Bose SoundLink

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
max905
New here

Bose SoundLink

Post by max905 »

I am attempting to get my Bose SoundLink working with a QNAP TS-219P II. The hardware consists of a wireless receiver that attaches to the Bose system and a USB transmitter that attaches to the sound source. The USB transmitter is ultimately just a USB sound device with an antenna on it.

Prior to purchasing my TurboNAS, I ran VortexBox and it detected the USB transmitter as a sound device. I could then point the server's local playback to the sound device and — voila — I had music coming from the Bose (the playback client was SqueezeBox, but I don't think that is related to this issue).

This is a long-winded way of getting to my question: it would seem the Music Station should be capable of being set up in the same fashion; however, I don't see a way of configuring external hardware — other than the three default items listed under "External Devices".

If the SoundLink is compatible with the TurboNAS, where/how can I configure it?
sbresin
Easy as a breeze

Re: Bose SoundLink

Post by sbresin »

Would this mean you ever succeeded in having a nas detected usb speakers?
s
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

max905 wrote:I am attempting to get my Bose SoundLink working with a QNAP TS-219P II. The hardware consists of a wireless receiver that attaches to the Bose system and a USB transmitter that attaches to the sound source. The USB transmitter is ultimately just a USB sound device with an antenna on it.

Prior to purchasing my TurboNAS, I ran VortexBox and it detected the USB transmitter as a sound device. I could then point the server's local playback to the sound device and — voila — I had music coming from the Bose (the playback client was SqueezeBox, but I don't think that is related to this issue).

This is a long-winded way of getting to my question: it would seem the Music Station should be capable of being set up in the same fashion; however, I don't see a way of configuring external hardware — other than the three default items listed under "External Devices".

If the SoundLink is compatible with the TurboNAS, where/how can I configure it?
It does not appear in the compatibility list. See: http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?lang=en-us&sn=4096

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
sbresin
Easy as a breeze

Post by sbresin »

ok good to know
max905
New here

Post by max905 »

pwilson wrote:It does not appear in the compatibility list. See: http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?lang=en-us&sn=4096
Thanks for that Patrick. To be frank, I wasn't expecting to see it as supported hardware (thus coming to the community forums instead of going to support) — more just hoping that someone else might have found a way to get it working given that it was virtually plug-and-play on the Linux (VortexBox) machine.

I just took a quick look through the compatibility list and googled the various compatible products. It seems they are all wireless speakers or wireless headphones — i.e., devices that don't give you playback control at the device. Perhaps my best bet is to install Squeezebox, sell the SoundLink and buy a Squeezebox Radio.

In any event, thanks for the reply.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

max905 wrote:
pwilson wrote:It does not appear in the compatibility list. See: http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?lang=en-us&sn=4096
Thanks for that Patrick. To be frank, I wasn't expecting to see it as supported hardware (thus coming to the community forums instead of going to support) — more just hoping that someone else might have found a way to get it working given that it was virtually plug-and-play on the Linux (VortexBox) machine.

I just took a quick look through the compatibility list and googled the various compatible products. It seems they are all wireless speakers or wireless headphones — i.e., devices that don't give you playback control at the device. Perhaps my best bet is to install Squeezebox, sell the SoundLink and buy a Squeezebox Radio.

In any event, thanks for the reply.
I am successfully using a Creative Labs Play! sound card. (No it isn't on the compatibility list). I simply connect it to my AV Reciever using a Mini-Stereo-to-RCA-plugs cable. It allows me to play my music directly to my Stereo, using Music Station, or QMobile on my Android devices. It actually works quite well.

Image Image

Using a dedicated device like Squeeze Box, Boxee Box, etc are far more functional. I use my Boxee for my Movies & TV Shows, but I'm quite happy with the sound card for my Music. In fact both QMobile and Music Station will permit you to control both local playback on Android/iOS device, and your Stereo. You can even do so at the same time. It's pretty slick.

Patrick.
Last edited by pwilson on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
max905
New here

Post by max905 »

Perfect. You've given me plenty of food for thought. Thanks again Patrick!
bbrink
New here

Post by bbrink »

Hi,

I just wanted to report that my Bose SoundLink works perfect with the Bose Wave I purchased back in 2012 or 2013 and my QNAP TS-231. (Bose equipment of about same age as above, but a newer QNAP)

All I did was make the Wave Radio discoverable, plug the SoundLink USB device into back on NAS and push the button on the SoundLink. It shows up as "NAS audio Output" on the "Select Output Devices" menu in Music Station.

https://www.qnap.com/i/useng/tutorial/c ... ne&cid=167

I hope this helps others,

Bob

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”