After latest Firmware-Update no login possible

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
hanashra
New here

After latest Firmware-Update no login possible

Post by hanashra »

Hello altogether,

I am reaching out to you as I do not know, what to do. I installed the latest firmware, which, as always, ran just fine. After the obligatroy reboot, it fired up and I logged on again. I already wondered, what had happened to my NAS as any qpkg I have had installed seemed to be gone. But also apart from the users even my network settings were gone. I could not enter any network settings as I had to install the virtual network switch from scratch first. All very strange, but my data was still fully available and as such, I wasn´t too concerned.
I had to leave it like that for a while as I didn´t have the time to deal with it. When I wanted to fix it now over this weekend, I experienced some strange behaviour. Firstly, the 2FA did no longer work as the time of my NAS seemed to be out of sync. Alternative log on did not work due to missing eMail settings apparently. I shut down the NAS and rebooted it then. Now the logon screen has a different style and none of my username and password combinations work anymore. I cannot access it via SSH (it says connection refused) and in the display it even reads "Pool error" now.
I tried to reset the admin password with the reset button on the back, but it still does not let me log on, but I might make a mistake here as it says "standard wassword is the first MAC adress of the NAS", but I do not really know, how to figure that out. The one from QFinder does not work.
Do you have any idea, what I could do to recover my NAS?

It is a TS-653A with 5.0.0.2055

Thx a lot
hanashra
New here

Re: After latest Firmware-Update no login possible

Post by hanashra »

Update: Qfinder Pro allowed me to activate SSH again using the standard credentials: admin and the MAC-Adress, which is displayed in Qfinder. I can now use Putty to connect. Sadfully, it refuses my password. So which Password would I need now? very strange.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
hanashra
New here

Post by hanashra »

Hi, yes, I have tried that. Something seems to be corrupt.
I need to boot the NAS without drives. Only then it will accept SSH and logon with the Password. I can even change it then.
After the next reboot (with drives), same issue again.
I also tried downgrading to a prior firmware without success.
It does not accept any password at all in case I boot it with drives.
Can anyone give me a hint what else I could try?
It surely is a software issue.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Are you sure you performed the 3s or 10s reset correctly with the drives installed?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
hanashra
New here

Post by hanashra »

Yes, no doubt. The MAC-Password works. But only if I apply the steps, described here: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... t-can-i-do
Having said that, it only ever works once. So, doing that will open SSH-access for me but I do not get any further. Now I would need an idea, what I could do to regain access to my QTS.
Note: the normal login screen of my QTS ist a simple all blue design which I have never seen before. Regardless of what I enter, it would only ever just start over again. No feedback as in “password incorrect”.

It looks like this:
C5ABEA2F-1511-4B0D-AB19-7142F07EA14E.jpeg
But the recommendation did not work with my NAS. Maybe it is because of the Pool Error, which I encounter at the same time?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Which firmware was used before updating to 2055?
Did you consider to roll back to the previous firmware version (Qfinder)?

Anyhow:
hanashra wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:30 pm ...All very strange, but my data was still fully available and as such, I wasn´t too concerned....
I hope an external backup of data is available?
If so, an installation from scratch with 5.0.0.2055 is another option.
If not: backup right NOW!

Regards
hanashra
New here

Post by hanashra »

Hello again, I have downgraded already to the last (stable) Version prior 2055 without any change. Through Qfinder and with the standard password (=MAC Address) I can do almost anything. So upgrading, downgrading, etc. ist no issue.
I am also considering an installation from scratch. Data is not the issue here, but I would like to resolve that problem rather than spending days, if not weeks, to start from a clean install again, if you understand .)

I wonder, why the QTS is not able to log on…..
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Dump idea: browser cache cleared? Different browser used?
IMHO your are much quicker to start from scratch than digging into QTS pits.

Is QNAP support already involved?

Regards
hanashra
New here

Post by hanashra »

Good point, I will recheck. I tried it from three different devices (iOS, MacOS and Windows) just to be sure, but in all honesty, I cannot remember, whether I rechecked the browser cache. QNAP-support is involved and is currently referring to all these support articles, which haven’t revolved it yet.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

With 3 different devices/platforms its most likely not the cache...

Regards
skaox
New here

Post by skaox »

Hi,

I had a similar problem once on a TS-453 pro which started with a boot problem and an error on the volume (red light).

Shut down, eject of the 4 HDDs, put them back in and start again. It took a very long time to boot I guess because there was a filesystem check and repair but no more errors.

Boot up finish there was a different background on the the login screen and it wasn't possible to login with the users used before so reset button for resetting admin password.

After login with admin surprise in Control Panel > Users only the admin account left !

I don't remember about the Apps but Data was still there and the homes of old users too.

All HDDs was in good health, no bad sectors or something to report since no problem.

If you don't want to clear the cache of your browser you can also install and use another one (firefox, chrome, opera, ...).

Since Windows 10 no need to use putty just open a cmd or powershell and you should have ssh.
Last edited by skaox on Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
hanashra
New here

Post by hanashra »

Hey, yep, reads somewhat similar. Only that you could logon with the admin credentials. I haven’t had any success so far. I will try the reset-procedure another time, but I have to go on a business trip the next days and it will take till the weekend, before I can try it once again.
hanashra
New here

Post by hanashra »

Hi all, I have an update. I managed to get it back up and running. I was almost about to make a clean start but then I tried it once again in the following way: Re-Install latest firmware, Apply 10-second Reset, Restart
And it worked. The console came up as normal and I was able to logon. All data ist still there but no App was installed. So now, after a couple of hours configuring and installing apps, it seems all back up and running. Thx for the support guys
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

QNAP! Its not a bug, its a feature... :' :lol:

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”