QNAP TVS-871 No longer access to Plex server - connection not secure and cert not valid

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
supanoob
New here

QNAP TVS-871 No longer access to Plex server - connection not secure and cert not valid

Post by supanoob »

So I've been using the same setup for years now with zero issues. Today I woke up and I am no longer able to access the plex server running on my QNAP TVS-871. When I try to log in from the NAS it gives me a "site cannot be reached" error like ports havent been forwarded or something, but they are correctly set up on the router. I also noticed the connection to the NAS is just http now, as opposed to https. I tried turning the "force secure connection" option on and off but nothing changes. I can still access the NAS from the windows file explorer. I tried reinstalling Plex and resetting the router. I figured it might be some weird windows update, but this happens on multiple devices, including iOS ones, both on and off the local networks. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP TVS-871 No longer access to Plex server - connection not secure and cert not valid

Post by dolbyman »

Plex brings its own certs...QNAP access ports should never be WAN forwarded...

So where do you have a cert issue?
supanoob
New here

Re: QNAP TVS-871 No longer access to Plex server - connection not secure and cert not valid

Post by supanoob »

When I log on the NAS from any web browser.. As in connect to 10.0.0.16 in my case. It now says connection is not secure, and when I click the error message it says certificate not valid. I dont even know if this is related to not being able to log on the plex server though. After I get on the NAS, I try to launch the plex application and it just says:

This site can’t be reached
10.0.0.16 took too long to respond.

Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

But the plex application is "running" on the NAS. And the correct ports are open for plex on the router. (Been using the same setup for literally 6 years, just stopped working yesterday.)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

ip adresses should not be able to have a valid cert (as they are not unique..certainly not private ones) you can only get a cert for a fqdn

have you tried to stop and start plex?
supanoob
New here

Post by supanoob »

Yeah, tried a reinstall too.. No joy. :|
ImC0ld
New here

Post by ImC0ld »

Reboot the NAS.
If not turn off the NAS then turn on.

Had similar problems with latest version of Plex.
supanoob
New here

Post by supanoob »

I reinstalled plex, rebooted server.. updated to new firmware that came out yesterday. Nothing helped until I reset the NAS server settings. After that I seem to be once again able to access the plex server. Connection to NAS server is still "not secure" tho, duno what's up with that either..
Friendly Fire
New here

Post by Friendly Fire »

Same issue with Plex on my TS-451A, except that the factory reset that was supposed to NOT delete my data, DID delete my data. Luckily it was nothing crucial, just rips of DVDs and Blu rays.
Friendly Fire
New here

Post by Friendly Fire »

Friendly Fire wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:08 am Same issue with Plex on my TS-451A, except that the factory reset that was supposed to NOT delete my data, DID delete my data. Luckily it was nothing crucial, just rips of DVDs and Blu rays.
Upon rebooting this morning, all my data is back. Saved me a ton of ripping! :DD
ozstar
Easy as a breeze

Post by ozstar »

I had a similar problem and tried many thigs but nothing worked until I rebooted the NAS. It took a while for all the apps to close but when it booted my Plex was all normal again.
QNAP TS-231P 2 x 4TB Group 1 RAID 1
QNAP TS-451A 3 x 2 TB Group 1 RAID 5

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”