TFTP / PXE Qnap TS-219p II pro

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
pwilson
Guru

Re: TFTP / PXE Qnap TS-219p II pro

Post by pwilson »

wasalph wrote:Mr. Wilson,

yup, your scripts had help a lot, I was able to successfully load up Ubuntu like a live CD, just have to change some entries so to match my setup like folder structure and ip address of the qnap. After all these trials, I can see how this QNAP "feature" can be of help, unfortunately, not the one I am looking for.

What I was expecting to have is a setup that loads the workstation's OS from the QNAP. Whatever changes will be save back into the QNAP. Because I'm looking for a diskless setup wherein my notebook and a desktop will have no HDD anymore. And that I only need to buy one UPS for QNAP's use, the notebook's battery already die of age while my desktop is kinda old, so I dont want to spend on upgrading both. A WinXP, Ubuntu or any lightweight Linux distro should be sufficient for my needs, coz what I need is a spreadsheet and document editor (Libreoffice) and printer driver that would print to the HP laserjet that is connected to the QNAP (shared printer).

After successfully loaded up Ubuntu (using your scripts), I went ahead changing settings, wallpaper, theme etc. only to find out after reboot all these settings are gone, so basically its just like loading a live CD....unless there is a way to "save the changes"??
No your conclusions are correct. Technically you could modify the image furnished by PXE/TFTP so that it already has your settings, but there would be no way of saving the changes back to PXE server, so this would not be very useful for you. While PXE/TFTP probably isn't very useful for your "diskless" workstation aspirations, it could still be used for LiveCD images such as Hiren's, Clonezilla, ReDo Backup, Ultimate Boot CD, Parted Magic, etc, so your efforts with PXE/TFTP may still prove useful to you (albeit not in the manner you expected).

I have successfully used my QNAP/PXE configuration for booting to a XBMC LiveCD image in order to make "diskless" XBMC HTPC's. (I have since switched to Android Mini-PC's running XBMC for Android , so I no longer use PXE for this purpose, as Android Mini-PC's are completely silent, unlike my diskless HTPC's).

I wonder if it is possible to support "diskless" workstations via iSCSI. (I'm no expert on iSCSI, so I honestly don't know if this is possible. Unfortunately you posted to my pre-existing PXE thread, rather than asking about "diskless" workstations, so I had no idea what you were trying to accomplish.

Booting an Operating System over the networks isn't very efficient anyway, so you might find it preferable to simply install small SSD drives in your PC's for the Operating System. You could always "mount" NAS shares on your PC via Samba for your PC "data". Small SSD's are relatively cheap, and silent. This is what I do here. My PC's all have patheticly small HDD or SSD drives in them for my Operating Systems. My NAS is where I store all my data, as it is protected by RAID5 and regular automated Backups. When a HDD dies in my PC, I simply replace it, re-install the Operating System, and then reconnect my Samba shares from the NAS. (I store almost no data on my PC's at all),

The "Home Folders" feature of the NAS is useful for this purpose.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
wasalph
Starting out

Post by wasalph »

Mr. Wilson,

sorry if my "likes" changes. I'm actually trying out the power of QNAP, see what things it can and can not do. I was able to do some things which I never expected the QNAP to be possible (yeah, i dont read brochures and manuals :lol: ) I do agree the CloneZilla, Installation live CD, etc will be a big help one way or another, it will come in handy when my primary PC breaks down (knock on wood).

I found this Porteus (porteus.org) and tried it via USB boot, documents and folders and settings made in the client workstation is "saved" back into the USB... there is a "persistent" file. Additional modules installed during the use of the OS are also saved. This looks promising and one day will make my old PC up and running instead of collecting dust.

SSD are still pretty expensive in my country (Philippines) so I am looking at doing everything in a diskless state. Hope someday the Porteus can be done via PXE and still retain its "persistent" characteristic.

Jojo W.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

wasalph wrote:Mr. Wilson,

sorry if my "likes" changes. I'm actually trying out the power of QNAP, see what things it can and can not do. I was able to do some things which I never expected the QNAP to be possible (yeah, i dont read brochures and manuals :lol: ) I do agree the CloneZilla, Installation live CD, etc will be a big help one way or another, it will come in handy when my primary PC breaks down (knock on wood).

I found this Porteus (porteus.org) and tried it via USB boot, documents and folders and settings made in the client workstation is "saved" back into the USB... there is a "persistent" file. Additional modules installed during the use of the OS are also saved. This looks promising and one day will make my old PC up and running instead of collecting dust.

SSD are still pretty expensive in my country (Philippines) so I am looking at doing everything in a diskless state. Hope someday the Porteus can be done via PXE and still retain its "persistent" characteristic.

Jojo W.
Please call me Patrick. (Mr Wilson was my father 8)).

