storage pool

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
P3R
Guru

Re: storage pool

Post by P3R »

Don't overprovison. It will only get you in trouble. You can't increase the storage pool without increasing the storage.

You have 201.93 GB of snapshots in the pool so I'm guessing that snapshots are enabled. Disable snapshots and the remove the snapshots you already have there. Without the snapshots the pool should only be 75% full.

Instead of disabling the threshold you could have changed it to 90% or so for the warning to go away.

Also on the screenshot you had a warning that the RAID 1 was still synchronizing for 4 more minutes. I hope that have finished as well now.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

i've set overprovision at 5 per cent, get back to 10 per cent? i had already increased volume to 1400 gb but alert was always there. i disabled snapshots and deleted the one was taken. should i set thrshold to 90 per cent?

when i get home i take a new screenshot of my settings, if you could tell me everything is ok would be great. these new qnaps are not easy, i remember everything was easier one time:-)
nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

set 90 per cent pf threshold, but i can't change overprovision, it is 8 per cent, if i write 10 per cent it says not valid
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

I'm sorry about the overprovision comment, forget that. I was thinking about thin volume overprovisioning, it's not at all relevant for the storage pool which I incorrectly said.

The SSD overprovision is what you choose when you configured it. If you think the available capacity is enough, then it is enough and there's no need to touch it.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

ok thanks for your help, veru useful. now everything is going fine. i made a backup with hbs3, will the next one backup only the new files?
i notice there are strange files (it doesn't copy the qnap folders - multimedia etc)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

nervoteso wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:24 am ok thanks for your help, veru useful. now everything is going fine. i made a backup with hbs3, will the next one backup only the new files?
Yes that's the way HBS3 always work.

If however you tick the Check file contents policy option for the backup job, it will do a complete comparison between source and destination files leading to very long backup times that will give the impression that everything is backed up again.
i notice there are strange files (it doesn't copy the qnap folders - multimedia etc)
I'm sorry but I have no idea what strange files you talk about. Also HBS3 will only back up the shared folders that you configure it to back up and if you tell it to back up the Multimedia shared folder, then it should do that.

nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

it made a backup folder but there there is not the multimedia folder and files, however in that backup folder says there are 600 gb of stuff. there is a folder called dedup and an other called filedesc. no track of the multimedia folder and files
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

You have QuDedup enabled. You need to disable the QuDedup option in the job if you want plain files in a plain file system.

Edit the backup job, go to Rules, Methods and untick the Use QuDedup option.

As a general recommendation I think you will save yourself a lot of problems if you try to understand the options and choose the correct one when configuring stuff instead of just rushing into things and then try to solve the problems. If there are options that you don't understand, then try ask about them.

nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

yes you're right, many thanks. i'm trying to back up again
nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

the next back up for copying only yhe new files should i make a new processo o link to the old one?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

You run the same job again and it will update the backup with any new or changed files. There's an option called Remove additional files in destination folder that control if files deleted from the source should be deleted from the backup as well.

nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

set no pianification biut i don0t know why it is starting to vefify integrity,, it takes a long time…
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

I'm sorry but I've spent more time in your thread than I normally do on 10 other people together that ask for assistance. Your last message is only partially understandable so it look like you're not even trying. I'm running out of patience here.

You're asking for very specific answers but you never explain in detail what you're doing and I don't get any impression that you're really trying to learn anything from this but only that you want your own free hand-holding advisor.

How about you telling us some basic details about what that unknown job do? Where's the source and where exactly is the destination? What amount of files and data volumes are we talking about? What execution times is it that you're complaining about?

From my end our communication is very close to coming to an end and unless you start to put in an effort, this will be our last contact.

nervoteso
Know my way around

Post by nervoteso »

ok back up has finally over succesfully. thanks

it took a long of time cos it started verifing integrity files (600 gb of files from nas to external hhd), altought verifying files was not set in the settings. maybe i've started for a mistake.
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

i was wondering if i could get some info on what QuDedup actually is, how it works ?
recently created 2 backup jobs on different mounted external drives. the first one is setup without Qudedup. i haven't started the other job yet, before i do i want to be sure that qudedup is something that is useful to have or not.
current hbs3 job 1 is essentially a verbatim copy of my share folders.
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”