Busybox

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
PiroNet
Easy as a breeze

Busybox

Post by PiroNet »

On my TS-459 I added successfully a copy of Busybox (v1.16) from the latest stable version available at http://www.busybox.net/downloads/binaries/1.16.0/
I copied the file into /share/MD0_DATA/ directory to avoid deletion upon device reboot.

I have rebooted the QNAP device and so far so good.
This is totally unsupported by QNAP so don't do it unless you know what you're doing! And please make a backup before!

What are the benefits? Among many much more utilities added, now I can use NSLOOKUP :)

The QNAP's original Busybox version v1.01 has the following functions:
addgroup, adduser, ash, awk, basename, bunzip2, busybox, bzcat, cat, chgrp, chmod, chown, chroot, chvt, clear, cmp, cp, crond, crontab, cut, date, dd, deallocvt, delgroup, deluser, df, dirname, dmesg, dos2unix, du, echo, egrep, env, expr, false, fdisk, fgrep, find, free, getty, grep, gunzip, gzip, halt, head, hexdump, hostname, hwclock, id, ifconfig, init, insmod, install, ip, kill, killall, klogd, linuxrc, ln, logger, login, ls, lsmod, md5sum, mkdir, mknod, mktemp, dprobe, more, mount, mv, nameif, netstat, openvt, passwd, pidof, ping, ping6, pivot_root, poweroff, ps, pwd, readlink, reboot, renice, reset, rm, rmdir, rmmod, route, sed, sh, sha1sum, sleep,sort, strings, swapoff, swapon, sync, sysctl, syslogd, tail, tar, tee, telnet, test, tftp, time, top, touch, tr, traceroute, true, tty, umount, uname, uniq, unix2dos, unzip, uptime, usleep, vi, wc, wget, which, whoami, xargs, yes, zcat

The added currrent stable version (v1.16) from Busybox.net has the following functions:
acpid, addgroup, adduser, adjtimex, arp, arping, ash, awk, basename, bbconfig, beep, blkid, brctl,bunzip2, bzcat, bzip2, cal, cat, catv, chat, chattr, chgrp, chmod, chown, chpasswd, chpst, chroot, chrt,chvt, cksum, clear, cmp, comm, cp, cpio, crond, crontab, cryptpw, cttyhack, cut, date, dc, dd, deallocvt,delgroup, deluser, depmod, devmem, df, dhcprelay, diff, dirname, dmesg, dnsd, dnsdomainname, dos2unix, dpkg,dpkg-deb, du, dumpkmap, dumpleases, echo, ed, egrep, eject, env, envdir, envuidgid, ether-wake, expand, expr,fakeidentd, false, fbset, fbsplash, fdflush, fdformat, fdisk, fgrep, find, findfs, flashcp, fold, free,freeramdisk, fsck, fsck.minix, fsync, ftpd, ftpget, ftpput, fuser, getopt, getty, grep, gunzip, gzip, halt,hd, hdparm, head, hexdump, hostid, hostname, httpd, hush, hwclock, id, ifconfig, ifdown, ifenslave, ifplugd,ifup, inetd, init, insmod, install, ionice, ip, ipaddr, ipcalc, ipcrm, ipcs, iplink, iproute, iprule, iptunnel, kbd_mode, kill, killall, killall5, klogd, lash, last, length, less, linux32, linux64, linuxrc, ln,loadfont, loadkmap, logger, login, logname, logread, losetup, lpd, lpq, lpr, ls, lsattr, lsmod, lspci, lsusb, lzmacat, lzop, lzopcat, makedevs, makemime, man, md5sum, mdev, mesg, microcom, mkdir, mkdosfs, mkfifo,mkfs.minix, mkfs.reiser, mkfs.vfat, mknod, mkpasswd, mkswap, mktemp, modprobe, more, mount, mountpoint, msh,mt, mv, nameif, nc, netstat, nice,nmeter, nohup, nslookup, ntpd, od, openvt, passwd, pgrep, pidof, ping,ping6, pipe_progress, pivot_root, pkill, popmaildir, poweroff, printenv, printf, ps, pscan, pwd, raidautorun,rdate, rdev, readahead, readlink, readprofile,realpath, reboot, reformime, renice, reset, resize, rm, rmdir,rmmod, route, rpm, rpm2cpio, rtcwake, run-parts, runlevel, runsv, runsvdir, rx, script, scriptreplay, sed,sendmail, seq, setarch, setconsole, setfont, setkeycodes, setlogcons, setsid, setuidgid, sh, sha1sum,sha256sum, sha512sum, showkey, slattach, sleep, softlimit, sort, split, start-stop-daemon, stat, strings,stty, su, sulogin, sum, sv, svlogd, swapoff, swapon, switch_root, sync, sysctl, syslogd, tac, tail, tar,tcpsvd, tee, telnet, telnetd, test, tftp, tftpd, time, timeout, top, touch, tr, traceroute, traceroute6,true, tty, ttysize, tunctl, udhcpc, udhcpd, udpsvd, umount, uname, uncompress, unexpand, uniq, unix2dos,unlzma, unlzop, unzip, uptime, usleep, uudecode, uuencode, vconfig, vi, vlock, volname, wall, watch,watchdog, wc, wget, which, who, whoami, xargs, yes, zcat, zcip

