TS-431 questions

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
desksitter
New here

TS-431 questions

Post by desksitter »

Hello to all :)

I`m sort of newbie to Qnaps and have 2 questions, if anyone can help with:

1) Is it ok when I remove all drives from NAS, and start it again: it resets and gives me to configure it from scratch (after I insert at least 1 drive) ?

2) I can not erase the drive in 4th bay... what ever drive I insert I have error:

Severity Level Date Time Users Source IP Application Category Content
Warning 2020/09/06 17:00:55 System 127.0.0.1 --- --- [Secure Erase] The last disk (Disk 4) of system RAID can not be erased.

Other 3 bays erase OK.... and all drives in every of 4 bays work ok and create volumes...raids... etc

Thanks in advance for help :D
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-431 questions

Post by dolbyman »

just erase all drive in an external device and start from scratch .. if that is what you would like to do
desksitter
New here

Post by desksitter »

I did.... Just wanted to figure out if those are bugs or normal behaviour :D
Dynamac
New here

Post by Dynamac »

I believe the reason is (at least in RAID with redundancies) the data for the operating system is stored in at least 1 disk. So the last disk in the RAID cannot be erased, even if all the volumes and pools have been removed. What I did is rebuild a RAID 1 volume with another disk that has been erased so the operating system data is now on the other disk, and then proceed to erase this final disk. However synchronisation of the volume took a long time (with what should have been no data), so my concern was that 'deleted' data on the disk that hadn't been secure erased was copied back to the erased disk. So I had to go secure erase that disk again using an external enclosure. Maybe it didn't recopy the data, but I didn't want to take that risk.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

why post 'wisdom' in 2 year old threads?

marked for closure due to necroposting

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”