have grounds for complaint there - if you're sure it's a Red making the noise. Are you starting from scratch or do you still have some Greens in the mix to possibly confuse the issue on their way out?

PS: Thanks for the review link zxlife
TonyPh12345
Been there, done that

Post by TonyPh12345 »

spc337: Thanks for the update (EDITed above) about the chirping.

Looking forward to your conclusions when everything's sync'd in and running normally.
NASGrizzly
New here

Post by NASGrizzly »

I intend to buy the TS-1079 Pro together with 10 Seagate HDDs. (ST32000641AS)
But since the price for this HDD sky-high I always delayed the purchase. Now I saw the WD Red Drives at a good price and considered to buy this HDD instead. But on the WD website I read 'Specifically designed and tested for small office and home office, 1-5 bay NAS systems.'

Now I'm somewhat clueless. Should I buy the ST32000641AS or the WD20EFRX? Or has someone a better idea?

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”