2 Storage Pools on NAS

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
rolldog
Getting the hang of things

2 Storage Pools on NAS

Post by rolldog »

I've been using my TVS-882 for years with no problems, and I've installed 6 10TB disks in RAID 10, 2 SSDs in RAID1, 2 M.2 SSDs in RAID1, and 2 PCIe M.2 SSDs to use as cache. When I initially set it up, I setup a storage pool utilizing about 75% of my available space in storage pool 1, so I currently have 8.6TB of free space. I thought I could later utilize this free space to setup another storage pool if I wanted to use this extra space for something else, but when I try to create a new storage pool, it doesn't show any disks available. Should I have setup multiple storage pools from the beginning leaving one empty? I get the feeling that I now have 8.6TB of free space that I can't utilize for anything unless I remove everything and start over. Am I right? Since all these drives are currently being used with Qtier, did I screw myself when I didn't allocate all available space to a storage pool when I set everything up initially?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: 2 Storage Pools on NAS

Post by dolbyman »

Qtier could only be on SSDs..so unclear what exactly the setup is..

please explain again
rolldog

Post by rolldog »

I have 4 RAIDs setup, one using all 6 of my 10TB drives, where all my data is stored. I also have 2 2TB SATA SSDs setup in RAID1, 2 2TB M.2 SSDs setup in RAID1, and 2 2TB M.2 PCIe SSDs setup as my cache, so Qtier moves the data accessed most frequently to my SSDs, but my question wasn’t about Qtier, it was about storage pools. I have a storage pool setup using approximately 75% of my storage space with a couple of volumes, and I’ve been running my NAS like this for years. Now I wanted to setup another storage pool to use the available space on my drives, but it doesn’t allow me to do this. Should I have allocated all my drive space when I initially set everything up years ago or can I not set up another storage pool using my available drive space because I’m running Qtier? If this is the case, could I disable Qtier, let the NAS move all the data back to the 6 10TB drives, and then setup a new storage pool using my available 8TB of drive space?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You brought Qtier up(still no specified where Qtier is located SATA/M2?), if you want to disable Qtier you need free poolspace to destage it, so if you want to remove Qtier you need to make sure that there is enough unallocated space to do so.

A screenshot of your storage overview would probably be helpful
rolldog

Post by rolldog »

Screenshot 2021-07-26 155119.jpg
Well, I'll try. I'm running Windows 11 and have my display set running 4K HDR Rec.2020, and every time I take a screenshot, the colors are blown out. Being Windows 11, I'm not familiar with all the setting yet to output a snapshot using the correct color profile yet. It's a pretty basic question. If you setup a new NAS with 30 TB of space and only allocated 15TB to a storage pool, which included some volumes setup to use Qtier, could you add a 2nd storage pool down the road to utilize the additional 15TB of space?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the missing HDRtoSDR tone-mapping on the screenshot is less of a problem than the resolution scaling .. I can't read anything there

But you are looking at the wrong way around

A storage pool can span several RAID groups, but one RAID group cannot contain multiple storage pools
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... management
Flexible_Volume_1.png
You can have one Static Volume or Multiple Thin/Thick Volumes on that pool
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rolldog

Post by rolldog »

Okay, then that answers my question. As I mentioned, I have 4 RAID groups and all are used for Qtier and cache, so the only way I could create another storage pool would be to disable Qtier and setup a storage pool to use one of the other RAID configurations.

BTW, I didn't think about the resolution scaling as I always assume everyone else is running 4K HDR Windows, and Windows 11 tries to auto correct SDR to HDR color mapping but this doesn't work so well when I take a snapshot and Windows 11 saves it in a blown out SDR format. Windows adjusts the SDR content brightness to match the HDR brightness. You should see how bad it gets when using something like Teamviewer, which someone logs into my PC. Since I have a 55" 4K HDR OLED monitor, it doesn't come out well on the other end. :)

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”