Funny you should mention that, I lived in Baguio 25 years ago. (Brent School).

Patrick.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

wasalph
Starting out

Post by wasalph »

Mr. Patrick,

Really? Baguio is a very nice place.
exzR88
Starting out

Post by exzR88 »

hi!
i see this post and i would know if anyone can help me... my goal is to use windows 7 diskless.. i have 469l and i see about vblad (dangerous yet) and iscsi. i have enable tftp on qnap and i have windows 7 (with ccboot if need) into .img file... now i don't understand with qnap how to link this img to isci (or other way) to send it by ethernet (with ipxe, pxe or something work)...

can someone help me?

reguards
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

exzR88 wrote:hi!
i see this post and i would know if anyone can help me... my goal is to use windows 7 diskless.. i have 469l and i see about vblad (dangerous yet) and iscsi. i have enable tftp on qnap and i have windows 7 (with ccboot if need) into .img file... now i don't understand with qnap how to link this img to isci (or other way) to send it by ethernet (with ipxe, pxe or something work)...

can someone help me?

reguards
Disclaimer: I am no longer a Windows user at all, and I have never used iSCSI.

Yeah, I know, a reassuring place to start a message. :shock:

That said, I have successfully setup my QNAP NAS as a PXE Server, (use the Advanced search function of this Forum System to find all my previous messages about "pxe").

My PXE Server is used to install Windows and Linux machines from "bare metal" to working machines using the HDD in the client machine. I have not attempted to actually setup "diskless" Windows Workstations. Due to this reality I can not really help too much with this task, as I've never tried it.

Despite this obvious lapse in my PXE education, I decided to do a Google search for "pxe windows diskless iscsi". I found many results returned, but discovered that most either weren't very compatible with using a QNAP NAS for this purpose, or relied on "commercial" (sometimes expensive) software to build the Windows image. When I eliminated these from the returned results, I found I was left with a single result that looks promising for your goal.

I would recommend reviewing:

Windows Diskless over ISCSI
How to booting Windows over ISCSI completely with Free Software!

Skip steps 1-3, as you'll be using your QNAP for the PXE/TFTP Server, but I believe the remaining steps in this article will provide the answers you are looking for. Please post back to this thread with both your successes and failures, and I'll be happy to help further as possible, and other community members might like an opportunity to learn from your experiences.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

exzR88
Starting out

Post by exzR88 »

the problem i found is 07 – Instaling and configuring StarWind iSCSI SAN from "Task 15"... i have just install windows 7 and ccboot on the virtual machine and finish convert vmdk to img.. now, how can i link img to iscsi hd (created by qnap iscsi feature (30gb)) with qnap?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

exzR88 wrote:the problem i found is 07 – Instaling and configuring StarWind iSCSI SAN from "Task 15"... i have just install windows 7 and ccboot on the virtual machine and finish convert vmdk to img.. now, how can i link img to iscsi hd (created by qnap iscsi feature (30gb)) with qnap?
That would be the theory. You won't need the Starwind iSCSI SAN at all, as you'll be serving it up from the TS-219P II on it's iSCSI Service.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

exzR88
Starting out

Post by exzR88 »

i think i dont need Starwind iSCSI SAN (like they say on the top of post "Our Diskless Windows will boot from this iSCSI Server, but you can use any other iSCSI Server, like OpenFiler or FreeNAS, or a Storage Hardware with iSCSI Target support".) and it's ok but my problem is: i don't know the way to add device->hard disk->from img->windows 7.img with Starwind iSCSI SAN software and the same way with qnap iscsi server (i have created hd but i don't understand how upload img to hd created)
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

exzR88 wrote:i think i dont need Starwind iSCSI SAN (like they say on the top of post "Our Diskless Windows will boot from this iSCSI Server, but you can use any other iSCSI Server, like OpenFiler or FreeNAS, or a Storage Hardware with iSCSI Target support".) and it's ok but my problem is: i don't know the way to add device->hard disk->from img->windows 7.img with Starwind iSCSI SAN software and the same way with qnap iscsi server (i have created hd but i don't understand how upload img to hd created)
I'm afraid you are now outside my area of expertize. As I said earlier, I am not a iSCSI user yet. Check out the iSCSI section of the QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual.

I have just picked up an old HP Thin Client, so I will probably work on iSCSI sometime in the new year. So while I still have no answers for you now, this might change next month. At this point I have other projects and the Merry Festivus season to worry about, so I'm afraid this is pretty low priority for me at this time. Bug me in February if you haven't heard back from me by then.

