Storage Pool at 80% threshold when not even half is used

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
edwardbally
New here

Storage Pool at 80% threshold when not even half is used

Post by edwardbally »

Hello,
I am very new to the Qnap environment and the NAS setup.
I am a video editor and recently acquired the TVS-H1288x with 8 Ironwolf 14TB hard drives.
I don't understand what is going on with my pool storage. I should have around 73 TB of free hard drive space.
I created 4 shared folders which total about 40TB. Yet I get a warning that the storage pool is almost at capacity, 80% threshold.
I should have more free space to work with and when I create a new shared folder it only allows me to use 1TB...
I am very confused. Can anyone help? I might have setup things completely wrong I am a total newbie
I have attached a screenshot of my Storage pool and of my disks setup.
Let me know if you need any more information to help!

Thank you so much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Storage Pool at 80% threshold when not even half is used

Post by dolbyman »

The IP on the NAS shows that it cannot find a DHCP server (Zeroconfig) .. so something is already wrong in your basic Network configuration

you got roundabout 40TB in Thick volumes and snapshots on top, how much do those snapshots use up on the Pool ?
edwardbally
New here

Post by edwardbally »

Yes the NAS is not connected to my router but directly to my computer. MSnapy router is too far away. I basically am the only user for this NAS and want to use it as a massive storage unit for all my editing needs. I have purchased a WIFI card to connect it to the internet though. I don't know if this is a good idea or if I should somehow find a way to connect it to a router.

Snapshot reserved space is 3.68TB for the storage pool
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
edwardbally
New here

Post by edwardbally »

Here is the snapshot allocation page.

One thing I found very strange as well is that the whole system took only a few minutes to set up.
I had read that it should take many hours to setup a RAID 6 NAS...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

There is snapshot guaranteed space but also snapshot used space (check the storage pool management for an overview)

If you really want to connect your NAS via wifi, use a wifi bridge .. nothing to setup on the NAS (wifi stuff is always finicky on QNAP and breaks after updates)
edwardbally
New here

Post by edwardbally »

Well Storage Pool management says 3.6TB as well
edwardbally
New here

Post by edwardbally »

When I create a bridge between my ethernet and wifi it disconnects my NAS even though it is said that it is connected and enabled.
Sorry I am very new to all of this!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

maybe QuTS does show it differently , but besides guaranteed snapshot space, I can see the actual used snapshot space space

(screenshot from my TS-853BU)
pool_mgmt.JPG
edwardbally
New here

Post by edwardbally »

OK so I had a look at all the snapshots, and it appears that each of the snapshots for each folder is about 1.3TB. So 3 snapshots per folder, and I have 4 folders that use snapshots, that might be where the 20 missing TB are...
Why do snapshots take so much when I only asked to allocate 5% of the available space...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Those 5% is just the guaranteed space, snapshots are allowed to grow larger than this (if setup that way)
edwardbally
New here

Post by edwardbally »

OK thank you so I found my answer, the space allocated for each folder to the snapshots was way too high. I don't why I set that up like that but now I deleted the snapshots and reconfigured the guaranteed snapshot space to 0.
I don't know if I really need snapshots though!
Thanks for your help!

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”