IP Filter - Stupid Mistake

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
amsebast
Starting out

IP Filter - Stupid Mistake

Post by amsebast »

STUPID STUPID MISTAKE!!!

I used the IP FILTER option to establish a list of valid user IPs. I forgot to include IP range 192.168.1.x to 192.168.1.y :oops:

Now I cannot connect to the NAS. I am not sure on how to deal with this problem. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Don
Guru

Re: IP Filter - Stupid Mistake

Post by Don »

If you have set up the NAS to get it's IP address via DHCP you can try the following:

Change the DHCP server to assign addresses in the range that you have allowed.
Reboot the NAS.
If you PC does not use DHCP change it so it does.
If your PC does use DHCP do an 'ipconfig /renew' at a command prompt.

You should now have access to your NAS. Add the range you want and put everything back the way it was.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
jm45
Easy as a breeze

Post by jm45 »

hi,
did you try "qnap finder" tool to access your Nas ?

Not sure but, with this tool, you should success to give one of your configured "valid IP" to your NAS,
and then, manually, a static valid IP in the same range to your pc.

just the time to login and correct the IP filters
TS-109 II firmware version: 3.1.0 Build 0708T (1TB disk)
amsebast
Starting out

Post by amsebast »

Thanks gentlemen.....I will try the DHCP option. I have a spare router and will take a client and the NAS off net to create a small network with the correct IP range.

BTW _ QNAP Finder can in fact locate the TS-809 and returns Server Name, IP Address, BIOS Version, Server Type and MAC Address of the NAS but it cannot connect, configure, or get details for the unit.

QNAP: I recommend for the IP Filter settings to allow a currently connected clients IP address to be automatically included in the allowed IP address list. Otherwise you might get more of these embarrassing support questions. Thanks again folks.
amsebast
Starting out

Post by amsebast »

As a final response:

1. I setup a router with a net address in the range of one of the IP(s) in the IP Filter range list;
2. Set the NAS and the client to accept an IP from the routers DHCP whose range started with the IP Filter'd IP address....eg. if one of the IP addresses in the filter list is 96.46.xxx.15 then the DHCP address range setup on the router is 96.46.xxx.15 to 96.46.xxx.16 to accomodate a client and the NAS;
3. Added a client and the NAS to the Routers switch ports;
4. Booted the client pc first so that it would get the IP address 96.46.xxx.15. This was important as this is one of the allowed IP addresses in the IP Filter list;
5. I then booted the NAS and its IP address was then 96.46.xxx.16;
6. Finally, used the client's browser to gain access to the NAS management screen and added the internal LAN address range of 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.254;
7. Moved the client and NAS back to the production network and rebooted both;
8. Logged into the NAS and changed the IP to a fixed IP address in the internal LAN address range.

There may be easier ways - but I couldn't find one documented. I hope you don't make this mistake - but recognize it is a revocable process that you can recover from without losing all your setup info. Thanks again for your help, Alan.
amsebast
Starting out

Post by amsebast »

You may want to review the post titled: TS-809 Pro IP Filter List
petur

Post by petur »

hitting the reset button at the back will reset admin password, IP filters and maybe some other things (do not press it too long, release after first beep. If perssed for 10 seconds it resets everything!)
Praat je liever over QNAP in het Nederlands?
Liever een community bij jou in de buurt?

Kom naar QNAPclub België/Nederland

Return to “Users' Corner”