Are Qnap designers insane ?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Esperado
New here

Are Qnap designers insane ?

Post by Esperado »

HI, folks,
A friend of mine just gave-me an old TS212. Took 3 days to set-it up with 1 HD of 4To and one of 1To !!! >30 hours with the only advice "initializing" (That means nothing) before I stopped-it to try something else.

At the end and after awful fights, near everything looks ok. But the NAS takes 8mn 20s to start and 6mn 45s to stop. Is this serious in the 21eme century ?
Now the only thing that remain is a warning that says "unable to get virus definition". Please, any solution ? Thanks in advance.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Are Qnap designers insane ?

Post by dolbyman »

The antivirus issue is discussed in the forum..do a search

Ultimately..running an antivirus on a NAS box has a touch of insanity by itself (why?)
Esperado
New here

Post by Esperado »

Thanks both of you.
Yes, I have no problem to access Internet from the NAS, it seems the antivirus issue is due to ClamAv blocking virus definitions on older apps, and QNAP not updating the firmware to a running more recent antivir app. I do not understand why, as the latest firmware I have seems to date from 24/06/2021.
Indeed, I agree I do not need any antivirus here: I'll stop the service.
Remains for me to understand what this NAS is doing during the 8mn20 it takes to start ?
pokrakam
Know my way around

Post by pokrakam »

As tiktakman already indicated, this is an entry-level box from 10 years ago, see https://www.qnap.com/en-in/product/ts-2 ... s/hardware
QTS has advanced since then, 256MB of memory may be a little tight, and I'm guessing you may have a couple of services running. It's also very unlikely to serve up the full 1GB ethernet capacity.

If you really want to know the gory details, go to the Help Center app, then Helpdesk > Diagnostics > Download logs. Unzip into a folder and open with browser.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Esperado wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:11 am I do not understand why, as the latest firmware I have seems to date from 24/06/2021.
Since TS-212 is old, Qnap stopped development of the firmware QTS for it in 2017-12 with support and security updates ending in 2020-12. Due to the fact that some users are crazy enough to still expose old and unsupported products on the Internet, Qnap decided to release security updates even after the cut-off period to close some particularly nasty security issues. Feature-wise QTS for your model froze in time by the end of 2017 though so things depending on outside services may stop working at any time.
Remains for me to understand what this NAS is doing during the 8mn20 it takes to start ?
Qnaps are notoriously slow to boot, it's a fact and that's one of the reasons why we keep them running 24/7. Also TS-212 was the slowest and cheapest entry-level model already back then, a decade ago. What was slow 10 years ago may feel even slower today...
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”