How to connect to the Internet/WiFi

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
TheAnji
Starting out

How to connect to the Internet/WiFi

Post by TheAnji »

I am setting up my TVS-872xt.
I have lot of errors and warnings all stating that my device is not connected to the Internet. so lot of apps and firmwares not downloaded.

Question: How to connect this device to Internet through WiFi.

Please help.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How to connect to the Internet/WiFi

Post by dolbyman »

You either forget wifi and use a cable connected to the rest of your network (best option)
Get a wifi bridge and connect the NAS network through that

do not fiddle with any wifi adapter on or in the NAS!
TheAnji
Starting out

Post by TheAnji »

Thank you dolbyman. From other post, Its so scary to see ransomware issues.
I never connect my NAS to Internet. I don't need any of Firmware updates.

Because of these warnings and error notifications .. my unit is keep blinking (LAN and all HDDs). Is there anyway I can turn it off?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You can connect the NAS to the internet without exposing it, do not enable upnp or manual port forwards on your router and your NAS won't become victim from external attacks (by exposure)

Most new NAS can switch off the LED's, check your interface (hardware control LED)
Last edited by dolbyman on Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

not sure about your network setup, can u elaborate?

scenario A
-------------

a normal setup would have the QNAP connected to your lan via ethernet to switch or router. And from the switch/router, it's connected to other devices on your lan.

For wifi, as long as u have a wireless ap (either a AIO router, or a dedicated wireless ap) which is on the same lan, then your nas should be accessible over wifi as well.

However this all assumes that
1. they are all on same subnet
2. no additional rules in your network which is blocking/limiting access to the devices on the lan

scenario B
-----------------

Or are you talking of a scenario where your nas is not using any wired connection, instead u want to use some sort of wifi addon/adaptor to connect wireless? You could do that, but i recommend the former option (scenario A) because wired has better performance, and you still have connectivity to the nas via wifi still. So unless there is a very good reason for using a scenario B, it's better to stick to scenario A setup.

TheAnji wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:15 am I am setting up my TVS-872xt.
I have lot of errors and warnings all stating that my device is not connected to the Internet. so lot of apps and firmwares not downloaded.

Question: How to connect this device to Internet through WiFi.

Please help.
it's a bit problematic to try and diagnose. becauz all u are telling us is the symptom that u have no internet access for the nas, i get that. but u don't elaborate your network setup, so how is anybody suppose to tell u based on that what u can do to troubleshoot the issue? u see the problem here :S

so anyway, i assume u can access the QNAP UI in QTS/QUTS hero? So then head down to virtual networking, under gateway and check ur settings there. Do u have a wan ip? based on your report it says no internet connectivity, i am guessing the wan ip is not shown because there is some misconfiguration.

the other place u can check is also your router.

The default setting for QNAP is to use DHCP, so your router will give ur QNAP NAS DHCP, so then your nas will then have internet access. This is the normal standard setting.

So i have to assume you are not using the standard setting and you changed something but did not tell us what changes those are :S

by the way internet connectivity for the qnap can mean 2 things

1. just so your qnap can access the internet to download qnap store apps. you can also check for new qnap firmware updates because it has internet connectivity. or to use downloadstation (or similar app) to download torrents as an example. it's safe to use the internet for this unless u download bad stuff that could potentially infect ur nas. the default qnap appcenter is fine, and qnapclub.eu third party store is ok as well.

2. remote access to your NAS from outside your lan over the internet. usually it's recommended to setup a VPN server so u can then access your nas remotely using a vpn client. The vpn server should ideally be on the router, or on say a raspberrypi. Just simply exposing your nas by just a simple port forward without vpn is what usually gives u a high chance of eventually getting infected with malware :S If you don't need remote access to the NAS over the internet, then best not to do it. But if u must, best use a VPN.

