VPN Connected but no access to certain LAN IPs

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
gladxrt
New here

VPN Connected but no access to certain LAN IPs

Post by gladxrt »

Hi guys,

I'm new to this world of NAS, hope I can explain the problem I'm getting.

So I've configured an OpenVPN and Linux Station, everything works fine inside of my local network, I can access the NAS IP let's say 192.168.0.X and the Linux Station IP let's say 192.168.0.Y
The problem happens when I connect from outside of my network, VPN connects fine, I've done the correct port forwarding for the openVPN and nothing else, I can ping the Linux IP but I can't ping the NAS IP, which is blocking me from accessing other services like ownCloud.
This looks like a simple issue but it's driving me crazy, does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? Since I cant ping the NAS, nothing shows up in the Qfinder Pro either.

Cheers
Carlos
schumaku
Guru

Re: VPN Connected but no access to certain LAN IPs

Post by schumaku »

Hi Carlos,

The NAS VPN implentation is done (to keep things simple) using a dedicated subnet for each VPN type. This requires that all connections from the VPN to the LAN are NATed many2one to the designated LAN interface. In absence of a NAT loopback permitting to reach and access this interface, one has to use the VPN subnet .1 address for this purpose.

Qfinder does work on broadcast - which is blocked or filtered on the VPNs - you can't use Qfinder over the NAS VPNs.

Regards,
-Kurt
gladxrt
New here

Post by gladxrt »

Thanks for the help Kurt, so why do I have access to the Linux station through the 192.168.x.and I only have access to the NAS throught the 10.8.x addresses? My vpn is configured to setup connections on 10.8.x, wouldn't all the traffic be redirected through this?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

gladxrt wrote:so why do I have access to the Linux station through the 192.168.x.and I only have access to the NAS throught the 10.8.x addresses?
Yes, all except the IP address used to bring the VPN into the LAN. Because all addresses can be reached through the NAT config on the LAN IP (which is becoming the source IP for these connections over the VPN sub-network), except of the LAN IP itself - because there is no NAT loopback.
gladxrt wrote:My vpn is configured to setup connections on 10.8.x, wouldn't all the traffic be redirected through this?
All VPN traffic is using this transfer network - the issue is explained above.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”