The system is unable to save your settings

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
SparkyMarcopolo
Know my way around

The system is unable to save your settings

Post by SparkyMarcopolo »

Woke up to a semi usable system this morning (no remote access whatsoever), 469Pro running firmware 4.0.2

Decided to shut the unit down cleanly and then powered up to a lot of these messages (insufficient ramdisk space). I have not changed anything and has been happily running for weeks. The unit was downloading a 6gb torrent file last night (which completed).

I've read about apps being enabled, I've the following Station Manager, Backup Server, DNLA, Media Library, Web Service and VPN Service (pretty sure some of these enabled are required for others to fuction such as remote management)

Any suggestions?

Edit - further investigation suggests the 6gb file did not download
westhaddon
New here

Re: The system is unable to save your settings

Post by westhaddon »

Hi I am getting the same problem. I too have the 469Pro
This is since the "upgrade" to 4.*
I have tried uninstalling and app and redoing the firmware as advised by qnap support but no joy.

Qnpap support have logged into my system and said that it was "now oK and to reinstall" I reinstall and it all goes to pot again. :(

I see a lot of people seem to having a similar problem.

I notice that there was a similar error about 2 years ago and again around the time of a firmware upgrade.

Any gurus or wizards shed any light on this?
Would it make sense to downgrade my firmware so I get a solid system again?

This one is up and down like a brides negligée :DD
SparkyMarcopolo
Know my way around

Mine did it last night for the first time, the unit has been fine and the firmware update was installed weeks ago when released. I suspect from reading that the log file filled up during the night, but I'm going to try the download again this evening and see what happens.

Until QNAP give some logical explanation, I won't be letting them touch my unit, let alone downgrading, etc.
forkless
Experience counts

Post by forkless »

You usually see this error when /tmp is out of space. You may want to check the process that is filling it (and or recently installed apps that may cause this).

For instance a server restart may have triggered the update of a QPKG that changes filelocations. Eg. I had this happen with a really old version of SABnzbd at one point, where it would try to unpack the files in /tmp after an update. Not saying it's SAB, but it could be something of that sort.

PS. When /tmp runs out of space it can also errorneously generate reports of HDD's being 255 degrees centigrade.
SparkyMarcopolo
Know my way around

forkless wrote:You usually see this error when /tmp is out of space. You may want to check the process that is filling it (and or recently installed apps that may cause this).

For instance a server restart may have triggered the update of a QPKG that changes filelocations. Eg. I had this happen with a really old version of SABnzbd at one point, where it would try to unpack the files in /tmp after an update. Not saying it's SAB, but it could be something of that sort.

PS. When /tmp runs out of space it can also errorneously generate reports of HDD's being 255 degrees centigrade.
..and how does one check what is filling up the folders please?

I noticed errors for /tmp and /etc referring to wireless_status and wireless_conf which the unit is not even using, coupled with a host of other errors referring to qpkg and uLinux.

The last time I rebooted my NAS was several days ago, it seemed a bit sluggish but today the Fans seemed to on overdrive. Also noticed the IP on the screen was 0.0.0.0

Seems to me there's several issues here, running out of space, resources maybe spiralling and as such the fans kicking in to cool the CPU, etc.
forkless
Experience counts

Post by forkless »

SparkyMarcopolo wrote:
forkless wrote:You usually see this error when /tmp is out of space. You may want to check the process that is filling it (and or recently installed apps that may cause this).

I noticed errors for /tmp and /etc referring to wireless_status and wireless_conf which the unit is not even using, coupled with a host of other errors referring to qpkg and uLinux.

The last time I rebooted my NAS was several days ago, it seemed a bit sluggish but today the Fans seemed to on overdrive. Also noticed the IP on the screen was 0.0.0.0

Seems to me there's several issues here, running out of space, resources maybe spiralling and as such the fans kicking in to cool the CPU, etc.
Actually the running out of resources, the fake overheating of the HDDs, fans kicking in is all triggered by the /tmp running out of space.

