Reset Your NAS

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Reset Your NAS

Post by QNAPRei »

Reset NAS on the admin page
The Reset function on "System Tools> Backup/ Restore/ Reset Settings" is designed to reset all settings of NAS to default.

:!: When you press Reset on this page, all drive data, user accounts, network shares and system settings are cleared and restored to default. Please make sure you have backed up all the important data and system settings before resetting the NAS. :!:

Reset NAS by the reset button
When you press the reset button on NAS, a beep sound will be heard. The following settings are reset to default:
a. System admin password: admin
b. Network Settings/ TCP/IP Configuration: Obtain IP address settings automatically via DHCP
c. Network Settings/ TCP/IP Configuration: Disable Jumbo Frame
d. Network Setting/ System Port Management: 8080 (system service port)
e. System Tools/ IP Filter: Allow all connections
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
gijski
Getting the hang of things

Re: Reset Your NAS

Post by gijski »

When I upgrade the firmware on my NAS, does it affect settings/data/user accounts/shares etc?

I'm assuming it will behave like a combination of Reset Settings/Reset Button?
I am hoping it leaves everything intact though...
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Post by QNAPRei »

gijski wrote:When I upgrade the firmware on my NAS, does it affect settings/data/user accounts/shares etc?
No. The settings will not be changed after firmware upgrade.
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
rcourtman
New here

Post by rcourtman »

When i hit reset, i just get the page loading, so i leave it but it takes hours.... it seems to reset all the settings but does not format the disks. Does this feature also reset twonky media - including username and password?
johnA
Getting the hang of things

Post by johnA »

QNAPRei wrote:
gijski wrote:When I upgrade the firmware on my NAS, does it affect settings/data/user accounts/shares etc?
No. The settings will not be changed after firmware upgrade.
Dependant on what versions youre moving between you may need to change some values in administration e.g. for the smtp server and mail recipients.
netpapy
First post

Post by netpapy »

I have NAs 201 with problems with ip config.
He is no more recognize and i don't find the Ip Adress. Qnap finder don't find anything.
When i press on the reset behind the Nas, nothing happent. No beep.
What must I do to obtain a reset? How long must I press on the reset button. The Nas must be shutdown and restart?
Please help me.
Thanks
webbm
Starting out

Post by webbm »

Does that include /dev/mtdblock5 ? Might be the answer to this thread:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=1770

Thanks and cheers,
Matt.
aricher
First post

Post by aricher »

Bonjour,

Je suis en possession d'un TS-439 Pro et il m'est impossible de le mettre à jour en version 3.2.6. La version 3.2.4 est installé actuellement et moin NAS plante en permanence, il redeémarre tout seul. Quand j'essaye de faire des transferts il plante. Quand j'essaye de le mettre à jour par l'interface Web, il bloque au bout de 20 % parfois moins.

J'ai essayé en me servant de l'utilitaire PUTTY.exe mais même résultat.

Comment dois-je faire pour réussir à le mettre à jour ou pour Reseter la puce et réinstaller un Frmware qui fonctionne correctement?

Merci par avance
Kobayashidk
First post

Post by Kobayashidk »

Is there a way to reset my nas settings, without loosing my disk data.

I want to reset the webserver to default.
leophoenix
Starting out

Post by leophoenix »

If you want to reset your NAS without losing any data Following the instruction

1. Keep all the disks inserted do not take them out
2. Press the RESET button on the back of the NAS for 10 seconds until your here 2 beeps then followed by a third beep after ten seconds.
3. This will delete all the following: (Usernames, Groups, And Shares) but all your data will still be intact on MD0_share
4. then make sure your NAS is plugged into your PC not a router and set your IP on your PC to the following.

(PC: 169.254.100.101)

The default IP for the nas will reset to 169.254.100.100)

You can use Qnap Finder is it works, if not go to browser and type the IP address in for the NAS and there you can set-up all your usernames & shares & also groups up again, remember your data will still be on /share/MD0_DATA

I had to do this few days ago works well, all I had to do is set-up Usernames/groups and shares and point the share to /share/MD0_DATA/<name of folder>

this will also reset admin password and sql as well.

Regards,
-PHOENIX
biriani
New here

Post by biriani »

Hi,

A question, in case of a malicuos user that wants to enter to the content of the NAS.
He will have just to reset the NAS phisically and than he could just enter the user name admin with password admin ?

Regards
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

biriani wrote:A question, in case of a malicuos user that wants to enter to the content of the NAS.
He will have just to reset the NAS phisically and than he could just enter the user name admin with password admin ?
Of course. Or dismount the HDD and re-assemble the disk mounts...

Rule #1 in IT security? Prohibit non-authorized physical access to your system.
rinthos
Been there, done that

Post by rinthos »

biriani wrote:
A question, in case of a malicuos user that wants to enter to the content of the NAS.

schumaku wrote:
Of course. Or dismount the HDD and re-assemble the disk mounts...

Rule #1 in IT security? Prohibit non-authorized physical access to your system.
This would also be a case for creating and using an encrypted volume. Just make sure you do NOT store the key on the NAS (don't use the default key option, and don't use the auto-load option).
The downside, each time you reboot you'll need to manually login to the NAS and enter the passphrase to enable the encrypted volume.
The plus, if someone were to physically unplug the NAS and take it somewhere and power it up, they would not be able to access any data unless they could unlock/mount the encrypted volume (they would need to guess the passphrase). And if you use a semi-complex password (10 digits with letters, numbers, and symbols), it is unlikely that anyone would ever be able to crack that passkey :)
This does hurt performance quite a bit, but it's a decent mitigation.

As schumaku said, if you are afraid of physical access, you should physically protect the NAS accordingly. But the encryption option (if used as I noted above) can be a great protection mechanism for this as well. Just do NOT forget your passphrase or you'll lose access to your own data :)
---
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

More effort and overhead than real advantages. Even the best encryption does not replace physical access restrictions.

At run-time - neither this kind of encryption nor the competitors folder-based encryption does add any security.
jparrie
New here

Post by jparrie »

Due to another problem with my TS 412 (in another thread) I would like to reset the device. However, I am not taking the risk that the many hundreds of Gb of data on my hard drives will be wiped, so could someone just confirm that if I reset the QNAP, all hard disk data will be erased?

I have read the instructions above to reset without wiping the hard drives, but how can I trust this thing to do what its supposed to and not wipe it?

Can I reset after taking out all the drives?

I'm left wondering just why this has to be so difficult. When it works, it works well, but when it goes wrong I apparently need an IT degree to fix it.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”