I want to play .MKV !!!

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
arifdipo
Starting out

I want to play .MKV !!!

Post by arifdipo »

Synology has these:

* Video Format: 3GP, 3G2, ASF, AVI, DAT, DivX, DVR-MS, ISO, M2T, M2TS, M4V, MKV, MP4, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, MTS, MOV, QT, SWF, TP, TRP, TS, VOB, WMV, XviD

I hope my TS-119 can play .mkv, so I do not have to remux it into m2ts...
I have a lot of HD video (.mkv)...

I know it's not a big deal for QNAP...

:D :D
ApacheSwiss
Know my way around

Re: I want to play .MKV !!!

Post by ApacheSwiss »

hello...

If you are talking about the DLNA server...

Yes it can play MKV files....
SETUP:
- QNAP TS-119 Version 4.1 RC
Q
Experience counts

Post by Q »

hi

it always depends on your player (client) what it can handle, the NAS/DLNA server is just there to serve it (no matter which product you choose) and of course the TS/twonky support mkv too.

so you should get a player that supports mkv, the new NMP-1000 by qnap maybe ;)

just by the way:
new twonky 5.1 which should show up in the next TS firmware will support on-the-fly (while playing) and background transcoding. however qnap still needs to put some work in it afaik, i don't know if it will be possible on all models. anyway... with v5.1 the TS can convert the format to a compatible one for the player. but transcoding always needs a lot of cpu power, so you should probably get a intel based model (like TS-x39) to get good results. and i don't know if it's possible to have on-the-fly 1080p HD video transcoding with it... maybe not, because what i saw so far for PCs that usually requires a even more powerful dual core CPU. however background transcoding would be very useful in this case, the NAS will transcode new files in idle time and it could be ready the next day.

anyway, i guess it's easier and cheaper to just get a player that supports mkv ^^
I am Q
www.qnap.ch

I don't work at QNAP.
And RAID is really NO backup!
petur

Post by petur »

I very much doubt that even an atom 1.6GHz is capable of transcoding video on the fly. If your setup can't handle the formats, transcode them on a PC and store the transcoded file. You can keep the original as backup, of course.
Chances are, transcoding on your PC will give better quality, because doing it on-the-fly is optimized for speed, not quality.
Praat je liever over QNAP in het Nederlands?
Liever een community bij jou in de buurt?

Kom naar QNAPclub België/Nederland
xavierh
Experience counts

Post by xavierh »

an interim solutoon, if your playbakc device is a ps3 is to use ps3 media server. thats what I use and so far it works perfect for me.

QNAP TVS-951xQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 OS Storage Pool: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD x 4 (RAID 5), Data Storage Pool: WD WD30EFRX (Red) 3TB x 4 (RAID 5), 16GB RAM WD Easystore 10TB External USB 3.0 Services: SMB, Appletalk, QPKG: Container Station, HBS 3
QNAP TS-453AQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 Services: SMB, HBS 3
Network: UDM, UDM Beacon, Unifi 8 Port Switch x 3, Flex Mini Switch, In Wall AP
spoon.uk
Been there, done that

Post by spoon.uk »

I have to second this one. PS3 Media Server works just perfectly, got it running on my 1.86Ghz Mac Mini. Can play/transcode 1080p material without any issues and some of them are like 12GB each! 5.1 sound included.

Brilliant peace of software.
PowerMAC
Been there, done that

Post by PowerMAC »

spoon.uk wrote:I have to second this one. PS3 Media Server works just perfectly, got it running on my 1.86Ghz Mac Mini. Can play/transcode 1080p material without any issues and some of them are like 12GB each! 5.1 sound included.

Brilliant peace of software.
When watching an .MKV movie with PS3 Media server;

1. is rewinding and fast forwarding also no problem (can the PS3 Media server keep up)?
2. are the subtitles/sound still in sync with each other after fast forwarding/rewinding?
3. does PS3 Media server also support and play FLAC music files?
4. is there a PS3 Media server install guide for a QNAP TS-509?
“Count the black dots, recount to confirm…” http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/lum_scGrid/index.html
spoon.uk
Been there, done that

Post by spoon.uk »

1. On my C2D 1.86Ghz I can do only 1.5x, its not media server that can't keep up - its the network + CPU that struggle with crazy high bitrate on 1080p mkv's
2. No problem here however look above.
3. Yes
4. tbh Celeron 1.6Ghz won't cope with 720p videos, so no point going for 1080 at all.

