Noisy TS-h886 PSU Fan

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
pokrakam
Know my way around

Noisy TS-h886 PSU Fan

Post by pokrakam »

On a new TS-h886, a fan is running full speed and quite loud - I can hear it downstairs in another room.

I went into the settings to change the CPU fan or the main system fan, but nothing worked. What I did notice by turning those two fans up however was that they made a different noise, and the noisy fan is a third fan that is not in the settings. On opening the box it became apparent that this is the power supply fan.

It really is that loud that one cannot be in the same room long term, it's a similar volume to the system fan running at full tilt - a bit like the initial whoosh when turning the system on.

I don't think this is this normal as QNAP NASes are generally fairly quiet. Could anyone please confirm how their system runs?
pokrakam
Know my way around

Re: Noisy TS-h886 PSU Fan

Post by pokrakam »

Just to add, I did a little experiment to demonstrate the noise level: I turned up the system and CPU fans to the point where they became louder than the PSU fan. The noise level was matched at around on 75% / 2000rpm on the CPU fan or the system fans on 60% / 3000rpm. The pitch is closer to the CPU fan noise.
I'm pretty sure this is not right.
pokrakam
Know my way around

Post by pokrakam »

Quick update: I raised a ticket with support who logged in and identified something was "abnormal" and I need to send it to be fixed. They were actually quite quick to respond and helpful.
jeff7117
New here

Post by jeff7117 »

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I have the exact same model and the power supply noise is awful. The sound level is supposed to be 20.4 db(A) but there's no way that's possible. I'm easily getting 50 db with the power supply fan running.
pokrakam
Know my way around

Post by pokrakam »

I've only sent it to the repair centre this week, not had it back yet. Suggest raising a ticket with QNAP, or you can wait until I get the unit back and I can post an update.
jeff7117
New here

Post by jeff7117 »

Thanks for the info. It looks like the power supply that is currently in use is different from the earlier models. I found this review prior to buying mine, and the power supply in those photos does not look like the one in my NAS. I suspect they switched designs and these newer models are worse for acoustics. If it weren't brand new, I would just replace the fan in the NAS with a similar Noctua. I have opened a support ticket and will post back when I get feedback from them.
Lexizilla
New here

Post by Lexizilla »

Hey,
i had exactly the same issue. My new 886 NAS is 1,5 week old and the PSU fan is much to loud. Specialy when I compare it to my TS672N.
If I compare the two NAS, the 672 is much quieter then the 886. Taking a look on the technical datasheed of both Devices, the 886 should be at 20,1db, the 672N by round abour 24db.
I created a ticket as well and for now the support reacting with stupid questions and it seems like, that they don´t understand the problem. They will get the Device back, if there is no solution or replacment or something else.
rgarjr
Know my way around

Post by rgarjr »

Those models have SFX form factor PSU's. You can always ditch the stock psu and go aftermarket, like the Corsair SF600 which don't spin the fan unless you're really using power.

Here's my TS-677 sporting the SF600 Platinum PSU
IMG_3923.jpg
IMG_3921.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rgarjr on Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

[TS-1677x] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Corsair SF600 - [TS-1277] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM - [TS-877] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM - [TS-677] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Corsair SF600 - [TVS-472xt] - i7-8700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Enhance Electronics 600W ENP-7660B - [TVS-871u-rp] - i7-4790K, 32GB RAM
jeff7117
New here

Post by jeff7117 »

I would be fine with updating to a quieter power supply, however I don't know if there are standard connectors that would translate over to the proprietary connections. These don't look like typical connections on the current power supply. Especially the extra 24 pin connector.
chrome_etYoy6qQul.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rgarjr
Know my way around

Post by rgarjr »

The 24-pin and 8-pin (CPU) connector is direct fit. For the 20-pin backplane connector you can buy an adapter https://www.ebay.com/itm/153042353341?_ ... BMxNS0w51f.

Of course if you have the tools, you can build your own.

[TS-1677x] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Corsair SF600 - [TS-1277] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM - [TS-877] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM - [TS-677] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Corsair SF600 - [TVS-472xt] - i7-8700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Enhance Electronics 600W ENP-7660B - [TVS-871u-rp] - i7-4790K, 32GB RAM
Lexizilla
New here

Post by Lexizilla »

that will be a solution.
BUT
i bought a silent device and the tech document and all reviews sad, it is silent, so then it should be by default without modding and maybe loosing warranty....
jeff7117
New here

Post by jeff7117 »

Unless they change the power supply vendor, or the fan in the power supply from the original vendor, I doubt there will be any steps they can take to resolve the noise. It does appear that the current power supply is not what was shipped out originally and that the noise generated from the fan is NOT considered quiet by most users.
pokrakam
Know my way around

Post by pokrakam »

Some feedback: QNAP sent me a new replacement unit. Unfortunately being sealed in it's original packaging it was untested and has exactly the same issue :-(

As before, if I crank up the CPU fan via settings it matches the PSU noise level at around 75% CPU fan.

If the power draw is low there should be little need for a full-throttle fan. With our usage pattern it should be running on SSD much of the time with occasional big loads that I'd be fine with if it kicks up a bit of noise every now and again.
SerfNoob
New here

Post by SerfNoob »

Looking forward to updates here.
I bought a TVS-672xt based on the specs and reviews saying it’s quiet. It’s certainly not, they have swapped the unit for a h686 that’s even louder though it’s spec’d even quieter.
They were supposed to send me a h886 but mistakes have been made…
pokrakam
Know my way around

Post by pokrakam »

Wow, I am quite taken aback by what appears to be a final answer from QNAP on the matter:
the unit is not malfunctioning and the loudness or db rating is a subjective measurement, this is a high powered file server and should really be in a server room not an office, there is nothing wrong with the NAS.

This was in response to politely pointing out that the system performs well outside their own spec, and with no HDDs in it is much, much louder than a fully loaded TS-879 even though the h886 has a lower noise rating on the spec sheet.

Not sure why they describe it as "Intel® Xeon® D desktop QuTS hero NAS" either. I wonder if we're meant to use Xeon-based iMacs and similar high powered workstations in a server room too?

As a long time user of QNAP NASes I'm more than a little disappointed, quality seems to have gone down the tube.

Return to “Miscellaneous”