On boot, solid red HDD light(no inserted HDD) w/ No status light.

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: On boot, solid red HDD light(no inserted HDD) w/ No status light.

Post by dolbyman »

open it up and look for the header ... no hardware changes that were reported
yquzac
New here

Post by yquzac »

Hi have ts251+ with no hdmi no beep just blue usb 2 hdd red can anyone help ? I have 100 omh resistor to hand not sure want pins I need to solder them too thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

yquzac
New here

Post by yquzac »

Thanks just done that still the same , could thi be a firmware issue then?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

firmware wouldnt come into play at that stage

change the resistor value or look into a new nas (beyond repair)
yquzac
New here

Post by yquzac »

Oh poo 💩
yquzac
New here

Post by yquzac »

Could a faulty fan stop it from booting ? Like if it was showing 0rpm
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no..but the LPC issue manifests in a 0RPM readout, as the super I/O chip is on the lpc bus
yquzac
New here

Post by yquzac »

Pin 1 measuring 1.8v pin 8 is ground
kingofthemods1986
New here

Post by kingofthemods1986 »

So it looks like the box is a dud unless one is able to solder. I have a QNap ts-251. I am considering purchasing the TS-230 as a replacement but before I do I just wanted to check if I can just take the risk from my 251 and use it in the 230. Will that work?

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

nope wrong architecture (x86 to ARM)

https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration?o ... ion=ts-230
icecreme98
First post

Post by icecreme98 »

kingofthemods1986 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:30 am So it looks like the box is a dud unless one is able to solder. I have a QNap ts-251. I am considering purchasing the TS-230 as a replacement but before I do I just wanted to check if I can just take the risk from my 251 and use it in the 230. Will that work?

Thanks
No need to solder, just use jumper wires:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GD ... =UTF8&th=1

100 ohm resistors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0185 ... UTF8&psc=1

I just tried this on my TS451+ and allowed me to boot the device. I did have to drill 2 holes in the aluminum support so that there was room for the jumper wires to stick up when connected to the pins on the motherboard.
TerryJHarris
First post

Post by TerryJHarris »

Hi,
Just recovered a 4 year old TS251+ that reported a fan failure on Monday, and after some digging, found it had suffered the same fate as many other QNAPs (apparently bad Intel silicon).

Bought a cheap resistor kit on Amazon (in case I needed a lower value than 100ohm) and a few 5+5 header sockets with right-angle pins. Trimmed off the pins I didn't need and soldered onto 1 and 8 (my LCK connector did not have pin 10).

The right angle leads meant that there was good clearance to the hard drive casing. Powered up and the status LEDs immediately changed. A few secs later the LED started flashing on the (boot board?). All back together and drives cleaned. Fresh backup, but now living on borrowed time!

Thinking of buying a ASUSTOR. Comes with 4 camera licences as standard, not this new monthly licence from QNAP. Anyone have a feeling on that brand?

I don't know who the genius is that found this problem, but I buy you a drink if I knew/where you were. There are some very clever people out there!

Thanks again!
Terry.
beej1
New here

Post by beej1 »

Hi,

Please welcome me to your 'QNAP failed NAS' party :(

I have a TS-351 and I assume the same 100-ohm fix will work for me also. I am looking for clarification on which pin numbers to use. I read #1 and 8, #1 and 9, #1 and 10. Does it matter? If I use the wrong ones, will permanently brick my NAS?

Thanks in advance. Y'all are great!

B
Speez
Starting out

Post by Speez »

Also had the red lights, no beep. Think I solved half of it with the resistor but need some help with the data recovery possibly.

Jumpered pins 1 and 10 with a 100ohm resistor, fired up the NAS and lights are gone and I get the beep. Direct connected to my laptop and I can see the NAS on qfinder. Connect the NAS to my router and I can also see it in qfinder.

When following the link in qfinder to open the web interface, it brings me to the original setup screen (no drives installed) and wants me to install the drive(s) (ts251, raid1 mirroring 4tb red pros) and format them. Since my data is still on the drives (think they are still good), I don't want to reinsert them and reformat.

However, if I plug the drives in with the NAS off (drive 1, drive 2, or both) then qfinder still locates the NAS but following the IP address link to open the browser does not bring the QTS login screen but rather gives a "page not found" error. As long as the device boots with the drives in, it seems the web interface is dead.

I plugged the drives into my laptop with a SATA dock and they appear to still be good, so what's the best way to go about recovering this data? The majority is backed up to idrive, but I have a new Synology ds220+ coming

I would like to just get the Ts251 back up running as it was before (I wouldn't have thought just jumpering the pins would kill the web interface with the drives ?) Long enough to copy a drive over to a spare 4tb external drive, then pull one drive and format it in the Synology and once that is copied over, start the raid1 array and put the other qnap drive in the Synology box.

Barring that, what would be the best way to clone one of the mirrored qnap drives to an external drive for a backup while I migrate over to the Synology? Or did I blow a step after putting in the resistor in for getting the machine back ? I don't care about long term reliability at this point, just getting the data off and over to the new box.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”