How to migrate to new NAS (Same model)

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Starz26
Starting out

How to migrate to new NAS (Same model)

Post by Starz26 »

My old model died during a firmware upgrade.

No matter what I do I get the Installation wizard screen. I do not want the drives formatted, I want them migrated.

I have tried installing the drives both ways and restarting but I always get the wizard which says it will initialize the drive.

Can anyone provide step by step to get the NAS to recognize the drives as being migrated?

I also tried booting without the drives and the installation wizard would not let me do anything as it said there were no drives attached.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How to migrate to new NAS (Same model)

Post by dolbyman »

most of the firmware and os is on the disks ..so that is why you probably get the wizard ...

try booting the nas without drives ..when you can reach the install wizards,insert the drives and see if it works (drives with qnap signature should be found then)
Starz26
Starting out

Post by Starz26 »

When I boot without drives, it tells me in order to continue please insert drives to be formatted or something like that
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

When you turn on the NAS and then put in the drives, the NAS should tell you that these drives have previously been in a QNAP. You then have the option to initialize the drives to wipe their data. Don't do that. Or you can choose to restore factory defaults and keep your data.

If you don't get the message that these drives have been in a qnap before, then call tech support, since the drives should be recognized as previously being in a qnap.
Starz26
Starting out

Post by Starz26 »

All I get is this. There is no option to call QNAP that I can find. only a support ticket. who knows how long that will be.

Any chance that I can format one of the two drives and use the second to rebuild the raid?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Starz26
Starting out

Post by Starz26 »

Am i screwed here? should I just let it go and reinitialize the drives?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

when the nas is booted up in the error screen (no disks) insert the disks
Starz26
Starting out

Post by Starz26 »

Yes. Not sure how else it would show that screen....That was the screen I got when I connected to the NAS via the IP address
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

not quite sure how that reply relates to my instructions
Starz26
Starting out

Post by Starz26 »

dolbyman wrote:not quite sure how that reply relates to my instructions
I read it wrong...

When I insert the disks, with the no drives message displayed, the screen updates and I get the wizard screen as shown above. Tried inserting them both ways in case I had them in backwards
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

try going through the wizard and see if the data is kept (recreate shares if you did not save files in the default shares)

if you want to start from scratch otherwise, you got not much to lose
Starz26
Starting out

Post by Starz26 »

I used the online chat with QNAP. James was on there and they were able to get everything working. Lots of commands via terminal and 1.5 hours later we were back up. no way it could have been solved in a forum.

Just wanted to say that out of all my interactions with tech support throughout my years, this was the most helpful and knowledgeable support I have connected with.

Back up and running and completely satisfied with the support provided....

Quick note: Had I continued with the wizard, all data would have been lost so for those in the future, DO NOT complete the wizard if you are in this situation unless QNAP tells you to or you do not care about the data on the drives.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

well .. that should be a lesson to you .. and have external backups of your NAS from now on
infors
New here

Post by infors »

Do you have any hint of what the problem was? I'm in exactly the same situation with a replacement for a failed NAS. I don't see any options for Online Chat with QNAP to try and resolve the problem - I can only "Submit a Ticket". Is there a way to get to Online Chat - I really don't want to have to restore everything from backup!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

make sure destination NAS is on the same firmware version as the old one

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”