Usage:
/share/MD0_DATA/./busybox116 [function] [arguments]

Example: /share/MD0_DATA/./busybox116 nslookup <My ISP DNS IP>

Have fun :D
sl1000
Experience counts

Re: Busybox

Post by sl1000 »

why not rename busybox to busybox.old and make a symbolic link from the file to /bin?

Code: Select all

mv busybox busybox.old
 busybox.old ln -s /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/busybox /bin/busybox
 ln -s /bin/busybox /bin/nslookup
 nslookup
BusyBox v1.16.0 (2010-02-06 05:37:18 CST) multi-call binary.

Usage: nslookup [HOST] [SERVER]
(add extra symbolic links for all command you want to use)
if you add those lines to autorun.sh you even should have a nativly working busybox, surving reboots :)
Try searching the perfect online manual, forum or the Wiki for answers before posting
### Retired developer ###
PowerMAC
Been there, done that

Post by PowerMAC »

Looks great.

Is it not possible to completely replace the old BusyBox with this newer version? And without needing to enter the full path to it every time? And that is still survives a reboot?

Have you encountered any problems with it yet?

thanks.

UPDATE: hehe too late, yeah what SL1000 said ...
“Count the black dots, recount to confirm…” http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/lum_scGrid/index.html
sl1000
Experience counts

Post by sl1000 »

PowerMAC wrote:Looks great.

Is it not possible to completely replace the old BusyBox with this newer version? And without needing to enter the full path to it every time? And that is still survives a reboot?

Have you encountered any problems with it yet?

thanks.

UPDATE: hehe too late, yeah what SL1000 said ...
seems to work nicely with the updated version. i was already fiddeling with it for a couple of days :)
Try searching the perfect online manual, forum or the Wiki for answers before posting
PowerMAC
Been there, done that

Post by PowerMAC »

Good to hear, I might also give it a try one of these days. Thanks.

Btw, which busy-box version do I need to download for my x86 based TS-509;

http://www.busybox.net/downloads/binaries/1.16.0/

busybox-i586 OR busybox-i686 ?

Also, I don't need the 'config' file that's also in that directory do I?
“Count the black dots, recount to confirm…” http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/lum_scGrid/index.html
sl1000
Experience counts

Post by sl1000 »

do it on your own risk eh :mrgreen:
you wouldn't need the config, and for the 509 i guess you need the 686 as 586 is for the really old pentium processors.
just download, rename, and test before you replace anything.

oh and when you are going to fiddle with autorun.sh don't forget you always need to add the full path to EVERY command.

(Pironet, sorry for hijacking your thread)
PowerMAC
Been there, done that

Post by PowerMAC »

Don't worry, the risk will be all mine. :) Thanks for the info.
WHQ
Starting out

Post by WHQ »

That is great!
Which version I should use for my TS-110? I found several for busybox 1.16.1 (http://www.busybox.net/downloads/binaries/1.16.1/)
busybox-armv4eb 29-Mar-2010 20:49 1.0M
busybox-armv4l 29-Mar-2010 20:49 1.0M
busybox-armv4tl 29-Mar-2010 20:50 1.1M
busybox-armv5l 29-Mar-2010 20:50 1.1M
busybox-armv6l 29-Mar-2010 20:50 1.1M

I tried busybox-armv5l since "uname -a" show "armv5tel" in result, it seems do work.

Return to “Miscellaneous”