Thinking of Buying a QNAP TS212

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
heysidays
Starting out

Thinking of Buying a QNAP TS212

Post by heysidays »

Hi Guys
I am thinking about taking the plunge and buying a QNAP TS212 2 bay enclosure.
This is my first venture into NAS drives. I have four computers in my house with a multitude of ipods iphones etc. Two of the computers are running Mac Snow leopard version 10.6 and two laptops are running Linux Ubuntu 12.04.

I am currently with BT and have infinity with BT Home Hub 3 as my router.

I have a lot of movies I want to share across the network for my children to be able to watch on their linux machines and me on my macbooks.

I have read that QNAP software is very user friendly and as that I am not computer savvy this is a strong must for me.

Can somebody "sell" the machine to me and make me want to buy it, it really is a toss up between QNAP and Synology's DS212J at the moment and I am leaning towards the QNAP as I have read the software interface is very user friendly and easy to use.

Also one last question I m thinking about buying a Blackberry Playbook for my son for xmas as they have been heavily discounted at various places with the kindle fire coming out (He's a big blackberry fiend). Has anybody had any use of hooking playbooks up to the QNAP machine, if so is it easy?? can it stream the movies to the playbook etc. Our movie collection is quite large and I want him to be able to watch movies on his playbook via the NAS drive but don't want it to be overly complicated to sort out.
Thanks
Heysidays
QNAPMike
Know my way around

Re: Thinking of Buying a QNAP TS212

Post by QNAPMike »

Please submit a sale's inquiry.

http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?lang=en-us&sn=4575

Please see below link for supported software spec associate with TS-212.

http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?lan ... n=3881&g=2

Tks.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

heysidays wrote:I am thinking about taking the plunge and buying a QNAP TS212 2 bay enclosure.

This is my first venture into NAS drives. I have four computers in my house with a multitude of ipods iphones etc. Two of the computers are running Mac Snow leopard version 10.6 and two laptops are running Linux Ubuntu 12.04.

You might want to pony up some additional funds if possible. The differences between the TS-212 and TS-219PII are quite dramatic. See: TS212 vs TS219PII Comparison Chart.

Image Image

Based on your suggested use/connected devices, I am afraid that you will likely find the CPU/RAM contraints of the TS-212 will provide disappointing performance. As you intend to "stream" Videos, you would be well advised to consider the TS-219PII instead.
heysidays wrote:I am currently with BT and have infinity with BT Home Hub 3 as my router.
If you intend to use all of your NAS's "Remote Access" features, you might want to talk to BT, so see if they can give you a better device to connect through. Setting up Port-Forwarding etc on the BT Home Hub 3 is a huge challenge. Perhaps some of our UK Community members can provide some advice on this issue. (I do not reside in the UK (any more), and I have never used a BT Home Hub 3, my comments are based on challenges shared here in the QNAP NAS Community Forum by UK members).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
heysidays
Starting out

Post by heysidays »

HI Patrick
Much obliged for your answers. I will have to consider the upgrade on the NAS drive as funds are limited for this operation but I do see where you are coming from.

The home hub....I have been port forwarding on it for a BT client for a couple of months now and find this challenging, yes, but not unsurmountable. Do you have any further information about what other UK Home hub users have faced and why you suggest the home hub is a huge challenge. Effectively the macbook I run and imac I run are both wireless devices and to be able to upload from these machines I have had to set up port forwarding on both of them. Granted I have never had to do it for a Linux machine or a Blackberry Playbook but the port forwarding on my two mac machines works ok. It was a challenge trying to understand it but seems pretty easy once you have mastered what to do. I don't fully understand the software the NAS comes with yet as I have yet to install it but as I understand, once it is plugged into my Home hub it is viewable by all my machines on the network...which should be able to gain access to the machine and look at/play/watch the content in the folders it contains. Is it as simple as this??
Many kind Regards
Heysidays
heysidays
Starting out

Post by heysidays »

anyone??

Return to “Presales”