How to move default shared folders to another storage pool.

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
whazup
Starting out

How to move default shared folders to another storage pool.

Post by whazup »

I'm setting up a new TVS-872XT with QuTS h4.5.4.1813. Storage pools are as follows:
• Pool 1 (system): 2x NVMe in RAID 1 (1TB initial, 872 GB available after setup)
• Pool 2: 8x HDD in RAID 6

The initial install created the /Public and /homes folders in pool 1. I like the concept of the /homes folder but I did not want to take up NVMe space, so I used the [Users...Home] button to move /homes to pool 2. /Public remained in pool 1.

After reading the manual, I read where two other default shared folders should be present: /Download and /Multimedia. These were not present and clicking [Shared Folders...Others...Restore Default Shared Folders] had no result. I've since found that launching Multimedia Station and toggling "enabled" created these folders. However, both shares were created in pool 1 and I have way too much media to be stored there.

How can I move /Download and /Multimedia to pool 2 (HDD) in such a way that Download Station and Multimedia Station recognize the new location/pool?

Thanks.
TVS-872XT-i5-16G:
2x 1TB NVMe ZFS/RAID-1 (Samsung 970 EVO Plus MZ-V7S1T0B/AM)
8x 4TB HDD ZFS/RAID-6 (Seagate IronWolf Pro ST4000NE001)
manfredell
Know my way around

Re: How to move default shared folders to another storage pool.

Post by manfredell »

I have exactly the same situation here and have searched Google without result.....
TVS-h1288X, TBS-464, TVS-1282T3, TVS-872XT
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

The folders should be empty and if you don't plan on using them they should remain empty so they are not taking up any space where they are.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
manfredell
Know my way around

Post by manfredell »

Don wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:25 am The folders should be empty and if you don't plan on using them they should remain empty so they are not taking up any space where they are.
I want to use them obviously BUT I want them to take space on a volume with enough storage not the default smaller (SSD) system one....
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I don't have access to my NAS at the moment so I can't see how to move them. You don't have to use the default folders for your media. I have TBs of media in folders that are not the QNAP provided ones. I put them where I wanted and I don't have to worry about QNAP doing something to them because they are not in the default folders.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
manfredell
Know my way around

Post by manfredell »

Don wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:45 am I don't have access to my NAS at the moment so I can't see how to move them. You don't have to use the default folders for your media. I have TBs of media in folders that are not the QNAP provided ones. I put them where I wanted and I don't have to worry about QNAP doing something to them because they are not in the default folders.
True and this is what I resorted to in the absence of being able to move shares...

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”