TS-509 pro link aggregation problem (STILL not fixed!!!)

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
jello_moto
Know my way around

Re: The TS-509 pro does NOT really do link aggregation

Post by jello_moto »

Thanks Alfred. I am looking to get as close as possible to the two gigabit maximum theoretical speed of the interface.
rudku
Starting out

Post by rudku »

QNAPAlfred wrote:Dear rudku:

You were useing web file manager to transmit a big file via NFS?
I don't really understand your test topology, could I get more detail about it.

Regards
QNAPAlfred
My tests are based on real file transfer speeds betwen two high end NAS form QNAP.
I tested, what effect has a LACP during real file transfer of big file (movie with 33,5 GB size).
I tested file transfer only between QNAP NAS models TS-509 or TS 809U-RP
File transfer protocols: nfs and ftp (copy only via web file manager or download manager diretly on NAS)
Gigabit switches on which I tested (all with IEEE 802.3ad support, I verified the LACP configuration on both sides switch-NAS)
- Netgear GS108T
- HP ProCurve 1800-24G
- HP ProCurve 1800-8G

Here are latest results:

QNAP TS809U-RP -> QNAP TS509 53,07 MB/s (nfs/LACP) 52,67 MB/s (nsf/no LACP) 70,66 MB/s (ftp/LACP) 72,29 MB/s (ftp/no LACP)
QNAP TS509 -> QNAP TS809U-RP 58,00 MB/s (nfs/LACP) 67,59 MB/s (nsf/no LACP) 69,79 MB/s (ftp/LACP) 70,37 MB/s (ftp/no LACP)

My conclusion:
The LACP don´t increase file transfer speeds.
These speeds are limited other componets (CPU, Memory, Controller, HDD).

My questions:
Working the LACP correct? (latest tests was done with firmware 2.1.5 on all NAS)
If the LACP working - in which situation can this feature increase file transfer speeds?

... maybe my thinking about LACP is wrong and this feature has another function ...
AndyChuo
Experience counts

Post by AndyChuo »

Hi rudku,

By testing with only one connection you wouldn't tell the difference when under the 802.3ad mode, instead you should test the speed with multiple connections to the NAS and the total sum of the transfer rates should be exceeding the limit of using single interface to transfer. Let us know the results then.

Andy
=============================================================>>>
TS-659-Pro [RAID6] rtorrent+SABnzbdplus+SickBeard+Couchpotato [Best PVR] Plex+PMS [Ultimate Streamer]
Apple iPad [Best Tablet] HTC One M8 [Mobile Phone] Samsung UA46ES6100 [My Screen] KRK Rokit 6 [Audio Speakers]
Chrome Cast [Screen Casting] Philips Hue [Personal Lighing]
Buffalo WZR-1750DHP [My Wifi Hub] D-Link DGS-1005D [Gbit Network]
=============================================================>>>
jello_moto
Know my way around

Post by jello_moto »

Rudku, wait until they release the next version which covers the different aggregation scenario's and then lets visit this again.....
rudku
Starting out

Post by rudku »

thanks for answers

but according tests on server SmallNetBuilder Link aggregation don´t work correct...

Link Aggregation
NETGEAR has been kind enough to loan me a GS108T ProSafe 8 Port Gigabit Smart Switch so that I can test link aggregation in high-performance dual-ported NASes that support it. Since the 809 fits that description, I ran a quick test.

I first set the 809's Ethernet ports to "load balance" mode, which is supposed to support 802.3ad link aggregation. I then added the two GS108T ports connected to the 809's ports to a Link Aggregation group, then enabled LAG in the GS108T.

I then ran Vista Filecopy write and read tests using the NAS Testbed and another Core 2 Duo system running Vista SP1, but only a single drive (not a dual-drive RAID 0 array as on the NAS test bed machine.)

I first ran the test on each system individually, then with both systems running simultaneously. If aggregation is working properly and if the NAS under test is being limited by the capacity of a single Gigabit Ethernet connection, enabling link aggregation should allow higher net throughput. The test results are summarized in Table 4.

NAS Test Bed / System 2 / Total Aggregate
File Copy Write 92.4 / 57.4 / 149.8
File Copy Read 86.7 / 55.8 / 142.5
Simult. File Copy Write 56.3 / 41 / 97.3
Simult. File Copy Read 30 / 32 / 62

The results show no improvement from using link aggregation. The total write capacity of the two computers is just shy of 150 MB/s. But when both systems wrote to the 809 with aggregation enabled, throughput dropped for both systems and totaled only 97 MB/s. This is only 5 MB/s higher than the highest individual system write, which is within the margin of error of the test method.

Read was a similar story, with only 67 MB/s of total throughput out of a possible 97 MB/s achieved with both systems running simultaneously. This is again, only a slight (6 MB/s) gain over the highest individual system read speed.

I'll await feedback from QNAP and rerun the test if they have suggestions on my methodology. But, for now, it doesn't look like link aggregation will buy you very much performance improvement with the 809.

Detailed here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/ ... 31/75/1/2/

... so, I wait for same next firmware, where QNAP fixed this functionality, and then I retest it with minimal 2 connections and then I sum the total transfer speeds...
jello_moto
Know my way around

Re: TS-509 pro link aggregation problem (getting fixed)

Post by jello_moto »

Updated 1st post.
wbochar
New here

Post by wbochar »

I've been working on this one too, for a long time. Even with 10 machines hitting the 509 its not reacting the way it should.
jello_moto
Know my way around

Post by jello_moto »

Well, we are all waiting for Firmware 3, which should usher in a new level of performance.
Papasha
Starting out

Post by Papasha »

I hope (!!!) this all changes will come to TS-439 Proo too.... I have same problem... :(
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

It's available in the latest 3.1.0 build for the 509/439/639....series.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
jello_moto
Know my way around

Post by jello_moto »

Don wrote:It's available in the latest 3.1.0 build for the 509/439/639....series.
Oh no, Don I am not a fan of putting "beta" on my treasure chest..... :)
QNAPJames
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJames »

NAS: QNAP TS-464T4 Special Edition + Seagate IronWolf 125 3.84TB SATA SSD * 4 (RAID5)
Backup: QNAP TR-002 + Seagate IronWolf 10TB SATA HDD *2 (RAID0)
Networking: QNAP QSW-1108-8T 2.5GbE Network Switch
jello_moto
Know my way around

Post by jello_moto »

QNAPJames wrote:Then how about this

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=15705
OK. You talked me into it.... :)
jello_moto
Know my way around

Post by jello_moto »

Ok guys, bad news. I have the 509 set up to specifically use 802.3ad for port trunking and I still see it using one port for all the traffic.... :(
Papasha
Starting out

Post by Papasha »

Same thing with TS-439 Pro- one port utilized only. Another interesting thing: If I'm playing webradio on my computer thru WMP and trying to copy file from/ to TS-439 my max speed not more then 7-8MBt/sec. Without playing- 60-80MBt/sec. And this with old and new firmware. May be I missed something in networking...???? :(

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”