extra hdd and raid change without formatting?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Nicop
New here

extra hdd and raid change without formatting?

Post by Nicop »

Hello, I have a TS 412 with a Seagate 3 TB drive.
Now I want to add a hard disks. And later more.

Can it do this without any problem or should i first backup the data?

Same question about the raid adapt, can I customize 4 discs to raid 5 ? or is everything being formatted when change from raid 0 to raid 5?

grt Nico
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Re: extra hdd and raid change without formatting?

Post by doktornotor »

I would suggest to read the fine manual
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I'm confused and you have not made yourself clear.

Do you have one drive now and you are adding a second drive? How will you configure the drives?

You cannot migrate from raid 0 to raid 1,5, 10, or anyting else.

Please read the on-line manual tht explains what you can do and what you can't do.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Nicop wrote:Hello, I have a TS 412 with a Seagate 3 TB drive.
Now I want to add a hard disks. And later more.

Same question about the raid adapt, can I customize 4 discs to raid 5 ? or is everything being formatted when change from raid 0 to raid 5?
doktornotor wrote:I would suggest to read the fine manual
If you follow the instructions in the RAID Management section of the QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual, as recommended by "doktornotor", you will discover that QNAP does NOT support Online RAID Level Migration from RAID0. (Mostly due to the fact, that RAID0 is not RAID; RAID0 provides no Redundancy whatsoever).

RAID0 is very risky! When a drive "fails" under RAID0 you will loose all your data on all of your drives.

If you want to Use Online RAID Capacity Expansion and RAID Level Migration together you need to start with a supported RAID level. You can indeed add additional drives to an existing RAID array to expand capacity.

SingleDrive: 1 * 3 TB = 2.7 TB of non-redundant storage.
RAID1: 2 * 3TB = 2.7 TB of redundant storage.
RAID5: 3 * 3TB = 5.4 TB of redundant storage.
RAID5: 4 * 3TB = 8.1 TB of redundant storage.

When a drive fails under RAID1/RAID5/RAID6/RAID10, you simply follow the instructions in QNAP Tutorial: Hot-swapping the hard drives when the RAID crashes, which typically will get you up and running without data loss. When a drive fails under SingleDrive you loose all your data on the failed drive. When a Drive fails under JBOD or RAID0 you loose all your data on all of your drives.

If you value your data, and want to protect that data, you will want to purchase a second 3TB drive, and use Online RAID Level Migration to migrate from your existing risky SingleDrive to RAID1 data protection. You "paid" for RAID, when you bought your NAS, why aren't you using it? Drives are easy to replace, but data isn't.

If you choose to stay with SingleDrive, I would suggest that you implement a very strict backup regime in order to protect your data from drive failure. Please consider migrating to RAID1/RAID5/RAID6/RAID10 protection. SingleDrive is a very risky configuration, as not only is all your data stored on a single drive, but your NAS configuration is also only stored on the SingleDrive. When it fails under SingleDrive, you will not only lose all your data, you will also loose your NAS configuration, which will require starting over from scratch with a replacement drive. Very Risky!

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Nicop
New here

Post by Nicop »

Thanks all!
So if I understand it correctly,
I have to format my current hard drive, then put it in raid 1.
I can add in stages hard disc 2,3 and 4
and if I have 4 disks i can go without problems migrating to RAID 5? And without data loss go from raid 1 to 5? Or should i migrate with empty discs?
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

No you don't understand it correctly. Please read the manual.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Nicop wrote:Thanks all!
So if I understand it correctly,
I have to format my current hard drive, then put it in raid 1.
I can add in stages hard disc 2,3 and 4
and if I have 4 disks i can go without problems migrating to RAID 5? And without data loss go from raid 1 to 5? Or should i migrate with empty discs?
Please review QNAP Tutorial: Online RAID Level Migration as previously recommended. There is no need to format your present drive at all, you can migrate it.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

Nicop
New here

Post by Nicop »

Thanks pwilson,

i read it but was confused because Don said:

so if i understand it correctly now, ik can put in the new drives and migrate all the drives to raid 5 without data loss?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Nicop wrote:Hello, I have a TS 412 with a Seagate 3 TB drive.
If it is only a single disk it must be configured as a single disk volume. A single disk volume can be migrated into RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6 or RAID 10 as explained in the documentation.
Now I want to add a hard disks.
When having a single disk volume (as you said above) and adding one (1) other disk of equal or larger size you can migrate into RAID 1 as explained in the documentation.
And later more.
When having a RAID 1 volume and adding one or more disk of equal or larger size you can migrate into RAID 5, RAID 6 or RAID 10 as explained in the documentation.
When doing the above mentioned or any other supported RAID migration/expansion operation described in the documentation, it should retain your data. That said, anything can go wrong at any time so you should always have a complete backup of all data.
Same question about the raid adapt, can I customize 4 discs to raid 5 ?
:-0 :shock: :?
Here you suddenly start to talk about a totally different(?) scenario and confuses everyone. I have no idea what you mean here. I can't see this in any way being related to the first part of this post. If you think it is, you have to explain better what exactly it is you have and what you want to do.
or is everything being formatted when change from raid 0 to raid 5?
This question by itself describe an impossible migration path and the multiple negative answers here in the thread are very correct. I can't see this in any way being related to the first part of this post. If you think it is, you have to explain better what you have and what exactly it is you want to do.

When the questions asked are unclear, the answers will very likely feel confusing.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Nicop wrote:Thanks pwilson,

i read it but was confused because Don said:

so if i understand it correctly now, ik can put in the new drives and migrate all the drives to raid 5 without data loss?
What is to be confused about. You can NOT migrate from RAID0 to RAID5. We've explained this several times. Your present drive is setup as SingleDrive, and that can be migrated to RAID1/RAID5/RAID6/RAID10.

Please review QNAP Tutorial: Online RAID Level Migration as previously recommended several times in this thread by several people. There is no need to format your present drive at all, you can migrate it.

If you aren't going to follow the advice that is provided, what is the point of asking for advice in the first place. Have you actually read any of the documents recommeneded. Doing so will give you QNAP's advice, not just ours. If you'd actually read the documents cited, you would not be confused about it at all.

RAID0 is extremely risky, and is a dead end street. Once you use RAID0, your only upgrade path is to backup, wipe, create new RAID0, and restore data. This is slow, and a lot of work, which will only give you yet another extemely risky configuration.

Migrate from SingleDisk to RAID, and further migrations/expansions are easy.

Click on this image to get to the QNAP Tutorial: Online RAID Level Migration.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”