TS-509 pro link aggregation problem (STILL not fixed!!!)

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
jello_moto
Know my way around

TS-509 pro link aggregation problem (STILL not fixed!!!)

Post by jello_moto »

UPDATE:I AM NOT REALLY SURE WHAT QNAP IS DOING ABOUT REAL LACP SUPPORT. THE UNIT WILL *NOT* BOND TWO GIGABIT CONNECTIONS....

The phrase "Bandwidth aggregation is supported to boost the file transfer speed" on the TS-509 pro page is bogus.
The TS-509 pro when set to "load balancing" on a managed Ethernet switch with 802.3ad configured, does not aggregate the bandwidth of the two ports.

I have tested this on an HP procurve 1800-24 switch and the TS-509 pro will use one port as a "master" for all the traffic and the secondary port as a "slave" with failover.

Can somebody from QNAP respond to this, or when this issue will be addressed? Thanks.

Config:
Windows 2008 server using intel pro 1000/pt dual port NIC teamed to 2 gigabit. Connected to RAID5 iSCSI disk on the TS-509 pro through an HP procurve 1800-24 switch with 802.3ad configured.
Last edited by jello_moto on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Don
Guru

Re: The TS-509 pro does NOT really do link aggregation

Post by Don »

Do you have statistics/counters from the Procurve to support this? Supplying some proof to back this up will help prove what you are saying. I'm not saying you are incorrect but you have provided no proof to back up what you are saying. It could be a problem on the server, the switch, or the QNAP
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hello,
Have you tried using the dynamic configuration (instead of static link aggregation) on your HP Procurve 1800 switch? This can be done via your switch's web-based management.

HP Procurve Quick User guide:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/softwar ... 914724.pdf

Jason
jello_moto
Know my way around

Post by jello_moto »

Don wrote:Do you have statistics/counters from the Procurve to support this? Supplying some proof to back this up will help prove what you are saying. I'm not saying you are incorrect but you have provided no proof to back up what you are saying. It could be a problem on the server, the switch, or the QNAP
Don, I can post a screenshot of the statistics page on the router if you'd like, but the screenshot will not show that the packet count is not moving on one of the ports and blazing on the other port. So, to answer your question, I have copied a massive file from the qnap and to the qnap and monitored the ports while doing so. One port handles all the traffic while the other one sits idle.
jello_moto
Know my way around

Post by jello_moto »

QNAPJason wrote:Hello,
Have you tried using the dynamic configuration (instead of static link aggregation) on your HP Procurve 1800 switch? This can be done via your switch's web-based management.

HP Procurve Quick User guide:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/softwar ... 914724.pdf

Jason
Jason, as I posted in my initial message the switch is configured for dynamic link aggregation. The switch shows the two ports that the QNAP is plugged into as being dynamically linked.
QNAPJames
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJames »

hi there,

do you mind showing us the screenshots of your switch settgings? especially the dynamic(LACP)/static configuration part. Appreciate that : )

or you can PM it to me if you dunt feel like to post it here.

James
NAS: QNAP TS-464T4 Special Edition + Seagate IronWolf 125 3.84TB SATA SSD * 4 (RAID5)
Backup: QNAP TR-002 + Seagate IronWolf 10TB SATA HDD *2 (RAID0)
Networking: QNAP QSW-1108-8T 2.5GbE Network Switch
jello_moto
Know my way around

Post by jello_moto »

QNAPJames wrote:hi there,

do you mind showing us the screenshots of your switch settgings? especially the dynamic(LACP)/static configuration part. Appreciate that : )

or you can PM it to me if you dunt feel like to post it here.

James
lacp_status.jpg
lacp_setting.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jello_moto
Know my way around

Post by jello_moto »

FYI I am ONLY running iSCSI and not anything else. If you try and reproduce the problem, please do so with an iSCSI disk and not SMB. Thanks!
QNAPAlfred
Getting the hang of things

Post by QNAPAlfred »

Dear jello_moto :

We have confirmed your problem.According to your description,I believe it is a normal behavior in your operation environment.

There are two hash policies to support 802.3AD,these are layer2 policy(default) and layer3+4policy.we use default policy to implement it. The default policy value is to use( source MAC XOR destination MAC) modulo slave count. This algorithm will place all traffic to particular network peer on the same slave. For this reason,your transmission will just go by one line unless another link join.

We will release all the different load balance modes(balance-alb,balance-broadcast.......)
on the following version,it might be able to fit your requirment.

regards
QNAPAlfred
jello_moto
Know my way around

Post by jello_moto »

Alfred, are you saying this will be fixed in the next firmware release? Thanks.
jello_moto
Know my way around

Post by jello_moto »

For those not understanding Alfreds explanation, I have two teamed NIC's talking to an iSCSI disk on the QNAP. Since the QNAP see's the teamed NIC's as the same MAC address it only uses one port for traffic due to the type of aggregation they are using. If another MAC address connects to the QNAP it would open up the second port for traffic. (I haven't tested this).

Hopefully if this is fixed in the next firmware release I'll have a nice blazing 2 gigabit (ish) iSCSI disk!!! :)
rudku
Starting out

Post by rudku »

I aksed if working link aggregation correct in this thread:

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=13047

but nobody answer me :-(
jello_moto
Know my way around

Post by jello_moto »

rudku wrote:I aksed if working link aggregation correct in this thread:

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=13047

but nobody answer me :-(
Well at least they are addressing it.... :)
QNAPAlfred

Post by QNAPAlfred »

Dear rudku:

You were useing web file manager to transmit a big file via NFS?
I don't really understand your test topology, could I get more detail about it.

Regards
QNAPAlfred
QNAPAlfred

Post by QNAPAlfred »

Dear jello_moto:

In the following version if you want to use load balance ,we will provide seven modes for you as below:

Balance-rr (Round-Robin) Transmit packets in sequential order from the first available slave through the last. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.

Active Backup Only one slave in the bond is active. A different slave becomes active if, and only if, the active slave fails. The bond’s MAC address is externally visible on only one port (network adapter) to avoid confusing the switch. This mode provides fault tolerance.

Balance XOR Transmit based on the selected transmit hash policy. The default policy is a simple [(source MAC address XOR’d with destination MAC address) modulo slave count]. Alternate transmit policies maybe selected via the xmit_hash_policy option. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.

Broadcast Transmits everything on all slave interfaces. This mode provides fault tolerance. This mode provides fault tolerance.

IEEE 802.3ad Creates aggregation groups that share the same speed and duplex settings. Utilizes all slaves in the active aggregator according to the 802.3ad specification. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance but requires a switch that supports IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic Link Aggregation with correct LACP mode configured.

Balance-tlb (Adaptive Transmit Load Balancing) Channel bonding that does not require any special switch support. The outgoing traffic is distributed according to the current load (computed relative to the speed) on each slave. Incoming traffic is received by the current slave. If the receiving slave fails, another slave takes over the MAC address of the failed receiving slave. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.

Balance-alb (Adaptive Load Balancing) Include balance-tlb plus receive load balancing (rlb) for IPV4 traffic, and does not require any special switch support. The receive load balancing is achieved by ARP negotiation. The receive load balancing is achieved by ARP Replies sent by the local system on their way out and overwrites the source hardware address with the unique hardware address of one of the slaves in the bond such that different peers use different hardware address for the server. This mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance

Regards
QNAPAlfred

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”