Moving drives from old to new QNAP

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Delosari
Starting out

Moving drives from old to new QNAP

Post by Delosari »

Hello everyone. I wonder if anyone could correct me on the right procedure:

I have bought a TVS-872XT and I want to move the drives from my old TS-451.

I bought the 872 from qloudea and it came with a pair of nvm drives and with a standard software configuration. In my 451 (4 bays), I have two volumes in raid 1.

From the online posts and videos (https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... he-old-one). It undersant that if the NAS are compatible you can directly move the drives from one unit to another. This is the case for these drives.

I tried moving the drives with the volume where the OS (apps, virtualizations, download station files...) are NOT installed. However, even though the drives are recognized they do not appear as a volume and I cannot access the data. I did not try anything else in case the data is erased...

Do I need to move the four drives, along side the old OS configuration, for the data to be accesible? At this point should I just move the files?

Thanks for the explanations.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Moving drives from old to new QNAP

Post by dolbyman »

Why were not all drives moved?

Try that!
Delosari
Starting out

Post by Delosari »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:52 am Why were not all drives moved?

Try that!
I was testing the waters... My plan was installing the drives with only data first and then the ones with the OS...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no all disks need to be moved...

and as always when trying these things..full external backups are needed
Delosari
Starting out

Post by Delosari »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:14 am no all disks need to be moved...

and as always when trying these things..full external backups are needed
Thank you very much for your replies. Is there any issue if there are two sets of drives with a QTS OS (the one in the new nvm drives and the old one on the oldmigrated drives?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

yes .. you either migrate all disks over or you start from scratch..mixing while migrating is a recipe for disaster
Delosari
Starting out

Post by Delosari »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:58 pm yes .. you either migrate all disks over or you start from scratch..mixing while migrating is a recipe for disaster
Yeah I got the disaster. Moving all the drives was the wrong choice... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The drives appear to be fine in the new NAS but there isnt a volume from which I can see the data from the file station.

Moving the drives back to the old nas now it seems to have the configuration from the new NAS and I cannot access the files...

In the DISKS/VJBOD section they appear as purple: Free and ready for a new volume. However, I guess that if I create a volume it will definetly delete the data in the drives. Is there a way to access the data for example from the qnap terminal or contecting the drives with an adapter to a computer??
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

at this point, open a ticket with qnap and keep your fingers crossed

internal disks cannot be read willy nilly in any given machine..there is raid and lvm layers involved..the forum search will give some pointers ..but your linux skills should be rudimentary

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”