I think it might be kinda fun to setup this pathetic Thin Client box as a multiboot, Windows/Linux/XBMC box while maintaining it as diskless. This will require iSCSI to be workable, so I will probably get to this project yet. This Thin Client seems to be completely silent, so it would make a semi-reasonable HTPC box for XBMC. I'll add Windows and Linux to the mix just to make it interesting. :twisted:

It presently seems to have a 2GB USB stick in it with a Citrix client on it. I simply removed the USB Flash drive from the Boot menu in the BIOS, and it is successfully booting to my PXE server on my QNAP. (I didn't even bother to remove the USB Stick as I was too lazy to open up the case on the HP box to do that).

Patrick.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

ismurdegus
Getting the hang of things

Post by ismurdegus »

Hi
Patrick

Are almost one week that try this new feature and I am stuck in some problems.
Can I ask you to give me some help please?

I used the script that you share for the clonezilla, I adapted to my NAS and was working fine until the login prompt. I can't fine the right login and psw. They are no usually root and toor?

Thanks
TS-119P II + TS-210
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

ismurdegus wrote:Hi
Patrick

Are almost one week that try this new feature and I am stuck in some problems.
Can I ask you to give me some help please?

I used the script that you share for the clonezilla, I adapted to my NAS and was working fine until the login prompt. I can't fine the right login and psw. They are no usually root and toor?

Thanks
I don't recall mine asking for one, check out Clonezilla Live document: A PXE config example for you to boot Clonezilla live via PXE, and ssh service is on, the password of account "user" is assigned.

These instructions require the utility "mkpasswd" command installed on the NAS. You can accomplish this by installing Optware package "whois"

Code: Select all

ipkg update ; ipkg install whois
This installs the following files:

/opt/share/locale/no/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/bin/mkpasswd
/opt/bin/whois
/opt/share/man/man1/mkpasswd.1
/opt/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/share/man/man1/whois.1
/opt/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
/opt/share/locale/eu/LC_MESSAGES/whois.mo
Note the presence of /opt/bin/mkpasswd. With these pieces in place you should be able to get it working. Good luck.

It's been a while so I done remember what all the parameters do, but here is my present Clonezilla menu for PXE:

label Clonezilla Live
      menu label ^Clonezilla Live
      kernel utils/Clonezilla/vmlinuz
      append initrd=utils/Clonezilla/initrd.img splash=enterprise.png boot=live live-config noswap nolocales edd=on nomodeset ocs_live_run="ocs-live-general" ocs_live_extra_param="" ocs_live_keymap="" ocs_live_batch="no" ocs_lang="" vga=788 nosplash fetch=tftp://10.77.13.145/utils/Clonezilla/filesystem.squashfs
Be careful, the "append" line is all one line. It will get "wrapped" by the Forum software

It fetches it's filesystem.squashfs from my NAS (10.77.13.145) via TFTP from /share/Public/utils/Clonezilla/filesystem.squashfs. I defined my TFTP "Root directory" to be: /share/Public/ in the TFTP settings in my QNAP NAS WebUI:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

ismurdegus
Getting the hang of things

Post by ismurdegus »

I have a problem now with Slax 7.0.8

It is just stop ad one point.

This is my menu:
LABEL SLAX
MENU LABEL Slax7
kernel slax7/vmlinuz
append initrd=slax7/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw autoexec=xconf;telinit~4 iocharset=utf8 codepage=932 from=slax7/
MENU end

Any suggestion?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TS-119P II + TS-210
djlevi
Starting out

Post by djlevi »

pwilson wrote:
zcmb87 wrote:Thanks - my log file looks correct (although I haven't given it write access, but that doesn't seem to be an issue from what I've read so far)

I didn't have a .0 file, so that may explain my lack of progress :lol: I'll have a read through those links and see how much further I can get.

Out of interest, why do you always pxe boot at home? I'll be using mine mostly for experimenting, but I can't think of a reason that I'd use it every day (but, seeing as I'm going to get this working, it'd be good to know all my options)

cheers
Security! If my PC's are ever stolen, they will be useless to the thief as they will only PXE boot, as I have password-protected my BIOS Setup Screen, and cut the circuit board trace for the CMOS reset jumper. Without my "BIOS password" (or fingerprint :twisted:) they can't change the boot order.

The other reason is to deal with Microsoft's stupid OS installation procedures that requires several reboots just to install an Operating System :roll: . Their 3-pass OS install system requires this. First pass it hits my PXE server, where it starts the Windows setup and installs the base OS, and continues until Microsoft initiates a reboot, it then hits the PXE server a second time, where it "defaults" to booting the local HDD, and therefore continues with the second Pass in Microsoft's Setup procedures without me needing to be present to press the "any" key. :roll:

None of this is required for Linux OS installations, or for my SIP settings for my multiple SIP adapters for my VoIP telephone lines. As I needed to have it boot the local HDD by default anyway, this is why I decided to make PXE the only boot option on all my PC's. I hope I never experience hardware theft from my home, but if it ever happens, I will at least get to enjoy the frustration it will cause whoever gets my Motherboard when it won't boot, and won't allow them into the BIOS to change the "boot device". :twisted:

To be honest, I end up booting into Ultimate BootCD or Clonezilla far more often than any other option in my PXE server, as I seldom need to re-install Linux in my hardware here, and I no longer run Windows at all on any of my hardware. I leave my Windows installation setup going simply because most of my friends come to my house to install Windows, as it requires no CD/USB at all, as a bare-metal machine will PXE-boot straight to my menu where they can select "Windows Installation" as one of my PXE boot options.

