Seeing the progress of raid expansion?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
AssetBurned
Getting the hang of things

Seeing the progress of raid expansion?

Post by AssetBurned »

Hi

Is it possible to see the process of the RAID expansion?

I started the process some hours ago and I'm a bit confused about what is going on. The RAID should be expanded from 5x 1TB to 5x 2TB. But all I get is a status LED that is blinking red and green. I can not see anything on the big LCD (refuses to show me anything even if i press one of the buttons right of it).
And the whole QNAP sounds like that the only thing doing something are the fans.

If I'm able to connect to the QNAP via SSH (sometimes getting time outs) then it doesn't take very long to let the connection freeze again and I can't do anything.

I thought it will be similar to replacing a disc and I will see (and hear) some progress.

CU AssetBurned
Happy converter from a Drobo to a TS-659Pro+ now with a mix of discs in a RAID-5 (Hitachi, Samsung and WD) and a single disc that want to be replaced soon :-)
NAS: TS-659P+ | F/W: 3.6.1 Build 0302T | RAID-5 (I will check this later) + Single Disc (WD10EACS) | QPKG: IPKG, Pyload, AirVideo and some others | IPKG: nothing
N/W: Apple Airport Extreme Gigabit+802.11n, Airport Express 802.11n
AssetBurned
Getting the hang of things

Re: Seeing the progress of raid expansion?

Post by AssetBurned »

Some stuff first. I had a TS-659 Pro+ (firmware 3.5.2 Build 1126) with 5x 1TB in RAID5 and slowly replaced all hard discs by 4x 2TB and 1x 3TB (was the only available in store that was bigger then 1TB).
All the discs where replaced via pulling them out and putting in the new discs. I speeded up the rebuild process with the help of this topic http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10268 (guess its well known by now in this forum).

And then I tried to use the growing feature via web GUI that failed as written in my previous posting.

What have I done next?

(heck this worked for me, never said it will work for you. so if you follow this please make a backup and prepare for the worst! I'm just writing it down as an reminder for myself and because I hate topics that are solved but the topic creator doesn't post how)

ok i simply checked via SSH if i can find any resize processes and I couldn't so I rebooted the whole QNAP and everything was as before.

back via SSH on the QNAP I did the following:
(stolen from 2 postings here http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?p=216483 and http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=12109)

1) stop the services with: /etc/init.d/services.sh stop
2) checked with df /dev/md0 the size of the RAID.
3) checked the state of the RAID with: mdadm -D /dev/md0
4) checked the mtab for the file system (which is ext4 in my case) with: cat /etc/mtab
5) unmounted the RAID with: umount /dev/md0
6) turn ext4 journaling off with: tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/md0
7) did some RAID voodoo (without this resize2fs said that there is nothing to do) with: mdadm --grow --size=max /dev/md0
8) run the e2fsck command to check your filesystem for errors: e2fsck -f /dev/md0
9) extend the RAID, this will take a while with: resize2fs /dev/md0
10) Recheck the filesystem using the -n option so no changes are made: e2fsck -n /dev/md0
11) Turn the journaling back on: tune2fs -j /dev/md0
12) since my RAID is degenerated now it takes a while to be fine again see: cat /proc/mdstat
13) speed up the regeneration with: echo 500000 > /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_max
14) and further speed up with: echo 100000 > /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min
15) after the rebuild was done reboot snap via reboot and done !!!

So what I assume is that I could perform step 13 and 14, before step 9. That would decrease the whole time a bit more.
I was watching the blinking LEDs and not the status of my terminal so I guess I waisted a bit of time I started steps 10 and the following. The rebuild starts right after resize is done!.

So I'm finishing with a big thanks to prmathys, PK_TS509 and Don for there postings which helped me here!
Happy converter from a Drobo to a TS-659Pro+ now with a mix of discs in a RAID-5 (Hitachi, Samsung and WD) and a single disc that want to be replaced soon :-)
NAS: TS-659P+ | F/W: 3.6.1 Build 0302T | RAID-5 (I will check this later) + Single Disc (WD10EACS) | QPKG: IPKG, Pyload, AirVideo and some others | IPKG: nothing
N/W: Apple Airport Extreme Gigabit+802.11n, Airport Express 802.11n

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”