Folder structure

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
sslarsen
Starting out

Folder structure

Post by sslarsen »

Hi, I am finally getting to install and setup my new Qnap 409 Pro.

I am not sure whats the best way to setup the folder structure.
Right now I have standard:
Printers
Network Recycle Bin 3
Public
Qdownload
Qmultimedia
Qusb
Qweb

I am going to use my nas with;
ISO DVD/BD files
avi, xvid, mpeg4 + other movie files
mp3, wmv
Documents backup
Computer backup files
Misc files.

How did YOU set up your folder structure? Any recommendations?

Is the Q needed as first letter for the standard folders?
QNAPSimon

Re: Folder structure

Post by QNAPSimon »

How to arrange your files and name your folders is really a matter of personal preference. Just bear in mind a couple rules

1. Public folder is by default open to all users.
2. When you assign access right of a folder to a group, this group will automatically gain the same access right to all sub-folders within this folder.
sslarsen
Starting out

Post by sslarsen »

I have for now put the most as a subfolder to Qmultimedia
Like:
Qmultimedia
- Music
- Movies
- Videos
- Pictures
- ISO DVD

But whats the deal then with the multimedia station, that is looking in the root of Qmultimedia folder. When I log in to multimediastation with admin, all the above folder is visible. I found out of this after I have copied multiple GB to the Qmultimedia Subfolders above.
And also, why the name Qmultimedia, are all QFolderName is Qnap syntax so you know its created by the QNAP?

Regarding access Rights, is this scenario not possible:
Qmultimedia\Pictures Access:(admins=full, family=read, everyone=read
Create a subfolder to Pictures called Family, with pictures only the closest family is allowed to see. access(admins=full, family=read, everyone=none)
So everyone can see all pictures except the family folder, which is only for family.

Make sence?

I can probably see the answers in other topics, but if anyone wants to help me save some time and just let me know here, I am gratefull.
sslarsen
Starting out

Post by sslarsen »

Examples, please.. :)
Joronos
New here

Post by Joronos »

Here is an example that will separate family/friends. Unfortunately, it requires your family to use a separate share to see the sensitive files, but they can still get access to the friends area. I know this isn't what you want but it might help.

- Create group "family"
- Create group "friends"

- Create user account "smith" and add to "family" group
- Create user account "share" and add to "friends" group

- Create folder "\\nas\family"

- Grant full access for group "family" to folder \\nas\family
- Grant full access for group "family" to folder \\nas\Qmultimedia
- Grant read access for "friends" to folder \\nas\Qmultimedia

- Put your family sensitive files into \\nas\family
- Put everything else into \\nas\Qmultimedia

- Tell your family to use the "smith" login
- Tell your friends to use the "share" login

:!: Tip: I wouldn't change access rights on sub-folders of Qmultimedia manually unless you are sure that any new files put into those subfolders will inherit the correct access rights. Also rebooting the NAS box may reset some changes (such as umask chown chmod) that aren't done through the web front end, but I haven't tried.

:!: Tip: Create a user account for yourself with the same user/pass you have on windows, then add yourself to administrators. You can map your network drive without being prompted for a password.

:!: Tip: When accessing your files across the internet, only use secure FTP or the SSL login on the QNAP home page. Do not use admin account for standard FTP over the internet.

:!: Tip: You can use the UPnP MediaServer configuration page to add more folders of stuff. So if you have some media you don't want your friends to see, put the media into the \\nas\family share. Use the configuration page to add the \\nas\family share and your UPnP MediaPlayer clients in the house will still see the full listing.

:!: Tip: If you don't trust a friend with full access, don't give it to them. Remember, if you give an account to a friend, chances are 2 buddies of his will get it. Periodically change his password and send an SMS if it is just a casual account.

:!: Tip: Some pasta sauces contain MSG disguised as 'flavour enhancer'.

Regards,
Joronos

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”