Streaming/transcoding is all about CPU/Network throughput, nothing else. 100Mbps barely can cope with 1080 (or in some cases stutters) bitrate.

I suggest get a copy of PS3 Media Server, install and have a go on your machine... Good fun but you need to have enough horsepower in your rig.
arifdipo
Starting out

Post by arifdipo »

ooo.. it's all about my player :(
i'm using PS3...
so I have to buy a new player that support .mkv
any suggestion?
xavierh wrote:an interim solutoon, if your playbakc device is a ps3 is to use ps3 media server. thats what I use and so far it works perfect for me.
where did u install ps3media server? on ur QNAP or PC??? I can install it on PC and it works, but how about on my TS-119??? any documentation? thank you very much..
xavierh
Experience counts

Post by xavierh »

Here are some answers to some questions:

PS3 media server is free
ps3 media server needs to be installed on a PC (not a NAS)
I use it only for streaming hidef content from the NAS to the ps3.
I do not do much fast forward or rewind so I have not tested that
I do not have any flac files so i hae not tested that either. I mainly use it for videos

QNAP TVS-951xQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 OS Storage Pool: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD x 4 (RAID 5), Data Storage Pool: WD WD30EFRX (Red) 3TB x 4 (RAID 5), 16GB RAM WD Easystore 10TB External USB 3.0 Services: SMB, Appletalk, QPKG: Container Station, HBS 3
QNAP TS-453AQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 Services: SMB, HBS 3
Network: UDM, UDM Beacon, Unifi 8 Port Switch x 3, Flex Mini Switch, In Wall AP
Q
Experience counts

Post by Q »

@arifdipo:
you may also read my post here about some detail explanation: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 718#p85111. starting from "note that the ps3 ..." to the end.

one option i mentioned there would be to convert your mkv files first on the pc with the mkv2vob tool.

maybe twonky 5.1 will also support the remuxing (change mkv to vob container) for ps3 client, but i have no clue about that... probably even a TS-109 would have enough power to do that as long as the video codec inside is already H.264 (so it doesn't need to get converted; details about that in the other post).
I am Q
www.qnap.ch

I don't work at QNAP.
And RAID is really NO backup!
PowerMAC
Been there, done that

Post by PowerMAC »

Thx for the info, I guess I'm not gonna use the PS3 Media server then. I don't want to install anything on my PC just to watch .MKV movies, to me that defeats the whole purpose of buying a NAS in the 1st place; to be able to finally TURN OFF my PC.

Offcourse the best solution would be that Sony just releases a firmware update with Matroska and FLAC support but I doubt that will ever happen, even though the PS3 could very easily handle it. D4mn Sony. :evil:

So for the time being I'll just keep converting .MKV files with the wonderful free utility MKV2VOB and use Twonky for all my streaming needs and HOPEFULLY Twonky 5, when finally released for QNAP, will have more and better support for multimedia files.
“Count the black dots, recount to confirm…” http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/lum_scGrid/index.html
spoon.uk
Been there, done that

Post by spoon.uk »

Well don't forget that DivX is able to play *.mkv files and PS3 plays DivX content just fine.

We are not as far as you might think we are...

See http://labs.divx.com/node/7405
PowerMAC
Been there, done that

Post by PowerMAC »

spoon.uk wrote:Well don't forget that DivX is able to play *.mkv files and PS3 plays DivX content just fine.

We are not as far as you might think we are...

See http://labs.divx.com/node/7405

Dude, what do you mean, what are you saying? To whom are you replying? Very confusing :roll:

"We are not as far as you might think we are..." Huh ??? And what important and exciting info should I pick up from that URL ???
spoon.uk
Been there, done that

Post by spoon.uk »

If I was replying to someone not above me it would've been quoted right? lol

So my reply kinda points at you...

Dude the point I'm trying to make is that DivX 7 plays mkv files and PS3 atm plays DivX. Can you put 1 + 1 together?

rotfl

And I thought I'd a rough night...

Return to “Features Wanted”