Between my PXE setup and my Windows "autoanswer" settings, the only information required to install Windows here, is the Windows Product Key, as my answers file pre-selects all the other settings, such as keyboard/region/timezone/language/currency symbol/date format etc. I no longer have to answer 300 stupid questions just to install a substandard operating system anymore. (I didn't bother to do this for my Linux images, as they only take 20 minutes anyway).

Anyway, my comments in the message have rambled on at little bit, but I hope this answers your question.
Please Mr. Wilson, could you give me some information about how to get windows installation method as you are telling here? I´ve already set up my pxe server and works fine but windows 7 installation is making me crazy. I could get up and running winpe, but starts recover console and need to make command line setup start, and that is what i dont want.
Thanks.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

djlevi wrote:
pwilson wrote:
zcmb87 wrote:Thanks - my log file looks correct (although I haven't given it write access, but that doesn't seem to be an issue from what I've read so far)

I didn't have a .0 file, so that may explain my lack of progress :lol: I'll have a read through those links and see how much further I can get.

Out of interest, why do you always pxe boot at home? I'll be using mine mostly for experimenting, but I can't think of a reason that I'd use it every day (but, seeing as I'm going to get this working, it'd be good to know all my options)

cheers
Security! If my PC's are ever stolen, they will be useless to the thief as they will only PXE boot, as I have password-protected my BIOS Setup Screen, and cut the circuit board trace for the CMOS reset jumper. Without my "BIOS password" (or fingerprint :twisted:) they can't change the boot order.

The other reason is to deal with Microsoft's stupid OS installation procedures that requires several reboots just to install an Operating System :roll: . Their 3-pass OS install system requires this. First pass it hits my PXE server, where it starts the Windows setup and installs the base OS, and continues until Microsoft initiates a reboot, it then hits the PXE server a second time, where it "defaults" to booting the local HDD, and therefore continues with the second Pass in Microsoft's Setup procedures without me needing to be present to press the "any" key. :roll:

None of this is required for Linux OS installations, or for my SIP settings for my multiple SIP adapters for my VoIP telephone lines. As I needed to have it boot the local HDD by default anyway, this is why I decided to make PXE the only boot option on all my PC's. I hope I never experience hardware theft from my home, but if it ever happens, I will at least get to enjoy the frustration it will cause whoever gets my Motherboard when it won't boot, and won't allow them into the BIOS to change the "boot device". :twisted:

To be honest, I end up booting into Ultimate BootCD or Clonezilla far more often than any other option in my PXE server, as I seldom need to re-install Linux in my hardware here, and I no longer run Windows at all on any of my hardware. I leave my Windows installation setup going simply because most of my friends come to my house to install Windows, as it requires no CD/USB at all, as a bare-metal machine will PXE-boot straight to my menu where they can select "Windows Installation" as one of my PXE boot options.

Between my PXE setup and my Windows "autoanswer" settings, the only information required to install Windows here, is the Windows Product Key, as my answers file pre-selects all the other settings, such as keyboard/region/timezone/language/currency symbol/date format etc. I no longer have to answer 300 stupid questions just to install a substandard operating system anymore. (I didn't bother to do this for my Linux images, as they only take 20 minutes anyway).

Anyway, my comments in the message have rambled on at little bit, but I hope this answers your question.
Please Mr. Wilson, could you give me some information about how to get windows installation method as you are telling here? I´ve already set up my pxe server and works fine but windows 7 installation is making me crazy. I could get up and running winpe, but starts recover console and need to make command line setup start, and that is what i dont want.
Thanks.
Your WinPE 3.x image needs to be smart enough to boot WinPE, and map the Windows 7 ISO contents as a "network share" from your NAS so that you can do a network install of Windows 7 from the WinPE image you created. (Building/Tweaking your WinPE image will be very time consuming, Google it).

I no longer run Windows at all, so I have not worked on my WinPE image in years. Due to Microsoft Licencing, no one can provide you with their working WinPE image for download, so you will need to build your own. Installing any version of Windows via PXE/TFTP is not easy. It is however worth the effort, as you can also use your WinPE image in order to backup/restore Windows "Image" files created with Microsoft's "ImageX" tool. You should be able to use the same WinPE image with all versions of Windows from Vista to 8.1.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Return to “Miscellaneous”