Access to NAS shares broken in Windows 10

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
lentzit
Been there, done that

Access to NAS shares broken in Windows 10

Post by lentzit »

Problem
Since my upgrade to Windows 10 i cannot access my NAS via UNC ie. \\nas-unit or IP \\192.168.100.x
smb-version-error.png
Information
I have checked which SMB version is active om Windows 10, by default SMB Version 1 and 2 are enabled so it should work.

Fix!
The NAS is set to SMB2 by default which does not seem to work.
After setting the SMB version to 1 one the NAS unit i was able to access the NAS via UNC again.
smb-version-choice-nas.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-TVS-663/16GB QTS 4.2 , RAID5
-QGenie QG-103N - Wireless Storage in Classroom Environment
-Services: WEB | Virtual Station | QSYNC | FTP | SSL | Private Cloud | Photo Station
-Using it for my blog (http://blog.lentzit.com)
schumaku
Guru

Re: Access to NAS shares broken in Windows 10

Post by schumaku »

Consider SMB 3.0 (all QNAP NAS with SAMBA 4) resp. SMB 2.1 (all legacy QNAP NAS models with SAMBA 3.6.x). Might happen the Windows 10 SMB client does miss some of the features added.
jcq
First post

Post by jcq »

Same thing happened after my upgrade to Windows 10. Forcing SMB 1.0 on NAS fixed it.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

lentzit wrote:The NAS is set to SMB2 by default which does not seem to work.
Was it configured to SMB 2.0 before?
jcq wrote:Same thing happened after my upgrade to Windows 10. Forcing SMB 1.0 on NAS fixed it.
What was the precious setting causing an issue?
helelena
New here

Post by helelena »

Hi

I have the exact same problem. (sorry for hi-jacking you thread btw, I was not sure if this should go in a new thread of its own)

I use my QNAP 219 in the simplest possible way: one singe Public folder shared with "everyone" in the "workgroup" (We don't have a homegroup, I use a workgroup instead since we have some old pre-homegroup computers in the network). No internet-stuff, no AD, no QNAP tools or services, no individual user accounts, no nothing, just a mapped network drive to a shared folder.

It worked for years.

Now when I updated to windows 10, a couple of weeks ago, the mapped network drive doesn't connect to the QNAP folder anymore.

When I look in the Network-view of Windows File explorer on my laptop, I see the QNAP-computer as a "media device" and under the headline "storage" but when I click those two instances all I get is the webinterface of the Qnap admin tool, not the contents.

When I look in "This PC" view in the Windows File explorer, the QNAP is listed as a "network location" but the only folders visible when opening it, is "Music", "Photo" and "Video" which I assume is some kind of media serivce from QNAP that I don't use.

This at least tells me that the QNAP is working and that the hardware for the connection is still ok, like no broken network cable/network card or such things.

I have updated the firmware of the QNAP and upgraded the laptop to the most recent version offered.

I see your solution mentioned above about the SMB verison, but the problem is that I don't get any option like that in my QNAP admin tool for Networks Services = Windows Networking"

Any hint, or pointers to how to setup my system so it starts working again would be much appreciated.

Maybe I'm using too oldfashioned techiques and should start using some more feature(s) of the QNAP, but then I need some guide to how to do it. I'm not a network/security-person at all.

Thanks in advance

/Helena
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

helelena wrote:I see your solution mentioned above about the SMB verison, but the problem is that I don't get any option like that in my QNAP admin tool for Networks Services = Windows Networking"
Login to your NAS shell using PuTTY (on Windows) and check

Code: Select all

smbstatus
Guess it's set to 1.0 as in the example, so enable SMB 2.1 ...

Code: Select all

smb21enable
...however, I don't this does solve issues - which are not on the NAS side typically:
login as: admin
admin@ts-212's password:

[~] # smb2status

smbd (samba daemon) Version 3.6.25
smbd (samba daemon) is running.
max protocol SMB 1.0 enabled.
[~] # smb21enable
Shutting down SMB services: smbd nmbd.
Shutting down winbindd services: winbindd.
max protocol SMB 2.1 ... enabled.
locks path was set to /share/HDA_DATA/.locks
Shutting down winbindd services: winbindd.
Starting winbindd services:Starting SMB services:.

smbd (samba daemon) Version 3.6.25
smbd (samba daemon) is running.
max protocol SMB 2.1 enabled.
Check if the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support feature is installed and enabled - not that oyu need CIFS (SMB 1.0) wiht the change above - but we still need the NetBIOS discovery. Control Panel - Programs and Features - Turn Windows features on or off :
WIndows 10 - SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support.PNG

Check ... Control Panel - Network and Sharing Center ... your active networks. Is it set to private?
Windows 10 - Private Network.PNG
If not ... look here -> https://tinkertry.com/how-to-change-win ... to-private

Problem does still exist? Go to Control Panel - Advanced Sharing Setting...
Windows 10 - Advanced Sharing Settings.PNG
...Turn in network discovery, Turn in automatic set-up of network-connected devices, turn on file and printer sharing.

With this, the Client for Microsoft Networks should be in place on all your network interface(s) - WLAN, Ethernet - used by your computer connecting to the network.
Windows 10 - Client for Microsoft Networks.PNG
Problem does still exist? Get rid of any "Internet Security" garbage software 8-)

Happy Sunday!

