QNAP Finder cannot find my TS-409 Pro

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
davros730
New here

QNAP Finder cannot find my TS-409 Pro

Post by davros730 »

I'm at a loss here - QNAP Finder (both 3.2.2 and 3.0.3), from two different Windows XP machines cannot find my TS-409 Pro NAS.

I can see on my router that it pulled IP address 192.168.200.15 via DHCP.
I can ping it OK.
I can open a browser to OK - but it gives me the "Please initiliaze the device first. Refer to Quick Install Guide." page. I can see that the NAS name is NASACC117, and I know that MAC 00:08:9b:ac:c1:17 got IP address 192.168.200.15 from my router log.
I can even nmap it from a linux box (about 7 or 8 ports open).

When I refresh the finder, the LAN activity light on the NAS blinks for about 5 seconds, then stops. A few seconds later, the Finder says it cannot find the NAS.
I have disabled Windows Firewall, and my 3rd party firewall - I see lots of UDP ports open by Finder.exe.

On the NAS, the HDD lights are solid green, and the system light is flashing green, and the LAN light is lit and blinks when I search for it.
I did put the HDDs in my computer to verify the drives are good and contain no partitions (empty).

Only think I can think of is if since I have everything connected with Gigabit LAN, does the TS409 default to Jumbo frames enabled? I do not use Jumbo frames. Perhaps I should plug it into a 100Mbps switch?

Otherwise I have no ideas - and am really disappointed that the setup of this device is restricted to a flaky little Windows app and most of my network is Linux based. Instead of searching for the device, can I please just tell it to talk to 192.168.200.15. I _KNOW_ that's the address of the TS-409!

QNAP really needs to ditch QNAP Finder. The device already has a default static IP address of 169.254.100.100 and can get one via DHCP, so why isn't the setup all Web based via IP:80 or via SSH???
KL643
Experience counts

Re: QNAP Finder cannot find my TS-409 Pro

Post by KL643 »

davros730 wrote:I'm at a loss here - QNAP Finder (both 3.2.2 and 3.0.3), from two different Windows XP machines cannot find my TS-409 Pro NAS.
Welkom to the club http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=4786
There are more people with the same problem...don't know what's happening. I also can ping to my Qnap,open the web browser and see that i have to configure my Nas...
davros730
New here

Post by davros730 »

Update on my QNAP Finder problem...

I had a friend come over and we ran the MacWizard from his MacBook and that procedure found my NAS within 5 seconds (same scenario above which Windows QNAP Finder failed to find at all). I am now configured and up and running, but QNAP Finder from Windows still fails to see my NAS even after it has been configured.

Obviously, the NAS is fine, the disks are fine (well, except for HDD4), the network settings were fine... please please try to identify what is wrong with the Windows QNAP Finder.exe and release a fixed one.

If you want details about my Windows XP machine to help debug why Finder.exe fails to work correctly on my LAN I will be happy to provide assistance. I suspect some DLL incomapatibility or something Windows Update did to break QNAP Finder (I am completely up to date with Windows Update + SP2).

HDD4 failed to be identified by the NAS, however, I put this drive in my main computer and the SATA controller reports "Hardware initialization failure". It also makes a nasty clicking noise, so I suspect I got one lemon HDD out of the 4. Apart from that, NAS looks good so far. Just please fix QNAP Finder. It was a royal PITA to have to work around that program and find someone with a MAC to get this Linux based NAS up and running. (How many OSes does it take to setup a NAS device? =)
KL643
Experience counts

Post by KL643 »

good to hear that your NAS isn't broken! So there is hope for my 109-Pro :)
netbasket
New here

Post by netbasket »

So what is happening with QNAP finder and our PCs?

No failures or events, but I can no longer log into my 409. No browser, Firefox or IE, or either version of the Qnap Finder finds my 409 or log on. Luckily, my daughter's machine can still get to the admin page and things appear normal. Why is the server not accessible from just my machine? Both are running the same setup's: Microsoft XP, McAfee, Firefox 3.0.3., etc.

Please advise what I should be looking for on my pc. Thanks.
stevebow
Been there, done that

Post by stevebow »

You clearly have a networking problem somewhere if your daughter's PC works fine.

Can you at least ping the NAS from your PC?
NAS: TS-509 Pro
Firmware: 4.1.1 Build1101
Drives: 5 x Western Digital WD20EFRX (Red) 2TB drives (RAID5)

NAS: TS-409 Pro
Firmware: 3.3.2 build 0918T
Drives: 4 x Western Digital WD20EFRX (Red) 2TB drives (RAID0)
Note: TS-409 Disk Management GUI mostly non-functional with WD Red HDDs
netbasket
New here

Post by netbasket »

Stevebow,

Yes, I clearly have a networking problem, but what kind of problem? Yes I can ping the 409 from my computer, but no browser will bring up the admin page. So what application or setting could be causing that scenario in any browser (IE, Firefox, and Chrome)?

For Qnap Finder, I have checked the firewall settings which is granting access for Qnap Finder. Nothing appears in McAfee.

The only recent change that I may not have applied to my daughter's machine is XP SP3. Anyone know of issues with that service pack?

Update: It must be tied to something in XP SP3 as another machine on my network can not access the admin page after installing the service pack.
KL643
Experience counts

Post by KL643 »

I'm running XP SP3 on my Laptop and i can access my NAS although i noticed that it is going less faster than without SP3 (Explorer also gives less problems than Firefox at the moment)

Edit: Did you clear the cache of your browsers? And also try to navigate by entering the ip manually in your browser...i noticed that when i used the history/tabs, i couldn't access the admin page. And is your Windows firewall enabled?
netbasket
New here

Re: QNAP Finder cannot find my TS-409 Pro - Resolved

Post by netbasket »

I figured it out. I didn't remember ever selecting which IP's could access my QNAP 409, but my router had assigned a new IP which was out of the range of accepted IP addresses. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”