TVS-872XT - HDD and M.2 NVME

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
abassermann
New here

TVS-872XT - HDD and M.2 NVME

Post by abassermann »

Hi all,

I have to say that I am not an expert and new to NAS but I managed to buy a TVS-872XT and 8x EXOS x18 18TB drives (from which 7 are working and 1 is faulty).
At this moment I have 7 HDD installed in RAID6. Once I receive the 8th I will add it.

I also got today a M.2 NVME SSD 2TB.

My questions are: Can I simply add it to the NAS with I have the 7xHDD in raid 6 already installed and working? I don't want to use CACHE but I would like that all apps and maybe (plex) will run from the M.2 SSD. Also if I upload something that this goes to the SSD and from SSD transferred to HDD (during the night or so that I am not affected by the waiting time). Not sure if this is possible.
Also if I install the M.2 now while I have everything running acting as a single. To understand where I am coming from: On my windows pc for the last 10 years I had a SSD with OS + apps (as volume C) and another HDD as volume D to store images, movies, etc so I would like to reflect this (if it's a good idea) on the new NAS.

ANy advice is appreciated.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TVS-872XT - HDD and M.2 NVME

Post by dolbyman »

You should have started the NAS with the SSDs (always use 2 in raid1)..that way it would be the system volume

so buy another one...kill the nas and start with these as system disks
abassermann
New here

Post by abassermann »

Thanks Dolbyman!

I installed now 2 m.2 nvme ssd in Raid1 (while all HDDs were removed )
I am installing the needed apps now. Once this is done:
1. Can I add the HDD and set them up as Raid 6? (would it be Pool storage?)
2. if the m.2 will have all the apps and the HDDs just data -> If i upload videos for example and I have the/a storage folder pointing at the RAID6 HDD, will this make use of the ssd to download/upload (so it's done faster) or will it go and make use of the HDD (directly). Or should I point on a folder on the SSD and than maybe through some housekeeping or manual transfer from SSD to HDD?

Thanks in advance.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1. you can setup a storage pool or static volume..up to you
2. all transfers will go to the media, the shares are on .. hdd to hdd and ssd to ssd

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”