New NAS with Old Drives

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
businkin
Starting out

New NAS with Old Drives

Post by businkin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi,

I am about to purchase a 4 bay QNAP. I have a 2 Bay QNAP with 3TB WD Red drives in RAID 1.

First question: how do I set up the 4 Bay NAS so that it recognises the data on the old drives with the 2 new drives?

Second question: What is the best RAID mode to use where protection from hard drive failure is the highest priority?

Third question: If I want to up my capacity and get new drives with a higher capacity, do I have to get 4 new drives of the same size or can I mix the 3TB drives with larger sized ones?

Thanks

Brad

dolbyman
Guru

Re: New NAS with Old Drives

Post by dolbyman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:29 pm

what model is the old nas ?

if its a cat1 ..then migration is ill advised (get new drives and copy the data over..or overwrite the old drives and recover the data from backups)

if it's cat2 ...follow the qnap migration website

you can mix sizes in a raid but the smallest size will dictate the overall size..so larger drives will have wasted capacity

businkin
Starting out

Post by businkin » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:01 am

Thanks.

The old one is a TS-219 II NAS. It has a problem. A QNAP technician remoted accessed and found the drives to be good but the NAS was suspect. Doesn't load the drives properly anymore and stopped mirroring a month ago.

What is my best option to restore the data from the existing working drives?

Thanks

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:22 am

migrate to the new unit ..backup the data externally (do that from now on, all the time)

then kill the old legacy volume and start a new static volume or thin/thick pool and restore from the backup

businkin
Starting out

Post by businkin » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:00 pm

I have just bought the NAS without disks. Will load existing 3TB drives into it and backup to external drive and to cloud. Then will decide if to buy two more 3TBs or get four larger drives.

Static volume and thin/thick pool - not familiar with that. Do you recommend any tutorials?

Thanks

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”