HELP - boots but can't connect to it except for ping

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
outweigh
New here

HELP - boots but can't connect to it except for ping

Post by outweigh »

Hi,

I believe I have the same or similar problem to this thread here: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... f5#p304444 Hence why I replied, but haven't gotten a response yet so trying a new topic now...

I've had my TS259 (raid1 encrypted) a while but actually I only use it rarely, and just to backup files from the home (Win XP) computer. Thus I'm still rather a newbie and/or I forget about how to do things ... so I'm trying to tread very cautiously in resolving this issue as I really don't want to lose the data on it.

Anyway all was fine the last time I did anything (a couple of months ago!), but when I fired it up the other day it all seemed to boot ok, but the QFinder couldn't find it and I couldn't browse to it or ssh it on its static IP. And the power button is flashing at a .5s rate, though IIRC that's normal as the disks are still locked.

I then guessed that I was stuffed because in the meantime I've changed ISP and so they've sent me a new modem/router (Technicolor TG788vn) and the poor NAS couldn't be found as the gateway etc is all different. Being a bit of a lemon with routers/networking I tried various things to try make visible again the NAS on its old IP ... I think I would have got there much faster if I just added its static IP rather faffing around with DHCP pools. But suffice to say in rebooting the NAS QFinder saw it appear - note on my very first boot I only launched QFinder after it had booted, so it may have found it even with no router faffing whatsoever.

I thought I was ok at this point, but no I couldn't browse to it and so unlock the disks because they're encrypted. I then noted I could at least ping it, but nothing more, no ssh.

Now the strange stuff and where it relates to the original poster's symptoms. In repeatedly rebooting I discovered I could reconfigure the Network settings in QFinder, but only if I managed to apply the changes before the final boot beep. After the final beep it became inaccessible and no longer findable ... but still pingable.

So I was able to reconfigure the network settings back to DHCP and using my new router's gateway and it now appears at a new sensible IP address, but I still can't get into the UI or ssh to it. Well actually I can get into the UI (and probably ssh to it) but only if I'm quick enough after QFinder finds it and before the final boot beep.

So what is happening at that final beep that thereafter all current connections fail and it becomes inaccessible to all future attempts? Is it something to do with security settings/certificates? I don't recall what configuration it's set to in this regard, but knowing me it's probably accepting only https connections and other similarly paranoid settings are doubtless enabled too.

Also could my new router be an issue? I've already had issues with it because the PPTP port wasn't forwarding. So on final beep could it be requiring some extra protocol to be working and finds it isn't and kills all connections?

Any suggestions most welcome ... and if via UI/ssh then bear in mind I only have like 30s to click/type it all ;) I haven't tried to reset it yet as I really don't want to brick it/wipe it given I'm rather out of my depth even doing the basics! And so wanted to see what anybody thought before getting myself even more in a mess.

Regards
outweigh
New here

Re: HELP - boots but can't connect to it except for ping

Post by outweigh »

I'm still hoping someone out there can shed some light on my NAS's reluctance to communicate...
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

outweigh wrote:I'm still hoping someone out there can shed some light on my NAS's reluctance to communicate...
You are likely to continue to wait forever. You are asking about network issues on your NAS, but you have not bothered to provide any Log information or IP information about your setup. I personally think that "static" assignment of IP information for the NAS is a mistake, for exactly the reasons you've already cited.

I personally leave my NAS setup to get it's IP address via DHCP, so that it is always accessible by QNAP finder at the very least. I simply use the "DHCP Reserveration" settings in my Router, to ensure that my NAS always gets the same IP address from DHCP everytime it boots. By doing this in my Router, rather than my NAS, I can take my NAS to other networks (friend's houses), and plug it into their network, and still be able to access it from machines on their network. (QNAP Finder will find the IP on the network my NAS is "visiting").

Check out the Technicolor TG788vn User Guide, to see if this product supports DHCP Reservation / Static IP Address Assignment. If you require further assistance from us, please review article: When you're asking a question, please include the following, also please furnish a URL where we can review the "Technicolor TG788vn VDSL Router/Modem User Manual". This manufacturer does not make this document easy to access on their Website.

If you actually want our help, please be prepared to provide this information.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
outweigh
New here

Post by outweigh »

Now back from holidays I returned to looking at getting back in touch with the NAS. Turns out a basic reset was sufficient.

Return to “Miscellaneous”