Best RAID setup for TS653 Pro with 4x 4TB + 2x 3TB

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
sfagg
Starting out

Best RAID setup for TS653 Pro with 4x 4TB + 2x 3TB

Post by sfagg » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:28 am

I've currently got:
  • 4 x WD 3TB EARX drives, one of which my NAS has been unable to read the SMART information only recently
  • 1x 2TB EARX drive (which was in a mirror but one drive died on me, so it could go any time)
I've just bought 4 x 4TB Seagate IronWolf NAS drives (I have always been a WD person but since they started this SMR debacle, I've decided to switch).
Ideally, I'd like to make use of these 4 new drives + 2 of the old WD 3TB drives.

I was wondering if people have an opinion (lol, of course everyone has an opinion!) on what is the best setup for the drives I have.
I've had my NAS for quite some time, and at the time of purchase I cannot remember whether Storage Volumes were available, and, as such, the current 4x3TB RAID 5 array is a 'legacy array', so I'll have to destroy that to make use of them.
I know there are 'Storage Volumes' now, but I've really not made any use of them to know what exactly I can do with the drives I have.

I'm most of the way through the process of transferring everything off the NAS, finding disks left right and centre to hoard off stuff until I can properly rebuild. I *MAY* need to use one of the 4TB drives temporarily on another machine and then add it to the Storage Pool (if possible) to make use of it properly. It's possibly I could use one of the 3TB drives currently in the NAS but that would put it into failover mode and I'm not comfortable leaving it in that situation until I know I've got all the data off.

Any help/comments would be gratefully received!

Steve
TS-653 Pro
RAID 5: 3 x 3TB WD30EFRX
RAID 2: 2 x 2TB WD20EARX

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”