New User needs help with single disk to RAID 1 change

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
leroy_j_nav
New here

New User needs help with single disk to RAID 1 change

Post by leroy_j_nav »

Hi, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to configure my TS-228 from a single disk to a two disk RAID 1 system. Background: I started with a single 4TB disk in a non RAID configuration - just a NAS drive, and then loaded all of my files onto it - about 2.5TB. I then bought another 4TB disk to set the system up as a RAID 1 system. I have tried re configuring the TS-228 for RAID 1, but to no avail. When I go into the Control Panel App/Storage Manager/Wizard to "create a storage pool", there are No disks to select, even though I see them in Storage Manager. Only my first disk has data, the second disk is empty. I am running firmware version 4.3.4.0435 Build Q168B16398.

I must be going through this completely the wrong way, can anyone please point me in the right direction... I hope that I don't have to start from scratch and reformat my DataVol1 disk...
dolbyman
Guru

Re: New User needs help with single disk to RAID 1 change

Post by dolbyman »

did you check the online manual?
samjam
Getting the hang of things

Post by samjam »

I had the same problem; I knew "what to do" and "how to do it" I just couldn't find where to do it.

Now you don't need to create a storage pool; you've either already created one, or you are using plain partitions and it's too late to create one; but either way it's not related to your task at hand which is to "migrate raid" from single disk to raid-1.

What you need to do I can't confirm until later today when I have my next disk ready to do it again, but I think this is the right part of the docs: http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.3/cat2/en/in ... groups.htm under Migrating Raid Configuration

Note: What the MANAGE button does depends on what you have selected, and the new disk won't show up there until you start to migrate
Migrating RAID Configuration

With this function, a RAID configuration can be migrated to a different RAID configuration. This option is supported for the following drive configurations: Migrating single drives to RAID 1; Migrating RAID 1 to RAID 5; Migrating RAID 5 to RAID 6. Follow these steps to migrate a RAID configuration:

1. Go to "Storage Manager" > "STORAGE" > "Storage Space".
2. Double click a storage pool to bring up the Storage Pool Management page.
3. Select a RAID group and click "Manage" > "Migrate".
4. Select the hard disk drive(s) from the list and click "Apply".
5. Please note that all data on the selected hard disk drive(s) will be erased. Click "Yes" if you are certain about this.
6. The chosen RAID configuration is migrated to the new one.
samjam

Post by samjam »

Here's the steps I did:

1. Open Storage & Snapshots
2. Storage section,
3. Choose Storage/Snapshots section
4. Click on the Storage Pool
5. Click on manage, and it opens a storage pool management window.
6. Click on the raid group or whatever top level item you have in the table
7. Click on Manage
8. Click on Migrate

See an image here https://photos.app.goo.gl/mtZD3XzD5JN0Hu143
or here: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/PcsiZ ... 37-h830-no
leroy_j_nav
New here

Post by leroy_j_nav »

Hi samjam, thank you for the directions - I appreciate it, I will try it out right now. BTW - how long does it take for the system to mirror the data to the second disk? Disk 1 has about 2.5TB of data.
leroy_j_nav
New here

Post by leroy_j_nav »

samjam, I get to step 3 below, but my "manage" button is grayed out.
Qnap 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
samjam

Post by samjam »

That is step 7 surely?
And you missed step 6 perhaps? Did you click on "Raid Group 1" in the table to enable "Manage"

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”