- Are you running any QPKGs?
- Did you manually add some script to your NAS that might use /tmp?
- If you are running Optware you can install the procps (ipkg install procps) this will install the watch command that will allow you to run the following commands from a terminal:

This will list all processes with a file lock in /tmp (every second)

Code: Select all

watch -n 1 lsof /tmp
or

This will list the directory of /tmp (every second)

watch -n 1 ls -la /tmp
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

SparkyMarcopolo wrote:..and how does one check what is filling up the folders please?
That's the challenge. Typical suspect are misbehaving Apps, corrupted config files, or complex MySQL queries by applications.

A good start would be browse /tmp and /etc for files growing, or recent modification dates, like

[~] # ls /tmp -ls
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 63 Oct 9 14:00 Disk1
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 7 Oct 9 14:00 Internal_Model
0 srwxrwxrwx 1 admin administ 0 Oct 9 13:03 airplay_svc_qnap_sw5=
0 -rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 0 Oct 9 13:02 antivirus.jobs
0 -rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 0 Oct 9 13:02 antivirus.lock
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 admin administ 43 Oct 9 13:02 avahi-daemon -> /mnt/ext/opt/avahi0630/var/run/avahi-daemon/
0 -rw-r--r-- 1 admin administ 0 Oct 9 13:02 avahi0630.lock
SparkyMarcopolo wrote:I noticed errors for /tmp and /etc referring to wireless_status and wireless_conf which the unit is not even using, coupled with a host of other errors referring to qpkg and uLinux.
These standard files using a few bytes are normal, and not causing the issue.
SparkyMarcopolo wrote:The last time I rebooted my NAS was several days ago, it seemed a bit sluggish but today the Fans seemed to on overdrive. Also noticed the IP on the screen was 0.0.0.0

All typical effects for root ( / ) file system, /tmp or the like full.

Be aware the watch example requires additional software installed, watch is not available on a standard NAS installation.
SparkyMarcopolo
Know my way around

forkless wrote:
SparkyMarcopolo wrote:

Actually the running out of resources, the fake overheating of the HDDs, fans kicking in is all triggered by the /tmp running out of space.

- Are you running any QPKGs?
- Did you manually add some script to your NAS that might use /tmp?
- If you are running Optware you can install the procps (ipkg install procps) this will install the watch command that will allow you to run the following commands from a terminal:

This will list all processes with a file lock in /tmp (every second)

watch -n 1 lsof /tmp
or

This will list the directory of /tmp (every second)

watch -n 1 ls -la /tmp
All I'm running are the applications mentioned in my first post. I've switched off Surveillance Station as I haven't a Cam as yet.
No added scripts either

Is the tmp directory cleared on reboot because if not, why have there been no additional errors?
SparkyMarcopolo
Know my way around

Errors came back again today, although I'm sure many of the suggestions work for some, once I reboot they stop. I take it something is being cleared which suggest a bug!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

I'm still convinced a healty y NAS does not flood the RAM drive.

Contact QNAP customer service please, referencing to this thread. Call back with potential issues discovered.
SparkyMarcopolo
Know my way around

schumaku wrote:I'm still convinced a healty y NAS does not flood the RAM drive.

Contact QNAP customer service please, referencing to this thread. Call back with potential issues discovered.
It's strange that this happened again when I was downloading a 4g+ file.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

SparkyMarcopolo wrote:It's strange that this happened again when I was downloading a 4g+ file.
...downloading HOW :evil: ?
SparkyMarcopolo
Know my way around

schumaku wrote:
SparkyMarcopolo wrote:It's strange that this happened again when I was downloading a 4g+ file.
...downloading HOW :evil: ?
Using the download manager, bittorrent file. Chill our angry bird :roll:

Ok, upgraded to 4.0.3 and will monitor. From speaking to support they suggested an incomplete firmware update is the cause.
pri
Starting out

Post by pri »

I'm also having this issue on my 469Pro running on 4.0.2.

How did it go upgrading to 4.0.3? Have you since upgraded to to 4.0.5?

Return to “Miscellaneous”