Advice to choose PCIe expansion card for TS-653D

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
DrFresh68
New here

Advice to choose PCIe expansion card for TS-653D

Post by DrFresh68 »

This is my first post - I have searched but not found an answer.

I've bought the TS-653D and populated it with 6 14 TB disks in RAID 5. Now I want to install a PCIe expansion card and add two 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD's in RAID 1 for system, apps and maybe some VM's. The RAID5 pool should be for storage only.

I see from the specs that the TS-653D supports PCIe gen 2 x2. So are there any reason for buying any other (i.e. later gen PCIe) than the QM2-2S-220A Card? This is somewhat cheaper than later generations - and I'd rather spend on the SSD's.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
P3R
Guru

Re: Advice to choose PCIe expansion card for TS-653D

Post by P3R »

DrFresh68 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:09 pm So are there any reason for buying any other (i.e. later gen PCIe) than the QM2-2S-220A Card?
It only support SATA M.2s, not the NVMe M.2s that you asked about.

I'm not sure if you're allowed to create a system volume on an expansion card? I would check that before pulling the trigger.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
DrFresh68
New here

Post by DrFresh68 »

Ahh yes, I didn't see that. Which card should I go for then? The QM2-2P-244A?

Well I was inspired by (amongst other reads) this thread (although the user gave up on his experiment): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=158052&p=771486&hi ... sd#p771486. AND just to be clear: I'm not looking for SSD caching, ONLY a SSD system/data volume.

Can anyone verify that it is possible to build a system/data volume on the SSD pool installed on the PCIe exp.? I'm willing to start all over (resetting the system and reinstalling everything; I'm still just experimenting).
lousyfool
Getting the hang of things

Post by lousyfool »

DrFresh68 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:54 pmCan anyone verify that it is possible to build a system/data volume on the SSD pool installed on the PCIe exp.?
Yes, I'm doing exactly that on a TS-253D: using a QM2-2P-244A with SSD as its own storage pool for system and apps, and the spinning disks for data only. Of course, there's no reason why you couldn't have a data volume on the PCIe SSD as well.
PatsFan
New here

Post by PatsFan »

I'm following this thread as I am on a similar mission, this is also my first post on the forum.

A) I have repurposed a TS-653A to only host QVR Pro and store video files. It has 4x6TB (Raid 5) and 2x10TB (Raid 1)
B) I purchased a new TVS-872XT to replace the 653A as a local backup host and run some container apps (CumulusMX weather station). It currently has 4x14TB (Raid 5) and 2x1TB 2.5" SSD (System Volume).

Since installation I have added two M.2 1TB SSD's to the 872XT. I would like to use them as the system volume and pull the 2.5" format SSDs to give me 4 open slots for another Raid 5 array.

Larry
DrFresh68
New here

Post by DrFresh68 »

DrFresh68 wrote: ↑Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:54 am
Can anyone verify that it is possible to build a system/data volume on the SSD pool installed on the PCIe exp.?
Yes, I'm doing exactly that on a TS-253D: using a QM2-2P-244A with SSD as its own storage pool for system and apps, and the spinning disks for data only. Of course, there's no reason why you couldn't have a data volume on the PCIe SSD as well.
Thanks! I'll do the purchasing and try it out. I'll post a followup here when done if anyone should be interested.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

this is the latest youtube video on their expansion card

QM2-2P410GxT Series: Dual-Port QM2 PCIe Cards with M.2 2280 NVMe SSD Slots & 10GbE Ports for NAS/PC
https://youtu.be/ivMFRQV9YU0

they tell you whats new.

theres also another series that is strictly just add ethernet port, minus any sort of m.2 ssd support.

you can find the expansion cards listed here
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/series/interface-cards

note that the new ones have the "new" label, so you probably want to get those.

If you are not sure if your model supports, go to the product page for your qnap nas model, and there is a compatibility button, click that and select expansion card interface device. then it will list which expansion addon cards your model supports.

this is an example of how to install the expansion card. it's not particularly hard, you just need a screw driver
https://youtu.be/dCOkjLo6lN8

Can anyone verify that it is possible to build a system/data volume on the SSD pool installed on the PCIe exp.? I'm willing to start all over (resetting the system and reinstalling everything; I'm still just experimenting).
yes i think it will, but thats not a guarantee by me. if you are worried, try sending a helpdesk support ticket or better yet to sales, and ask there first. but i honestly think it will work to install qts and apps on the m.2 ssd on that addon card.

If i am not mistaken, the issue was, if you attempted to use a NON QNAP sanctioned pcie addon card, it's that which will not work when trying to install qts onto it and expect the system to boot. I could be wrong, but if i recall correctly, that was what was mentioned last time on that subject :'

i do have a x53D, but i don't have a spare addon card to test this for you, sorry :(
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”