Regards,
-Kurt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
helelena
New here

Post by helelena »

Yes, It works again!!!

Thank you SO much Kurt.
I got it working after I turned on the "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support feature"- step

How I was supposed to figure this out by myself I don't know, but your instructions was clear and easy to follow. I think QNAP as a company should go out and offer this information. I can't be the only one getting stuck lite this.
Anyways...

Again; Many, many thanks!

/Helena
xinel
Starting out

Post by xinel »

Changing to smb1 worked for me as well foe windows 10, thank you I have been tearing my hair out trying to work out the fix.

I don't have the option for smb 3 on my qnap 869 pro build 4.1.4
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

xinel wrote:Changing to smb1 worked for me as well foe windows 10, thank you I have been tearing my hair out trying to work out the fix.

SMB 2.1 does work with Windows 10 here on similar TS-x69 NAS models, too. Curious - was the protocol set to SMB 2.0 probably?
xinel wrote:I don't have the option for smb 3 on my qnap 869 pro build 4.1.4
QTS 4.2 will bring SAMBA 4 and offers SMB 3 protocol on your model line, too. However, I don't know if QNAP does still retain the "older" SAMBA along with an update with QTS 4.1.4.

Check the SAMBA version in place:

[~] # ps -ef | grep mbd
3733 admin 1780 S /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd -l /var/log -D -s /etc/con
6743 admin 2940 S /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd -l /var/log -D -s /etc/con
6760 admin 1980 S /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd -l /var/log -D -s /etc/con
14896 admin 536 S grep mbd
[~] # /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd -V
Version 4.0.25

If your NAS does still show some v3.6.x -> https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Kn ... rom-3-to-4

This could explain the absence of the SMB 3.0 selection option.
betruk
Starting out

Post by betruk »

jcq wrote:Same thing happened after my upgrade to Windows 10. Forcing SMB 1.0 on NAS fixed it.
This fixed my issue with access to NAS after my upgrade from Windows 8.1 to windows 10. Thank you for sharing.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

betruk wrote:
This fixed my issue with access to NAS after my upgrade from Windows 8.1 to windows 10. Thank you for sharing.

Can anybody explain me why users go for the worst possible protocol? For now, we just need the SMB/CIFS 1.0 client installed on Windows 10 (which might not be in place on a scratch installation) to make the NAS visible as a server (in absence of the WSD WS-Discovery agent on the NAS). Then, we can run SAMB 3.0 resp. SMB 2.1 protocol - whatever the highest version available yon your NAS is - and this includes Windows 10.
coolguns
Starting out

Post by coolguns »

Hi I'm having the same problem. I have a TS420 running 4.1.4.
I've got SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support feature" turned on.
I was able to connect fine with windows 10 up until 2 days ago. I guess some update broke it.
I am a bit of a noob and not terribly technical. I have connected using putty and run smb21enable ok. But I notice 2 users above say they switched to SMB1.0 to fix it. What's the command I need to run in putty to try that? SMB2.1 is obvioulsy not working for me.
The problem I get when I try to connect via my network shares from my laptop is a "Enter Network Credentials" prompt and none of my creds work. I can however get to my home drive and to the download shared folder on the NAS. But nothing else even though I originally set all the shares up exactly the same and they have not changed.

Help I need to get to my data.

EDIT: I worked out how to force SMB1.0 by running smb2disable, a complete guess! However that didn't fix it. I still get the windows prompt to enter network credentials. This is annoying. My creds should work. Is the issue the NAS or windows 10?

I simply cannot figure this out.

EDIT2
FIXED. Work around. With some help from a colleague we discovered that the some of the default shares had corrupted and the perms screwed up. Even forcing them from the linux shell failed. Solution was to create new shares and move all my data. All good now.
jocaferlo
New here

Post by jocaferlo »

Hi.

I'm having same problem as any of you, but with a small difference:
I can access to my shared folders in NAS just after I rebooted my PC with Windows 10. But after the PC goes to sleep or only the screen switch off I cannot access to those shared folders anymore, until I rebooted the PC again.
The situation is the same as described by @helelena. And I made all the steps as explained by @schumaku. But... still the same behavior.

Do you know what could be the problem?

Regards.
stephenju
New here

Post by stephenju »

I just installed a 231+ and can only access its folders by typing \\nasname in Windows Explorer in Windows 10. I can't see the NAS listed in Network in Explorer. I do see all other Windows machines. Is this expected?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

stephenju wrote:I just installed a 231+ and can only access its folders by typing \\nasname in Windows Explorer in Windows 10. I can't see the NAS listed in Network in Explorer.
Might happen some security stuff might block the NetBIOS server announcements there? As \\nasname works, the NetBIOS name resolution does work when queried. But right now, I see a Win 10 system not listing the NetBIOS announced NAS, too - while others on the same network perfectly do. The mighty wonders of Microsoft? Temporarily disable and re-enable network discovery might help.
stephenju wrote:I do see all other Windows machines.
The "other" unspecified Windows systems are probably announced by a different protocol - WSD. You can add the Discovery Method in the Explorer list view, by right clicking in the Explorer header line along whit the Name, Category, Workgroup, Network Location, ...

Return to “File Sharing”