Seagate ST4000DM000

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
animaleyes76
Know my way around

Seagate ST4000DM000

Post by animaleyes76 »

Anybody tried the ST4000DM000 drive? Seems pretty new...

I can't say i'm optimistic about it after the ST2000DM001 and ST3000DM001 issues.

Read that WD are doing WD Red 4TBs quite soon and then 5TBs at the end of the year anyway.....
LarsN
Experience counts

Re: Seagate ST4000DM000

Post by LarsN »

It appears to be part of the same series of drives http://www.seagate.com/files/www-conten ... 1212gb.pdf
Beyond that, I can't really offer much advice.
If there's enough interest, I could get it on the list of drives to be tested.
nanotech
Starting out

Post by nanotech »

Interested :) Please add! WD Red 4TB remains unavailable to me and I've personally had good luck with my ST2000DM001 drives (they came with the right firmware). I can buy these drives today, waiting to pull the trigger :)
animaleyes76
Know my way around

Post by animaleyes76 »

Def be interested to see how they do too
LarsN
Experience counts

Post by LarsN »

Added to the request list.
Matej
First post

Post by Matej »

Have you any idea when we will know results of testing? |'m asking you because we really want to buy 8 of them to TS-869Pro.
Chris16TB
New here

Post by Chris16TB »

Hello guys,

I sort of jumped the gun and bought 4 of these having reached my capacity limit on my array.

I'm on slightly older firmware having never had a reason to upgrade, 3.4 i believe.

When I select Expand and slide in the first drive, it never starts rebuilding. It detects the ST4000DM000 with the correct size (~3700GB) but after I slide the drive in, it never beeps and begins the rebuild process.

For the time being I have put my 2TB back in and am letting it rebuild until QNAP has time to call me back. I have left a message with their tech support guys.

Hopefully they can SSH into my box, upgrade the firmware or manually force the rebuild with the 4TB's in.

I dont see why these drives couldnt work, but am prepared to return them if needed.

UPDATE: I took a look at the drive in Windows disks manager. Its partitioned in RAW format as a dynamic disk. I converted to GUID Partition Table (GPT) and took it down to unpartitioned space. Am going to retry and see if that helps.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Chris16TB wrote:I'm on slightly older firmware having never had a reason to upgrade, 3.4 i believe.
It absolutely needs to be version 3.4 or later for larger than 2 TB disks to be supported.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Chris16TB
New here

Post by Chris16TB »

Problem is fixed, array is rebuilding with the 4TB drive in. I will assume that since these drives came out of USB enclosures that was the reason they needed to be wiped before use. Dont imagine I'll have any issues growing it to 16TB after they are all in either, but ill report back when its done.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Chris16TB wrote:...these drives came out of USB enclosures...
For anybody else thinking of doing the same thing, please be aware that it voids warranty on the disks.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Chris16TB
New here

Post by Chris16TB »

The expansion from 8TB to 16TB took ~6.5 hours it looks like. Really good in my opinion, specially on dated firmware. I had thought it was going to take over 10 hours originally.

I didnt know about the warranty, only went with them because they were on sale for $20 less than the ones without enclosure, plus i can reuse the enclosures for other drives.

NAS is for my personal use, low usage, so its not the end of the world they arnt covered.
nibbles
Getting the hang of things

Post by nibbles »

Hello Everyone

I'm going to pick up a couple of these drives today. I will be able to report results hopefully by tomorow.
I'm using latest firmware build on 859 Pro +.

Nibbles
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

nibbles wrote:Hello Everyone

I'm going to pick up a couple of these drives today. I will be able to report results hopefully by tomorow.

Nibbles
Why would you do that? The Seagate ST4000DM000 is not on the QNAP 3.5" HDD Compatibility List, but it's cousin the ST3000DM003 contains the observation:
Note16
These hard drives models have passed QNAP lab's compatibility verifications. However, some users have reported unstable experiences with these hard drives. Users who encounter any issues with these hard drive models are welcome to contact our tech support for direct assistance. The manufacturer has released a new firmware version for these hard drive models. Please check this link for more information.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
nibbles

Post by nibbles »

pwilson wrote:

Nibbles
Why would you do that? The Seagate ST4000DM000 is not on the QNAP 3.5" HDD Compatibility List, but it's cousin the ST3000DM003 contains the observation:
Note16
These hard drives models have passed QNAP lab's compatibility verifications. However, some users have reported unstable experiences with these hard drives. Users who encounter any issues with these hard drive models are welcome to contact our tech support for direct assistance. The manufacturer has released a new firmware version for these hard drive models. Please check this link for more information.

Hello there.

Thanks for your perspective on this however...
Although that is true, it does not mean that it will not work either. I have on 2 other occassions tried the very same strategies with 2 other sets of drives in which was not in the compability list yet worked flawlessly. I normally look at similarity on characteristics on the drive except with this model it is a 4 platter based driver which runs quieter but functionality wise has similarities to it's cousin. On either count, I have over the counter exchange to alternate model should they not fair well... and my environment is not always mission critical so I'm open to take a chance to see how it goes. And someone gotta at least try 8) to see how it goes result wise.... Nothing ventured... nothing gained :)

Nibbles
nibbles

Post by nibbles »

Nibbles

I had a chance to install them and here's some details of my own setup:

QNAP Model: QNAP TS-859 Pro +
Firmware version 3.8.2 Build 20130301
Drive Used: 2 Seagate ST4000DM000-1F21CC51

System Detected Them fine
They work fine using Standard JBOD
However had some initial trouble with using Raid 1 Mirror
- Initial formating would fail
- retried second attempt - format was successful
- Had to perform a full power down 1st (removed power) and restart which helped
- Process Completed at: 2013-03-26 1 03:17:51
System 127.0.0.1 localhost [Mirror Disk Volume: Drive 5 6] Resyncing done.

Nibbles

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”