New here

Rsync to remote NAS

Post by desyco »

Hi,

I would like to make 3 Rsync jobs :
- volume /Multimedia on QNAP to remote NAS on folder /Backup/Multimedia
- volume /Programs on QNAP to remote NAS on folder /Backup/Programs
- volume /Userdata on QNAP to remote NAS on folder /Backup/Userdata

since version 3.8.2. I can't select folders on remote volumes (only the volumes itself). Because I don't want to RSYNC to the root-folder (some volumes have the same second level directories), I have a problem.
Can this be solved soon ?

A second question : At this point I have to create 3 independant RSYNC-jobs. Wouldn't it be possible to put these 3 RSYNCs in one job (starting the second after the first has ended) ?

thanks
kind regards
Daniel Wilms
pwilson
Guru

Re: Rsync to remote NAS

Post by pwilson »

desyco wrote:Hi,

I would like to make 3 Rsync jobs :
- volume /Multimedia on QNAP to remote NAS on folder /Backup/Multimedia
- volume /Programs on QNAP to remote NAS on folder /Backup/Programs
- volume /Userdata on QNAP to remote NAS on folder /Backup/Userdata

since version 3.8.2. I can't select folders on remote volumes (only the volumes itself). Because I don't want to RSYNC to the root-folder (some volumes have the same second level directories), I have a problem.
Can this be solved soon ?

A second question : At this point I have to create 3 ** RSYNC-jobs. Wouldn't it be possible to put these 3 RSYNCs in one job (starting the second after the first has ended) ?

thanks
kind regards
Daniel Wilms
Check out QNAP Tutorial: How to Set up Remote Replication on QNAP Turbo NAS

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
desyco
New here

Post by desyco »

Hi,

The documentation is correct for Version 3.8.1 but not for 3.8.2.
In version 3.8.2 I don't have the possiblity to 'write' the destination folder (see Step 2 - point 3 where /Sales/2008 is replied) but I have to Select first '/Sales' and then I don't get /Sales/2008 as possibilty to select (although this folder exists !!!). And because the folder doesn't show up, you can't select it. Therefor you can only select root-directories and not the folder under this root-directories.

Please try, you'll see that there is a bug !
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

desyco wrote:The documentation is correct for Version 3.8.1 but not for 3.8.2.
The tutorial Patrick pointed you to is indeed pre-3.8.2 only. The documentation is however updated with the changes of the latest version (3.8.2 as we speek).
In version 3.8.2 I don't have the possiblity to 'write' the destination folder (see Step 2 - point 3 where /Sales/2008 is replied)...
This is your problem. You shouldn't write the destination, you should select it by double-clicking on it.

Yes, this is a change. In the previous user interface you could also write in the path fields but that is now impossible. The current approach is consistent with the user interface in RTRR and backup to external disk. It also make the risk for human errors less as non-existant destinations can't be entered.
...but I have to Select first '/Sales' and then I don't get /Sales/2008 as possibilty to select (although this folder exists !!!).
Don't double-click on Sales to select it but single-click to expand it's subfolders. Then double-click on the subfolder you want as destination.
And because the folder doesn't show up, you can't select it. Therefor you can only select root-directories and not the folder under this root-directories.
If you do it correctly, subfolders should show up and be selectable.

If they don't for you, then maybe there's a access rights issue for the user name?
Please try, you'll see that there is a bug !
I have tried it and see no bug using the intended method as described above.

Edit: the below disclaimer does not apply as I have now tested with 3.8.2 on both units and it does work as explained...
[Disclaimer: I tested with a 3.7.3 destination as I don't currently have multiple 3.8.2 units. There may of course be a bug preventing this function in a pure 3.8.2 environment...]
A second question : At this point I have to create 3 ** RSYNC-jobs. Wouldn't it be possible to put these 3 RSYNCs in one job (starting the second after the first has ended) ?
A valid question that I guess someone from Qnap needs to give you the answer to.

The new user interface layout with folder pairs does give the impression that multiple folder pairs should be able to run sequentially in the same job as it does in RTRR and backup to external disk. I have however not been able to add more than one folder pair either.
Last edited by P3R on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
bruceleeon
Know my way around

Post by bruceleeon »

Running multiple paths through NAS to NAS under a single job was what I was hoping to find here. The interface does lend itself to multiple paths under a single job, but I was disappointed to discover that this isn't the case.
Visit Computingondemand.com for the latest PC News and Reviews
NAS Reviews: http://computingondemand.com/category/s ... s-storage/
NAS Benchmarking Database: http://computingondemand.com/test-bench ... -database/

I bet you are the type of person that says things like "NIC Cards"
atnlsm
New here

Post by atnlsm »

All i am having the same issue after upgrading to latest Firmware 3.8.2.. Can not see destination folders. All else is fine I am able to log onto remote devise etc .

Believe this is a bug also. Am running model TS-459 Pro +

Any guidance would be great ?
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

atnlsm wrote:All i am having the same issue after upgrading to latest Firmware 3.8.2.. Can not see destination folders.
Any guidance would be great ?
Perhaps, read this thread before asking the same? Already answered above!
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
atnlsm
New here

Post by atnlsm »

what read above was that there is a disclaimer that the answer was based on 3.7.3 and that there may well be a bug in 3.8.2. What did I miss ?
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

atnlsm wrote:What did I miss ?
Exactly which part of
P3R wrote:You shouldn't write the destination, you should select it by double-clicking on it.
is unclear?
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
atnlsm
New here

Post by atnlsm »

the folder does not show up to click buddy. Am very capable of clicking it if it appeared. Is that clear ?
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

atnlsm wrote:the folder does not show up to click buddy. Am very capable of clicking it if it appeared. Is that clear ?
Kindly re-read this entire post until you have fully understood what is written there.
atnlsm
New here

Post by atnlsm »

Have you actually got this to work yourself with 3.8.2 installed ?? I have fully read it many times and as I said the disclaimer is very clear and the folders are not visible to click. Nothing hows up at all. I am not writing the destination I AM attempting to double-click them if they would appear. It is not a user profile or access right issue either BTW.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

atnlsm wrote:Have you actually got this to work yourself with 3.8.2 installed ??
Yeah, I have. It works exactly as described in that post. (Kindly note the "subtle" difference b/w single and double click to expand vs. select the destination folder). :roll: If "nothing shows up at all" then you are totally off-topic here since you have completely different problem, not "having the same issue", since the "issue" here is selecting subfolders for destination.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

atnlsm wrote:Have you actually got this to work yourself with 3.8.2 installed ?? I have fully read it many times and as I said the disclaimer is very clear and the folders are not visible to click. Nothing hows up at all.
I have now tested with 3.8.2 on both units and I can confirm that it does work. I have to agree with doktornotor here, either you are doing something wrong or you have a different problem.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
bruceleeon
Know my way around

Post by bruceleeon »

works for me as well... on more than one NAS
Visit Computingondemand.com for the latest PC News and Reviews
NAS Reviews: http://computingondemand.com/category/s ... s-storage/
NAS Benchmarking Database: http://computingondemand.com/test-bench ... -database/

I bet you are the type of person that says things like "NIC Cards"

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”