So i am assuming your talking about option 1 for your internet connecitivity yes? :) which should be fine, even i have this for my nas.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

one thing in virtual switch i noticed, if u dont setup the virtual network properly, then the qnap internet access might not work.

one section in that setting for example the dns, maybe try add 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 OR 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the dns; or have it obtain dns automatically which it will acquire from your router settings :'

u can either use DHCP so it will obtain lan ip from your router (if u do this way, make sure ur router reserves that dhcp lan ip for your QNAP), or setup a static ip on the QNAP directly.

to confirm if ur qnap has internet access, under the virtual network look at gateway, if it works ur wan ip should be displayed if not, then something is preventing ur qnap internet.

U may also want to check qufirewall, try disable and see if that gives ur nas internet access, if it does, could be that qufirewall was misconfigured.

this explains the setup for virtual network settings
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... ual-switch

Basically just checking ur settings under virtual networking and on router are both correct. If u are using additional stuff like managed switches etc, make sure those are all configured properly as well :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
TheAnji
Starting out

Post by TheAnji »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:00 pm
it's a bit problematic to try and diagnose. becauz all u are telling us is the symptom that u have no internet access for the nas, i get that. but u don't elaborate your network setup, so how is anybody suppose to tell u based on that what u can do to troubleshoot the issue? u see the problem here :S
Thank you Moogle. Really sorry, I am new to NAS.
I was asking in general like .. at home we have many devices like Phones/Tablets/TV/Streaming Devices/Mac etc .. all the devices, we just select the WiFi network, enter password and connect to WiFi. so their softwares will get updated automatically. I was expecting similar kind of option here. So the unit softwares will get updated automatically.

I am not looking to use any of the Network features from my NAS unit. I connected through Thunderbolt and use it for 4K Video editing only. May be will connect multiple computers through other ports.

I will look into other scenarios/suggestions you mentioned. Thanks a lot for the help.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

TheAnji wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:37 am
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:00 pm
Thank you Moogle. Really sorry, I am new to NAS.
I was asking in general like .. at home we have many devices like Phones/Tablets/TV/Streaming Devices/Mac etc .. all the devices, we just select the WiFi network, enter password and connect to WiFi. so their softwares will get updated automatically. I was expecting similar kind of option here. So the unit softwares will get updated automatically.

I am not looking to use any of the Network features from my NAS unit. I connected through Thunderbolt and use it for 4K Video editing only. May be will connect multiple computers through other ports.

I will look into other scenarios/suggestions you mentioned. Thanks a lot for the help.
so basically what u r saying is, your qnap is only just connected directly to a single client device like a PC via thunderbolt only?

i'm less knowledgable with the thunderbolt implementations since i never got the chance to use one. but i found this article that explains it
https://www.qnap.com/pl-pl/how-to/tutor ... ing-system

seems like connecting via thunderbolt, u can obtain a lan ip via DHCP (according to the article if i'm not mistaken). as long as there is networking for it to reach the router somehow, then you should be able to get internet connectivity for your NAS. Seeing as the guide says DHCP would work, i assume there should be internet access somehow? So sounds like u need to check ur thunderbolt interface and see if it's correctly setup, refer to the article.

for wifi access, that depends on your wifi access point, which is usually either a all in one (basically it's on your router), or you got a dedicated wireless access point (this is what i use. a unifi wireless ap). This wireless ap would then be on the same subnet lan network as the qnap. So then to access your QNAP via wifi, you just login via that wifi, then access your qnap which should be detected.

an example, for my own wireless usage, i use an android mobile, so i use FX file explorer to detect my NAS, then browse it's smb shares, then i can open video files using MX player to watch videos. QNAP also has their own native apps like qfile if u prefer :'

found some other sources that may shed some more info regarding thunderbolt setups for QNAP nas

https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _required/

if i am not mistaken, your situation seems to be this one. u need to figure this out so that your QNAP nas will get internet connectivity :'
Connecting to LAN via Thunderbolt port on TVS-x72XT
Hi,

I just got a TVS-472XT, and I was hoping to use the Thunderbolt port on it to connect to my LAN network, by setting up a Virtual Switch that contains both the Thunderbolt interface and the Ethernet interface that connects to the network, but somehow it is not working. When my computer connects, it gets a Link Local IP (169.254.x.x), so I know it's not connecting to the DHCP server on my router correctly.

