How make ST231P visible to Smart TV?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How make ST231P visible to Smart TV?

Post by dolbyman »

I am a native German speaker (born in Duesseldorf) and both Netzlaufwerk(Netdrive) and Netzordner(Netfolder) are translating to "Share" in English

With NAS units, you can ONLY mount shares , so having an option to mount a NAS, would make no sense. Unless with "Netzlaufwerk" they mean a block option (ISCSI), but I don't see that mentioned in the manual
Steinspecht
Starting out

Post by Steinspecht »

@dolbyman Düsseldorf? What a small world. Been there. Living south of Munich, close to Starnberg...
on the terminology: Laufwerk is definitely a drive, and Ordner a folder. My TV has no option to really mount anything but a folder share. If the drive is not recognized, there's nothing to mount, I don't even get to that option, it stops dead.

Q: on the QNAP the work group name is stored someplace, as I could see, and it is "WORKGROUP". The Technisat suppport stressed that the NAS and the TV must be in the same group and the same IP range. The latter is given, but on the former I'm not sure if the QNAP is "serious" about the work group name - incidentally "WORKGROUP", in caps, on the TV. Know anything about this?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

for the workgroup name check:

control panel / network file services/ Microsoft Networking
Steinspecht
Starting out

Post by Steinspecht »

yeah, it is the same "WORKGROUP". Just changed it in both palces to CASAMIA, no effect. Then changed it back, no effect. Bloody hell.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

did you play with the advanced options ? .. high or low SMB version , discovery helpers . etc ?
Steinspecht
Starting out

Post by Steinspecht »

I did with some, but I'm running out of ideas. SMB set to 1 to 3, I'll look into discovery, there's only UPNB, also on the TV, deactivated and activated on both devices to no avail. Bonjour is not on the TV.

I'm restarting the NAS now....
Last edited by Steinspecht on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I was talking about WS-Discovery in advanced options on SMB options, where the SMB options are in too
Steinspecht
Starting out

Post by Steinspecht »

It says:
"Enable WS-Discovery
Select this option to enable Web Services Dynamic Discovery (WS-Discovery). WS-Discovery makes the NAS visible in File Explorer on Windows 10 computers."

It is visible for the PC.

It was checked anyway.

Logging off now, thanks for your help attempts!!
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Closed due to necroposting.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”