NTP connection

Questions about using Windows AD service.
Hector
Starting out

NTP connection

Post by Hector »

Hi all,

I have a 539 (2.1.4 build 0317T) and a 639(2.1.4 build 0317T) both Pro versions, that are members of my Win2k3 AD.
My problem is that both Qnaps can´t get time the time from the local AD NTP server (sets time for 150 clients every morning via a login script).
All I get is a failure. I have tried using the local name hostname and IP. I have tried to use .pool.ntp.org but I can´t the Qnap´s to connect.
The log on the Qnap´s show this entry "Failed to synchronize the time from NTP server"

What to do ? :?:
bru
Starting out

Re: NTP connection

Post by bru »

I am setting up the same thing right now and I get a failure when I try several NTP servers in the web.
Hector
Starting out

Post by Hector »

I tried the Qnap support on Messenger, and still no solution. Other then "I don´t know what to do".

Is this error reported and is somebody looking into this matter :?: This must be some sort of firmware issue.
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Hmm, very weird. I have a pfSense firewall here working as NTP source (and it's getting time from the Internet). I don't have any problems in getting NTP time from it. It fails one request every 3-4 weeks, but that could be the firewall's problem as well.
The only difference is that I'm using a quite old firmware on the 639 (2.1.0 Build 0102T) due to php-gd faults in the newer firmwares.
Are you using IP or domain names when resolving? I'm using IP.
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
Hector
Starting out

Post by Hector »

fribse wrote:Hmm, very weird. I have a pfSense firewall here working as NTP source (and it's getting time from the Internet). I don't have any problems in getting NTP time from it.
Are you using IP or domain names when resolving? I'm using IP.
Howdy,

We use a PIX firewall, and that might have blocked for the NTP request to the internet. But on the inside, I have tried IP and hostname. Same error :cry:
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Have you verified that your subnet, gateway, and dns entries on the QNAPs are correct?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Hector
Starting out

Post by Hector »

Don wrote:Have you verified that your subnet, gateway, and dns entries on the QNAPs are correct?
Yes, the box is running smoothly. Except for this NTP issue. The box is a member of the AD and is used mainly as a fileshare box. All other services are disablet.

Also one of the AD servers is setting the time for the 150 clients in the AD. But the Qnap won´t get the time from this server :(
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Have you tried syncing time with another server say pool.ntp.org to see if it is a NAS issue? Is it possible your time server is rejecting the NAS requests?

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
Hector
Starting out

Post by Hector »

Don wrote:Have you tried syncing time with another server say pool.ntp.org to see if it is a NAS issue? Is it possible your time server is rejecting the NAS requests?
Yes, I tried 2 diffrent servers is my AD and I have also tried pool.ntp.org (as mentioned in my first post) And both my Qnap boxes wont set the time. I have a 5 and 6 disk version. Both of them have this issue. Wont set the time from either my internal servers (real windows boxes) or pool.ntp.org.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

From the NAS device can you ping pool.ntp.org and your AD time servers and AD DNS servers? To me it sounds like something on the NAS network config is not correct.

Hector
Starting out

Post by Hector »

Don wrote:From the NAS device can you ping pool.ntp.org and your AD time servers and AD DNS servers? To me it sounds like something on the NAS network config is not correct.
Well using putty and from one of the devices pings pool.ntp.org gives me an answer from 83.221.139.150 pingtime between 1,7-3,2 MS. Both my internal servers gives me a answer within 0,1-0,2 MS. And still no matter witch server I want to use as NTP server. The sync failes. I *realy* don´t get why. My internal NTP servers are the same as my internal DNS servers.
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

It all sounds very strange. You are allowing UDP port 123 to connect to your ntp servers, right?
I have no problems here, ever, very odd indeed.
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
Hector
Starting out

Post by Hector »

fribse wrote:It all sounds very strange. You are allowing UDP port 123 to connect to your ntp servers, right?
I have no problems here, ever, very odd indeed.
One of them is a win2k server. And no firewall installed. The Qnap and this server is connected to the same switch. The other internal server is a win2k3 also in the same switch. But I am "glad" that I aint alone on not understading why :wink: But thanks for your help.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I agree with fribse, very strange. It works here all the time also. I would open a ticket with QNAP support and let them remote into your NAS to see if they can find the problem.

FliP
New here

Post by FliP »

Hi,

I've just bought a TS-639 and have almost the same problem: in the web interface, synching with different NTP servers gives me a failure. When I try 'ntpdate' from a console, the machine gives me 'no server suitable for synchronization found'. If I try 'ntpdate -d .....' it finds the server, connects and calculates the difference in time. So definitely something weird!

I have a TS-639 with FW 2.1.6 Build 0428T

FliP

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”