I have looked into QNAP documentation, and they only cover the situation in which the Thunderbolt interface exist on its own default bridge. In that case I'll have to connect both the Thunderbolt cable and the Ethernet cable from my computer in order to access my local network. I'd rather just use the Thunderbolt cable since I don't see why that can't work.

Here's my network detail:

LAN: 192.168.1.0/24, router runs DHCP Server at 192.168.1.1.

The Virtual Switch gets a DHCP Reservation IP at 192.168.1.2.

The Thunderbolt should get an IP in the 192.168.1.0/24 network as well, but it gets 169.254.x.x instead.
tcodykb-

yeah, the 169.254.x.x is the typical ip that by default gets set to the Thunderbolt ports on those units, but what you're trying to do can be done. What you can do is create a new virtual switch and add both the ethernet port and the Thunderbolt port. You can do this by going to "Network & Virtual Switch" on the NAS setting the "Basic/Advanced" toggle to advanced, so that the "Virtual Switch" section is shown on the left side tab. Click the add button and then just go through the setup windows to create the Virtual Switch and be sure to check the boxes for the ethernet and Thunderbolt ports. Both ports connected to the virtual switch at that point should get the same ip address given through the networks DHCP server.

https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _tvsx72xt/
NAS

Network

Resources
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Note: Firmware and application updates can be downloaded from another device and manually install on the QNAP. Direct internet access is not required in those instances. However, antivirus and other databases are a different story. On a temporary basis, you may want to simply add a network connection from you NAS to your router once a month or so to simplify the firmware and application update process.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

For antivirus (at least for clamav), there is also a solution which do not require the NAS connected to internet: https://docs.clamav.net/appendix/CvdPrivateMirror.html.
You need another Linux based PC (i.e. raspberry Pi) for connection, but this is much more secure than a QNAP :wink: .

Regards
TheAnji
Starting out

Post by TheAnji »

I connected LAN wire. and clicked on Install the updates. its been 24 Hours .. still showing as "downloading ...". All apps :(
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Totally strange!
Did you refresh the browser?
Did you check connectivity by logging in with SSH and run i.e. a

Code: Select all

ping 8.8.8.8
and

Code: Select all

ping google.com
?

Regards
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Ensure you either have DHCP enabled for the network interface, or you have manually assigned an IP is the same subnet range as your router. Double check the subnet matches your setup too. Check what you have set for a default gateway and, as mentioned, the DNS servers.

Sounds like you simply didn't setup the networking properly. There are other steps other than just plugging in the cable.

Check in your router to see if the NAS shows up as a connected device and has been given internet access.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
TheAnji
Starting out

Post by TheAnji »

dosborne wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:26 am Ensure you either have DHCP enabled for the network interface, or you have manually assigned an IP is the same subnet range as your router. Double check the subnet matches your setup too. Check what you have set for a default gateway and, as mentioned, the DNS servers.

Sounds like you simply didn't setup the networking properly. There are other steps other than just plugging in the cable.

Check in your router to see if the NAS shows up as a connected device and has been given internet access.
I tried to connect to the router network thru 192.168.1.1. Seems I forgot pwd. and I don't want to reset the router now. I was able to install updates manually. Thank you for your time.
TheAnji
Starting out

Post by TheAnji »

dosborne wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:54 am Note: Firmware and application updates can be downloaded from another device and manually install on the QNAP. Direct internet access is not required in those instances. However, antivirus and other databases are a different story. On a temporary basis, you may want to simply add a network connection from you NAS to your router once a month or so to simplify the firmware and application update process.
Thank you dosborne .. I manually installed all the updates. My unit no longer required Internet.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”