No Longer Able to Login or Reset Password

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Homewrecker
New here

No Longer Able to Login or Reset Password

Post by Homewrecker »

I own a TS-421 NAS and was in the process of copying files over to a larger HDD that I installed. I shut everything down for the night (except the NAS) and wanted to continue today.
Upon starting windows I received a message stating that it could not re-connect to all the drives. I entered the usual password and it no longer worked. I tried to login into the Admin screen for the NAS and I could no longer do that either. I received an 'invalid username or password' message.

I don't understand how this happened as I have not changed any settings. For some reason though I can still access 1 of the 4 NAS drives in windows but it won't let me connect the other 3.I also tried the 3 second reset method twice with no success (admin/admin or administrator/admin did not work).

I've read about another method where one pulls out all the HDD's, power it up empty, use Qfinder to find the NAS and then use SSH to access the NAS.
That information was several years old and I was wondering if there is another way as I don't want to mess around with SSH etc. I've got over 20TB worth of Data that I cannot afford to lose.

This thing has me so aggravated that I feel like going out and getting another unit to plug my drives into and tossing this one out the window.
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Re: No Longer Able to Login or Reset Password

Post by kherr4377 »

very sparse info .....

need at least firmware, drive models, win or mac ...... did you just update firmware

crystal ball is broke right now ...
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
Homewrecker
New here

Re: No Longer Able to Login or Reset Password

Post by Homewrecker »

kherr4377 wrote:very sparse info .....

need at least firmware, drive models, win or mac ...... did you just update firmware

crystal ball is broke right now ...
Firmware is 4.2.2 and was updated several months ago. It worked fine until recently.
Drives are WD Red 8TB, 6TB, 6TB & 4TH set up as single disk volumes.
OS is Windows 7

I tried the reset procedure using PuTTY but it still wont accept the password as 'admin'.
I connect to the host, enter the username as 'admin'. When is enter the password as 'admin' PuTTY window closes and I have to start over and always get the same result.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”