Did I loose my data?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
DeeJay
New here

Did I loose my data?

Post by DeeJay »

I bought a new 439ProII+ and installed three drives in it. I then took my drive from my 219P and put it inside the 439. The data on the disc was not visible so i put it back in the 219P hoping that I could transfer it from the 219p to the 439. However, the 219p provided me with a window stating that to complete the migration I should select the latest firmware for the current nas and install it. Alternatively i could re-initialise the disc but that would erase all data. So I chose to load the firmware. After installing the firmware the NAS is now back online but the data doesn't show anymore. Is it really gone or is there a way to recover it?

I have had this problem in the past and I was able to recover the data but I don't remember how I did it. I don't even know if the situation is comparable.

Also, if you want to move a disc from one nas to another, is it possible to migrate the data along with it or do you have to copy it over the network from one model to the next?
TonyPh12345
Been there, done that

Re: Did I loose my data?

Post by TonyPh12345 »

It depends on the model.

But either way, you're only supposed to install the OLD disks, not a combination of old and new disks.

You add the new disks AFTER the system migration is complete.
DeeJay
New here

Post by DeeJay »

But I didn't want to use the old disc. I bought several new discs of a new type and i wanted to only use the new ones and then transfer the data from the old to the new disc.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

When you added the old disk from the 219 into the 439 it was initialized for use in the 439. It is stated in several places in the documentation that a disk added to an already configured NAS will be formatted.

What you should have done to get the data from the 219 was either or
  • Copy the data from the 219 to the 439.
Maybe at least some of your data can still be recovered from the disk with an appropriate recovery program and some manual work?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”